Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first build - Help needed!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

Its time for me to get a new pc and this time i've decided to build it myself. The only problem is that I dont really have a clue about this kind of stuff but i am keen to learn.I hope to keep this thread going until i have the computer assembled and operational. Hopefully there will be lots of questions answered and i will post updates on my progress.

So to start I spent the last few days educating myself on what products i need to buy. My budget is 1000-1500 euro. I intend for the computer to be multi purpose but mainly used for gaming.

Now I am looking for some advice on my product selection. I have done my best to make sure that everything is compatible. So here it is:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 tray, 12MB, LGA775, 64bit

GPU - Powercolor HD4870 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 ,Intel X48, ATX, PCI-Express

Hard drive - Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II

Internal drive - NEC Opti AD7201S

RAM - 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X DHX CL5, PC6400/800

Case - Antec P182, ATX

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-U12P New, AM2+/775/1366

PSU - Corsair Memory 750W TX SERIES ATX

This set up is costing about 1250 euro and thats with hardwareversand.de. I still want to cost it with Irish companies. Most of the parts are from a build i came across in an article but i chopped and changed a few.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either upgrading or downgrading certain components to either save money or optimise performance? I am looking for the perfect balance. If it exists:).

All help/advice is very much appreciated. Now i must go and start reading up on how to assemble everything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

that is a solid build my friend.
    here are some of the parts from komplett.ie preatty good components website and along with my recommendations

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz = 179
    The reason im suggestiong q6600 is because the extra 140 you pay on the q9550 does not pay off in the end. You can easily overclock q6600 to a 3.6ghz with a decent cooler. If you are still unsure about it then there is plenty of info about q6600 vs q9550 just google it.

GPU - Powercolor HD4870 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express = 250
    that is a very good card and 1gb for 250 is a great deal

Motherboard - Asus P5Q, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, = 120
    The motheroard you picked has alot of stuff you dont need..like 8xsata and 3xfirewire which you hardly will ever use. The Asus p5q is a great board lost of overclocking options and has everything you need. At the moment sli is not popular, it is better to invest in one great card(4870) instead of 2 cards. Depends on you man ..if you want to go sli then there are sli ready boards for around 180.

HD - Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB SATA2 = 109
    There has been alot of complaints about samsung hd's and western digital have been really popular and told to be stable and fast. i currently own a 640 one and its really fast and havent had a problem with it.

DVD Drive - NEC Opti AD7201S = 21

RAM - OCZ nVIDIA SLI DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, = 60
    Great ram lost of positive reviews and my friend has one of those works

Case
    - AAntec Performance P182 Miditower, = 130
    :d Once again my friend has one of those..its huge compared to my minitower..lots of space..lots of cooling..great case.

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-U12P New, AM2+/775/1366 =50
    Looks good..i would read some reviews on coolers see what are better options. sites like newegg.com have lots of reviews on cpucoolers. All the coolers http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10547

PSU
    - Corsair Powersupply 750W Black, ATX/EPS, =115
    lol again my friend has one of those..good psu.

Total= 1034 Which is a well solid build my friend.

If you are really into gaming i would suggest getting the best cooler you can get overclocking the q6600 to 3.8Ghz Which i have seen done..and investing in a 4870 X2(480euro) that should have you sorted.
    Otherwise this looks like a solid build.
    If you have anymore questions or you are unsure do ask. Building the comp isnt that hard...i learned in 4 days before assembling my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A TB drive is grand for storage but add a smaller disk for your OS. Samsung HDDs are excellent tbph - never a peep from my own of over a year - but 1,024GB takes a long time to format, defrag etc ;)

The only thing I'm unsure of performance-and-reliability-wise is OCZ RAM as suggested above; not too sure about their reputation/build quality etc. Maybe someone else will come in on that.

Otherwise I like what I see - the Antec 182 is a little big given only 1 GFX card etc but handy for upgrading.

The rest of those parts shouldn't let you down - and the way prices are going it may not be a bad idea to save the hassle and use Komplett, especially looking at the price above.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

some reviews on the ram if you are unsure

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269

you can also pick wichever ram you would like to buy and just look at the reviews on that site^

good luck with the build

Advertisement