Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to college for degree?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for a bit of career advice, I know there's alot of similar threads and I've read through a few, but would like a few answers relevent to my situation.

Bit of bacakground...at the moment I'm working in a non-IT related job (music business), it's a job I love but it's also very up and down, and if I'm to be honest it's only part-time, with only a handful of full-time jobs in the industry. I would love to continue with it but have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if by Summer '09 things are still part-time based I'm going to move on.

I find myself with plenty of free time, so have started studying for some IT qualifications (A+ at the moment, followed by Network+). I've always had an interest in computers; I did Computer Science in college for a year before dropping out and going down the music business route, and in the past year I've done a bit of C/C++ self study, so it's a subject I'm interested in and even enjoy studying. I'd probably be more interested in system admin/server/support side of things as opposed to programming though.

So...

How important is a Computer Science degree in getting a decent IT job? Looking down through available jobs it's mentioned pretty often. Is it worth going back to college to get, or am I just as well building up my certifications and gaining experience in whatever IT job I can get to start with?

Is it possible to take a part-time course to get a degree so that I can still work and gain experience? Full-time is out of the question in my situation. Has anybody taken a part-time course resulting in an IT degree that they can recommend?

I'm 23 now, would it be a bad idea to wait 2 or 3 years and see how I progress on certifications alone before deciding to go back for a degree?

I've a few other questions but if anybody could give me an insight into them I'd much appreciate it!

Advertisement