Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't all new Xbox360s have an HDMI port?

• 03-12-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

So my launch console died a couple of weeks back - first RROD and I sent it back to Microsoft for repair/replacement. I got the replacement back today and a letter attached notes that it is a replacement unit, rather than a repair. My original unit was manufactured in 2006, this one has a manufacturing date of 10-10-2008... but I thought all new units now have an HDMI port? This one though looks the same as my last premium one: silver drive tray, no HDMI port... I am missing something or have they stuck a new label over an older unit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nope,

They dont necessarily have to send you one with a HDMI port, the machine you sent them never had one so they dont have to honour it, the machine you received is more than likely just a refurbished console with the new manufacturing date on it!

Its just pot luck if you'll get one with HDMI.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Yep its a refurb then. Unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Looks like its just all new retail models have HDMI. refurbs no. At least it works, not Like HDMI is the greatest thing in the world anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks everyone - I'm not too concerned about the lack of HDMI, component looks great on my TV anyway. I was more worried about if this is an old console that'll go RROD down the line as well (well soon I mean, I'm pretty sure it'll die eventually anyway). It does sound a hell of a lot quieter than my hoover-level launch one...

Anyway, it's good to be able to play some GOW2 once more :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Technically is that possible? I thought there was zero signal loss over HDMI compared to other inputs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The Arcade model doesn't come with HDMI AFAIK, just the Premium and Elite ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sorry for the horribly noob question but one area of tech that I have never kept up with is LCD, Plasma & HD tv's.

I have a launch 360 and tried plugging it into a friends flatscreen LCD but could not get a picture. Is another type of cable needed to get it to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    The Arcade model doesn't come with HDMI AFAIK, just the Premium and Elite ...

No, the arcade DOES have a hdmi port. Definitely!!

Only the elite, however has a hdmi lead included, even though any aul hdmi lead will work with the hdmi ports on the arcade and pro models

In terms of cabling, this is how it is;

Arcade: Composite cable with scart adapter

Pro: Hybrid Composite/Component cable with scart adapter

Elite: Hybrid Composite/Component cable with scart adapter, and, an official hdmi lead as well as one of these Used if you want hdmi for picture but still want audio via optical or RCA
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    Sorry for the horribly noob question but one area of tech that I have never kept up with is LCD, Plasma & HD tv's.

I have a launch 360 and tried plugging it into a friends flatscreen LCD but could not get a picture. Is another type of cable needed to get it to work?

It will plug in to a flat screen tv with the basic cable for sure. It just wont be displaying in HD. To get HD, you'd need the component hd cable, or the vga HD cable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zonda999 wrote: »
    No, the arcade DOES have a hdmi port. Definitely!!

It just doenst come with the cable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

When it comes to which picture is better HDMI (digital) or Component (analog) there is no definite winner. It all depends on loads of factors, the video source , the distance from the video source to the video output( TV/monitor), the type of image processor in the tv. Loads of factors.
    For instance HDMI over a long distance I think over 40feet, you completely lose the signal, were analog can manage this no problem.
    Same goes for digital v anaglog sound. Lots still swear by analog. Even the best recording studios still use analog mixers.
    Personally I have 2 360's set up in different rooms one analog and the other digital, and i'm happy with the way both look and sound.
    I always thought digital was better myself but read a bit on analog v digital and now I'm not so sure.
    Read the article below. Has more detail
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I've never found any difference either tbh. the problem with component at this stage, though is that before long, they'll no longer be put into new tvs. Hdmi is really the connector manufacturers are concentrating on. Many new tvs now have 4 hdmi ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Looks like its just all new retail models have HDMI. refurbs no. At least it works, not Like HDMI is the greatest thing in the world anyway.

When my console got the RROD the console sent back to me had HDMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Vegeta wrote: »
    When my console got the RROD the console sent back to me had HDMI.

Maybe it's pot luck... Or maybe because this was my first replacement with them they are chancing their arm, rather than sending a newer model (with HDMI). Did you only ever have the one RROD?

Advertisement