Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not exactly a problem - but confused

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i work for a government agency and we have redundancies coming up, i have heard a rumour for the lenght of time there i would be entitled to 20k

so do i take voluntary, pay off all my debts and pray to god that i get another job

or just hope to keep my job and just be happy i have a job (i have a mortgage)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Difficult one.

Personally I would take a risk and go for the 20k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

For 20k, I'd take it

But work out how much you'll actually have after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

i work for a government agency and we have redundancies coming up, i have heard a rumour for the lenght of time there i would be entitled to 20k

so do i take voluntary, pay off all my debts and pray to god that i get another job

or just hope to keep my job and just be happy i have a job (i have a mortgage)

20k isn't a lot these days, I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

I agree that 20k wont get you very far these days, plus the fact you have a mortgage to pay.
    I would stick with the job, you may get a better offer in a couple of years time.
    Now is not a good time to even consider giving up a job never mind trying to find another one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if you had a job lined up straight away or a few weeks away i would go for it and clear off a few small debts ie credit cards, overdraft etc and pocket the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think i have decided to say in my job ,

20k is nothing in this day and age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good choice, 20k would not last you any length whatsoever so I'm glad you have decided to stay in your job. Without the mortgage I would have said take the 20k and enjoy some traveling but I think you have picked the smartest option available to you. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

20k is nothing in this day and age :(

Not to a woman of your needs, it's not.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

20k is nothing in this day and age

Agreed.
    Considering how difficult it would be to find another job these days, you could have it spent on just surviving before you found another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Considering how difficult it would be to find another job these days, you could have it spent on just surviving before you found another one.

+1 with a lot of stress in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Fingers crossed that they get enough on the voluntary and they dont just sack me anyway :rolleyes:

Advertisement