Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever have Problems Buying Games?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I was up in Newry there yesterday getting Christmas Presents, I seen that new game 'Lips' for the Xbox 360, perfect present for my sister, I brought it up to the tills.

"What age are you?"

I mumble "Twenty...? Why?" The game clearly has '12' on it and i point that out to her.

"Its just that the system is saying its for 21's or over, Can i see some ID please?"

So i embarrassingly show her my passport and she says it alright, So i got the game.

I have had problems before with games over 18 and even a 16's game once! I bring my passport everywhere with me, Its great flashing the passport in their face. There was one guy that asked me for ID and he was trying to work out my age on the passport and all his colleagues were ripping it out of him that he couldn't work out the year and calling him 'Detective'. :D

Has anyone ever had the problem of buying an over 18's game? And what are your experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

For your sister??? A likely story:p

I usually shave once a week (towards the middle), so usually look old/scruffy enough for people to not bother asking me for ID

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm 25, so going into a game shop I look like some sad old git anyway, I would take being ID'ed as a compliment. I now buy my games from the comfort of an office chair.

You should have asked her why this would be 21s, its not a nightclub and I believe the highest legal games rating is 18s, no?

Also, Lips, shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm going to assume this is Game. They have a new policy where if someone looks under 21 when buying an 18s game you have to ID them. The till constantly says "Think 21". I think she just got confused with the new policy.

If you get IDed please don't get offended or shout at the staff. If they're stung selling games to someone underage they could lose their job, get fined and potentially end up with a criminal record. The company gets off scott free, it's the individual employee who has to face the consequences. I know for a fact that this is UK law but I've been struggling to find a source for Ireland but apparently it's the same here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In my own retailing experience it is not the same here. I once missed a new staff member renting out SAW to a 7 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

When I was in New York a couple of years ago my brother and I were in Walmart. He spies this Diablo box set (marked 'M') so he goes up to buy it, I was behind him in the queue (I was only getting some CDs). So he gets asked for ID and being under 18 is refused. So I say I'll get it for him. Woman at register doesn't have a problem with that and I show her my ID. Then some woman who was infront of my brother in the queue butts in, and says I can't do that, I can't 'just buy it for him'. I just told her I don't see how that's any of her business.

I can understand employees asking you for ID, but WTF would you do if some sap in the queue behind or in front of you made it their business what you're gaming habits were. :mad: Damn Americans.

It's pretty retarded to be carded when you're buying Lips. Surely common sense overrides what the 'system' says?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They ID everyone that buys games in america. Was in Boston last year and got asked for ID when buying Bioshock. I was 24 then and definitely don't have youthful looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Attol wrote: »
    I'm going to assume this is Game. They have a new policy where if someone looks under 21 when buying an 18s game you have to ID them. The till constantly says "Think 21". I think she just got confused with the new policy.

If you get IDed please don't get offended or shout at the staff. If they're stung selling games to someone underage they could lose their job, get fined and potentially end up with a criminal record. The company gets off scott free, it's the individual employee who has to face the consequences. I know for a fact that this is UK law but I've been struggling to find a source for Ireland but apparently it's the same here too.

Want to spoon feed some more Bull**** to us? The ages on British and Irish games are a recommendation from a Reviewer set up by games companys. There is currently no laws against sales of games to minors, and even if their was in future you would never ever see a criminal record come out of it.

You wont get a crinimal record, but what of the person/shop that sells you the game if caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I once saw a teller explaining to a Mother why GTA san andreas was not suitable for her 10-12 year old boy who was standing beside her. After two minutes of him explaining about the drugs, sex, violence the kid said "Just buy it mom". And she did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm 25, so going into a game shop I look like some sad old git anyway, I would take being ID'ed as a compliment. I now buy my games from the comfort of an office chair.

You should have asked her why this would be 21s, its not a nightclub and I believe the highest legal games rating is 18s, no?

Also, Lips, shame on you!
    Ha, you think you look sad? I'm 28 ffs so walking into a games shop feels strange. Then again, I soon ask myself wtf I'm doing in a rip-off merchants like GAME anyway and go home to order online :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You wont get a crinimal record, but what of the person/shop that sells you the game if caught?

Is this the same as when kids are sold over 18's movies, drink or smokes? A slap on the wrist and a warning.But there is no law for games, they don't come under the censors office reign of terror for ratings. They can ban games outright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Please dont anyone bring america into this debate, the country that lets you buy assault weapons from gun fairs makes it far harder to buy booze.

I was going to a family barbeque, my dad was buying the alcohol, I think I was about 17 at the time and the cashier gave out to him for letting me wheel the trolley out of the store because I was underage. God knows the mayhem that would have ensued had I actually wheeled it outside: SWAT teams, snipers, etc.

Anyway I guess its fair enough if they just ask, I've had my little Garda ID since I was 18 so its always on my wallet. I think she should have had a bit of cop-on though and seen you were an older looking (maybe?) chap buying a singing game and not a 12 year old buying Leisure Suit Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I used to get bored in my old job so id try ID the little old ladies coming in for a loaf of bread and a pack of cigarettes

"im very sorry about this but the law now says i have to see some id before i can sell you cigarettes or alcohol"

look of panic sets in because they havent had an id in 20 years..

*mawk stays completely straight faced for 10 seconds

"nah! im just foolin with ya! here you go"

grannies:"oh you! i guess i should take it as a compliment?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha, you think you look sad? I'm 28 ffs so walking into a games shop feels strange. :D

Eh? why? i'm older than that (slightly!) i have no qualms about going into a games shop... did i miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Never had any problems getting games when I was younger and now I get them all online so no problems.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eh? why? i'm older than that (slightly!) i have no qualms about going into a games shop... did i miss something?
    Ack, I don't actually feel strange :) it's just funny how (typically) I'm the oldest customer in the shop & everyone else is half my age (yet holding games with big '18's stickers on them but that's a different story).

For all the talk about how gaming has grown up & the average gamer being a 20 something, the shops don't seem to reflect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ack, I don't actually feel strange :) it's just funny how (typically) I'm the oldest customer in the shop & everyone else is half my age (yet holding games with big '18's stickers on them but that's a different story).

For all the talk about how gaming has grown up & the average gamer being a 20 something, the shops don't seem to reflect that.

Oh, i get you now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I was I'ded buying Far Cry 2 the other day, but then again I am 17 so that might have had something to do with it. No bother in HMV though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

When ever there is a GTA game released, the staff are like vultures for ID, Looking under 18 has its good and bads, Like going to a club and them telling you "Sorry mate 21s only tonight" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    When ever there is a GTA game released, the staff are like vultures for ID, Looking under 18 has its good and bads, Like going to a club and them telling you "Sorry mate 21s only tonight" :D
    I was asked "I assume your 18" for GTA IV..Yes i replied in my uniform:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Want to spoon feed some more Bull**** to us? The ages on British and Irish games are a recommendation from a Reviewer set up by games companys. There is currently no laws against sales of games to minors, and even if their was in future you would never ever see a criminal record come out of it.

This is what my employer has told me and what I was also told when working in the UK in a games retailer.

Ok, say I don't get fined. I'll still lose my job. It's not worth it. I need my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Buying games is the one area this has not happened to me that I can remember. I've always looked about 3 years younger then I am and it sucks. Can't see the benefit:( I was born in 85 dammit. These people asking for my ID are accusing me of being born in the feckin 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The previous poster is correct in that this is how Game trains their employees. They are informed that the responsibility is on them, told that they will pick up a criminal record, and most importantly, that it will cost them their job if they're found to be selling to an underage customer.

Doesn't matter if it's an 18 or a 12 game, their policy is the same. Staff can get a severe reprimand just for failing to ask for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I've had a few of these over the years:

This is sad as hell looking back on it, but I was once denied when i tried to purchase GTA 1 (yes, the top down one) on the PC when it was released here. Oddly, the cashier had no qualms in selling me Quake 2, which I gladly purchased instead!

Another time, I was on a mission to buy Mortal Kombat II for the snes, a game I had been anticipating with a fervour greater than a fundie anticipates the end times.
    To my horror I was refused, so in a moment of desperation, I went out on the street and asked a total stranger if he would buy it for me (Nerds ask for dodgy games instead of booze you see)! To my great relief he complied and I was soon sixty punts lighter in the wallet for what was a decidedly average game! Yay me.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

they seem to want to put strict age limits on everything these days. violent games only cause people who already have violent tendencies to do something harmful to someone else, not normal people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Attol wrote: »

The previous poster is correct in that this is how Game trains their employees. They are informed that the responsibility is on them, told that they will pick up a criminal record, and most importantly, that it will cost them their job if they're found to be selling to an underage customer.

Doesn't matter if it's an 18 or a 12 game, their policy is the same. Staff can get a severe reprimand just for failing to ask for ID.

IIRC Game get fined too, who subsequently try to pass the fine on to you, as well as any charges that arise. I do agree that if you do get asked, don't lose it with the staff. It's not their policy they just have to enforce it.

Also IIRC, some games used to be classified by the film board. Certain games get a film (BBFC?) 18's cert as well as / as opposed to the ERSB or whatever they're called these days. I wonder if you are liable for prosecution if you sell one of those to a minor (or whether you still see them around).

I worked in Game around the time GTA 3 and VC came out. We really were like vultures for ID. We got a lot of that "I don't care what age it is" from parents who bought it straight after we'd refused their child (I was even told off once...). I'd offer a warning on the content as I sold it, that was my way of getting over the situation. It's ridiculous when a parent is afraid of their child. It wasn't as mental as it is now though, crazy what a bit of bad press in a UK rag can do! :D

I once stopped a kid buying GTA:London. Actually come to think of it if I was ever bored or if they'd p*ssed me off I'd do it if the game was 15+. Does that make me evil? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

GothPunk wrote: »
    It's pretty retarded to be carded when you're buying Lips. Surely common sense overrides what the 'system' says?

Was possibly this lady behind the till though ;)
    carol-beer-computer-says-no.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Was possibly this lady behind the till though ;)
    carol-beer-computer-says-no.jpg

:D She actually looked like a dyke, They all look like Dykes in Newry? Its mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I've never been Id'd buying a game. Then again, I'm a girl so they probably presume I'm buying it for someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Like I say, staff in Game won't just get reprimanded for selling a game to an underage customer, they'll get the head eaten off them just for failing to ask. She had to ask you, or her manager would have lost the rag with her. They're extremely strict.

Advertisement