Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever have Problems Buying Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

when i wa 12 i wanted to buy tomb raider in argos,it was 15+ so they wouldnt sell it to me,i just got my sis to get it for me. Never been asked for id for a game after that even when getting 18+ games when i was 16,17. If someone ever asked me for id for a game i would tell them to leave it,ill go give my business to another shop. Not showing my id for a game,id find it quite insulting if i was asked for id for a game,dont mind drink etc but not games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Attol wrote: »
    This is what my employer has told me and what I was also told when working in the UK in a games retailer.

Ok, say I don't get fined. I'll still lose my job. It's not worth it. I need my job.

Not to go all legalaise here, but if I was fired from Game for selling game without asking for ID and there was no documentation or terms in the contract that specified it, then I would sue the pants off them for unfair dismissal. It's not illegal. At a guess I would say game do it to avoid the bad publicity in case some reporter decides to do a article about it.
    The previous poster is correct in that this is how Game trains their employees. They are informed that the responsibility is on them, told that they will pick up a criminal record, and most importantly, that it will cost them their job if they're found to be selling to an underage customer.

Doesn't matter if it's an 18 or a 12 game, their policy is the same. Staff can get a severe reprimand just for failing to ask for ID.

So they lie to their staff and unlike every newsagent and off-license I have been in, decide to ignore common sense? I suppose its just another reason to not shop there.

In case anybody was wondering, I was asked for ID in GAME two or three years ago. I laughed, threw the game on the counter and bought it in HMV 5 minutes later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont see why people are so annoyed about this? Its the same as any form of entertainment. Ratings are a good thing people, and i'm delighted that stores are enforcing the rules. I wish they'd get stricter. The ratings are there for a reason, and i genuinly cant see why anyone would get annoyed about it (bar someone not getting served a game they want).

So next time some 15 year old guns down 20 people and his parents blame it on GTA4, we can quite rightly tell them to shut the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

In case anybody was wondering, I was asked for ID in GAME two or three years ago. I laughed, threw the game on the counter and bought it in HMV 5 minutes later.

Yeah, and that staff member probably just sold it to the guy behind you.

I don't get who people think they're punishing by acting like JR bloody Ewing in a game shop.

The terms of the contract specify that you must obey Game policy, and that includes their policy regarding age ratings. Failing to do so incurs penalties, including dismissal. Regardless of whether or not there are actual legal penalties for selling to underage customers in this country, Game have extremely strict rules about it, and will have no problem at all cutting somebody loose if they fail to abide by them.

There's no grounds for unfair dismissal if you've already agreed to work under those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

funny seeing everyone else gets caught i never do.

Back when I was 14 I bought GTA on release day without a hassle(I had alot of stubble so I was passed off as old) and to make it even funnier someone in my school who was just nearly 17 was refused the game because he had no ID.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and that staff member probably just sold it to the guy behind you.

I don't get who people think they're punishing by acting like JR bloody Ewing in a game shop.

The terms of the contract specify that you must obey Game policy, and that includes their policy regarding age ratings. Failing to do so incurs penalties, including dismissal. Regardless of whether or not there are actual legal penalties for selling to underage customers in this country, Game have extremely strict rules about it, and will have no problem at all cutting somebody loose if they fail to abide by them.

There's no grounds for unfair dismissal if you've already agreed to work under those terms.

Damm you, I had to google to find out who JR Ewing was. I don't care if the Staff member sold it to the guy behind me, I have not bought a game in 3 years from that store. Thats well over a few hundred in sales lost. I hope in future, as games becomes even more mainstream and Sales are less reliant on gifts, that people will vote with their feet.

As for the other bit;
    If the contract states it, then fine do it. If you want to be a thorn in their side, ask every single customer you see for ID. That includes obvious pensioners. When asked to tone it down, ask for in writing exactley how you are supposed to define the age of the person you are looking at in order to justify asking for ID. Proceed to abuse the descriptions. When fired, sue.

That being said, I would just quit. It's a crap, go no-where job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you misunderstood her. they have a new thing where they have to id anyone who doesnt look over 21(she may have mentioned something about "challenge 21" or some crap) but not on 12+ games really as it is just ridiculous. She may have been new too as it is christmas time so you have to be easy one these people and dont be silly about getting asked for ID

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've been IDed in HMV and XV in the past too for DVDs. It's not that uncommon and the policy has been enforced in any of the 3 different games retailers I've worked for.

As far as part-time jobs go I think mine isn't half bad but thanks for your concern.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    you misunderstood her. they have a new thing where they have to id anyone who doesnt look over 21(she may have mentioned something about "challenge 21" or some crap) but not on 12+ games really as it is just ridiculous. She may have been new too as it is christmas time so you have to be easy one these people and dont be silly about getting asked for ID

Heres my problem. I look quite young. But I also wear a suit, pay with a credit card and have more grey hair then people in their 60's. So when I get asked for ID for anything besides booze, I never go back there. There is no such thing as a person who looks over 21. Its rubbish. If the policy said, anybody under 30 produce ID, then great. Thats a large enough gap to remove the margin for error. But I know 26-28 year olds who can pass for 16 and I know 14 year olds that could nearly pass for 30 until they start talking.

Feel free to "Challenge me", just don't expect my money ever again. I hope at least some policy makers read this. Tell your staff to use common sense and allow them to make mistakes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MOD WARNING: If you want use to allow these consumer issues threads, could everybody keep the emotive and offense words to a minimum. Thanks.
    Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    She actually looked like a dyke, They all look like Dykes in Newry? Its mad!

Any more comments like that and expect a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

monument wrote: »

Any more comments like that and expect a ban.

But isnt that the guy from little Britain in that pic? I seriously thought it was :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If I was asked for ID when buying a game I would put the game on the counter and walk out of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But isnt that the guy from little Britain in that pic? I seriously thought it was :confused:
    He was referring to the comment about Newry. :p

Never had any bother myself, but I haven't bought a game in a brick and mortar shop for the past year or more.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If I was asked for ID when buying a game I would put the game on the counter and walk out of the shop.

Why though?

I don't get this, I just don't get why people are insulted by somebody ID'ing them. What's the big deal? What point are you making by buying elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Feel free to "Challenge me", just don't expect my money ever again. I hope at least some policy makers read this. Tell your staff to use common sense and allow them to make mistakes.

well youre just the ****in big person arent you thowing your game at the counter and buying it elsewhere. The problem is these "mistakes" that they could let them make could end up with big fines and court cases which have happened. you get parents in irate that their little darling of 16 or whatever was allowed buy an 18s game. the ratings are there for a reason and the rules must be applied. if youre too cool to show ID then you need a smack round the head. "its only a game". so what!

Why though?

I don't get this, I just don't get why people are insulted by somebody ID'ing them. What's the big deal? What point are you making by buying elsewhere?

Its humiliating as its an insinuation that you are a child and not an adult. I'm nearly 24 and if someone ID's me then they are implying they suspect me of being 17 years old at most.

It does not make for a pleasurable customer experience when your dealing with the gestapo , asking to see your papers every time you wanna buy something. As if your somehow in the wrong for wanting to buy it. A shop should not make you feel guilty for wanting to buy a product.

Not to be snarky about it or anything but really, it's all in your head.

It's standard procedure. They ask literally everybody. There's no accusation involved, they aren't trying to condescend, they aren't implying that they think you're immature. They just need to be able to tick the box on the till that says they asked.

Why would they think you were wrong for wanting a game?

I'm just explaining how the customer feels since you did not seem to understand why people find it really rude.

& no they don't ask everybody. If this was the case and it was 'standard procedure' to supply identification when purchasing video games etc then maybe we would not feel singled out.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I'm just explaining how the customer feels since you did not seem to understand why people find it really rude.

& no they don't ask everybody. If this was the case and it was 'standard procedure' to supply identification when purchasing video games etc then maybe we would not feel singled out.

Well clearly there are a lot of people not doing their jobs. It is standard procedure in most major retailers.

lol to ask every single person buying a game for their ID? LOL. I've never once been asked ID for a game. But if I was , I would be pissed. I bought 4 copies of L4D for the PC in gamestop recently, if I was feckin ID'd I'd never shop there again.

• Advertisement

Well then you don't look young enough to be IDed. I'm 21 and regularly get IDed. I don't get offended when it happens. I know I don't look 17, some people who work in shops are just more careful than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

It's not insulting at all to be I'ded for an 18's product. Just watch Dave Gorman's Googlewack Adventure for an example of when you should be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

i dont mind getting id'd for drink but id'ing for games is a joke,they cant harm the buyer unlike alcohol which can,so i dont feel the 18's cert is needed for games,they should allow anyone who at least looks 17 to buy it,these age limits are there to stop kids buying violent games,noone gives a damn about 17 year olds and its because by that age we already have come across a lot more than anything they can put in a game

I'm not gonna get into a discussion regarding the actual merits of selling violent games to kids, 'cause to be honest, I sympathise. But until Joe Duffy & chums, comes around to our way of thinking, game shops won't take that risk.

And Gerry bloody Ryan, who I'm told once announced to his audience that you can "rape a granny" in GTA. Yeah, cheers Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why though?

I am 28 and the idea of some little **** in his late teens asking for ID annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Want to spoon feed some more Bull**** to us? The ages on British and Irish games are a recommendation from a Reviewer set up by games companys. There is currently no laws against sales of games to minors, and even if their was in future you would never ever see a criminal record come out of it.

this is true

video game age ratings are strictly voluntary, no legal action can come from staff selling a game with a non legally recognised rating to someone below the rating

its not like movies where they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I think I was ID'ed for a game once (RE4 Wii maybe), when I was 18 and I just said "Seriously?" and handed over my credit card, and the guy smiled and shut up.
    Common sense should prevail here, because when kids end up with 18s games, I'll wager that 99% of the time, the parents bought the game for them, and there seems to be no way of getting through to them. Even the massive 18s logo doesn't seem to work.

That said, I've always wondered, if a BBFC rating on a game is legally enforceable here, because a PEGI (or ELSPA back when) rating isn't, so it can only be store policy that dictates not selling it to a minor, and there's no way to get the clerk in legal trouble.

Attol wrote: »
    Well then you don't look young enough to be IDed. I'm 21 and regularly get IDed. I don't get offended when it happens. I know I don't look 17, some people who work in shops are just more careful than others.

LOL. Man read my other posts. While I'm 23, I'd say people put me at about 19/20 when they see me. But when I'm buying drink, or hell, the freaking lotto the other day, I'll get Id'd 60% of the time. (It depends on where I go, in centra my chances of being id'd skyrockets. But in my local offo, I was ID'd once, and never again.)

When I was 18-21 I was ID'd 90% of the time. (cept my local offo)

However, I've been buying games in shops since I was about 13 and have never been IDed, ever!
    It's not insulting at all to be I'ded for an 18's product. .

Man thats fine when your actually a teenager. Talk to me when you're in your mid twenties +

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I was buying Assassins Creed a few weeks ago, It had 16s on the case, But the guy was very skeptical about selling it and kept asking his work mate "Is this not 18s? Can i sell it?" Your man working there looked about twelve! :D

I was recently going to my local pool for adult swims, And they asked me for ID? I thought he was joking, But he wasn't laughing. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mawk wrote: »
    grannies:"oh you! i guess i should take it as a compliment?"
    Pwor! You're in there!

I don't remember ever being asked for ID for a game. I only ever carried ID for 4 years in college, before/after that I've had no need for it.

Advertisement