Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapping a Van

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

So my Dad unfortunately passed away this year and we have to get rid of his van that's sitting outside our home at the moment. It's pretty old and now it seems the starting motor has gone on it. We're not looking to sell it but we need/really want to get rid of before Christmas as it's just a constant reminder.

Anyone have any ideas what the best way to get rid of it would be? Like I said, if someone would just take the thing, we would be happy with that. But as I said, that could involve towing it..

All suggestions welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

What make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Im sorry to here about your dad

Im sure if you give some info on the van make year condition etc and were the van is someone on here or adverts would take it there is also a person with a tow truck on adverts that im sure he will take it away

I might even take it pending on info

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Thanks, It's an '01 Renault Master. Like I said the starting motor appears to be gone. There is a dint in the side of it and the back door lock is a bit faulty but apart from that I think it's ok. There was only a new battery put in it last year or two as well I think. Like I said though, we're not looking for any money for it. Just want it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

There's a section on adverts.ie for free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Hi .Sorry for your loss.Its always difficult to deal with the possessions of a deceased family member.I know the car dealers are taking back end of life vehicles so maybe if you contacted Renault they might be able to do something for you as im not sure if the scheme covers vans.You will probably have to pay to move it to the premises and do some paper work.

• Advertisement

felim wrote: »
    There's a section on adverts.ie for free stuff.

Thanks I'll put it in there.

fastrac wrote: »
    Hi .Sorry for your loss.Its always difficult to deal with the possessions of a deceased family member.I know the car dealers are taking back end of life vehicles so maybe if you contacted Renault they might be able to do something for you as im not sure if the scheme covers vans.You will probably have to pay to move it to the premises and do some paper work.

Yeah that's anothe option as well. The closest one to us is probably in Arklow so if all else fails I will definitely contact them. I probably will have to pay to get it there unless we can miraculously get it started just once..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Id be happy to take the van of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That van, ding, door and starter aside is still probably worth a few quid. Might be worth selling (at a rock bottom price to ensure sale). Defo wouldn't be giving it away for free

EPM wrote: »
    That van, ding, door and starter aside is still probably worth a few quid. Might be worth selling (at a rock bottom price to ensure sale). Defo wouldn't be giving it away for free

Thanks EPM, it might be worth considering. I haven't been home in a bit so need to look at mileage etc. Woud you get a grand for it would you say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

First,
    Sorry for your loss.
    To be honest, you probally will not get €1000 for it, especially before x-mas. Regarding the circumstances, not starting and not knowing the real condition of the van, you would be lucky to get €500, sold as seen.
    Then again, the right man could be looking for just that van, and as you say it could be in perfect working order.
    Its really up to you. If you want to get rid of it before x-mas, give it away. No questions asked.
    If you want to make a few quid, fix starter, drive it and see if nothing major is wrong and then sell it.
    Depending on the condition, you could get a grand alright. But that would be after x-mas unless you were very lucky.
    Anyway, someone on here already offered to take it off you, so at least that won't be a pain for you.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You say the starter motor seems gone. Could it just be a flat battery by any chance?

Not your ornery onager

We thought it was a flat battery at first but we had jump leads on it for a good while and still couldn't start it. You can hear it trying to start but just not clicking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Could be just sticking, find the starter motor and get someone to hit it with a rubber mallet when you try start it. mite get it spinning again

Advertisement