Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Condensation

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but surely you Handy Andy's might have some ideas?

I'm renting a 2 year old property, been here for nearly 2 months now. There are venetian blinds on our bedroom window and a lot of condensation builds up on the glass behind them. I open windows to air the room, but there still seems to be a lot of condensation. When I was cleaning today I noticed that mould had started to grow along the edges of the windows.

Any ideas what's causing this and any ideas on how to solve it?

We live on a busy city centre street and it's winter so keeping a window open 24/7 isn't an option...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Assuming it an oldish house / apartment - lack of adequate ventilation is causing your problem. There are a number of recent threads on this subject. Have a look at them.

There are a number of threads this week on condensation - exactly at the time the weather has got alot colder - coincidence?
    I'm assuming people are closing their windows / vents, staying in for longer periods and noticing an increase in condensation, due to a decrease in ventilation.

Fletch123, Open the window, or insert an external wall vent, or buy / rent a dehumidifier or cease sleeping in the room!

Poor ventilation = condensation = mould growth = health risks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

RKQ pretty much sums it up there; I live in a 10 year old house and even with sensible precautions (adequate heating, ventilation etc) condensation is inevitable at this time of year especially. In a new build scenario it would be possible to eliminate any risk of condensation through good insulation and a proper HRV system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

RKQ has pretty muched covered it. Your simplest solution will probably be the dehumidifier, particularly if it is rented accommodation, landlord won't be interested in cost of vents etc. There are a variety of different models - some just condense the moisture out of the air, others combine a heating fan with a condenser. You will be surprised at the amount of moisture the units will collect overnight - several litres - particularly if you are cooking, drying laundry etc in the flat. One point though, the fan can be a little noisy, so best to run the unit in a room where you don't sleep. They usually have controls that allow you to set the ambient moisture level in the air - so the unit switches on and off as the moisture level changes. I had one for years in a flat, now use it to help with drying laundry in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Thanks guys!

I had a scroll through the commonly asked questions and didn't see this issue there, should have done a search though so apologies.

It's less than two years old, and rented. I won't be making any structural changes as we'll only be there for another year so maybe a dehumidifier is the best bet. We have puddles on the window sill :rolleyes: Might ask landlord if he'll contribute to cost of dehumidifier.

Thanks again!

Advertisement