Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom ordering a list of items from a database

Options
  • 03-12-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a c# web-app that retrieves a list of items based on a category (numeric value in the table). These are currently ordered alphabetically by their title, as that's really the only meaningful mandatory field. The site owner would like to be able to sort these manually.

I would say there would no more than 30 or so units in one category, but would like to make it reasonably scalable.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this that is usable - and so far the only thing I can think of is a dedicated page for ordering them, with JavaScript that will move them up and down and do an update to each row, specifying the position in a new field. Or I could do it in AJAX, but if you want to bump a new property all the way to the top, it could be a lot of requests, so that doesn't make sense to me at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative? I am wondering if any of the inbuilt data controls might be something I can use, but I'm not really that familiar with many of them.

thanks,

Eoin

Advertisement