Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses-Excellent deals....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

ntlbell wrote: »
    952.74 based on tsb's calculator over 25 years

and for 200k? if it's on 20 years?
    wanted to make myself an idea, didn't ask the bank yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DD wrote: »
    and for 200k? if it's on 20 years?
    wanted to make myself an idea, didn't ask the bank yet

1358 tsb

check the online calculators of various banks to get a better deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

AARRRGH wrote: »
    She asked for our opinion and we gave our opinion. I am far from being a begrudger - I wish we were all successful in life.

I just think it makes no sense to spend a large percentage of your life commuting. We only have one life.

Good for the OP if she believes she's got a good deal and she's happy with the house, the location and the size of the mortgage repayments. Same goes for anyone else who buys.

What I objected to was the last paragraph where she told us that if we think we'll get anything cheaper if we sit and wait, that we're wrong. Nobody knows when the bottom of the market will be reached. Not even the OP...

Firetrap wrote: »
    Good for the OP if she believes she's got a good deal and she's happy with the house, the location and the size of the mortgage repayments. Same goes for anyone else who buys.

What I objected to was the last paragraph where she told us that if we think we'll get anything cheaper if we sit and wait, that we're wrong. Nobody knows when the bottom of the market will be reached. Not even the OP...

If she truly believed she got a bargain and was happy with it why would she come on looking for opinions?

it sounded like she came on hoping people would pat her on the back and tell her what a good bit of canny mc savvy business she was after doing, when the reality is a lot more bleak than she first thought

my guess is she never even stress tested petrol prices for her journey etc in the descion making

if she had, she would of prob bought a house in dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Congrats to the OP - like others however I would'nt touch it with a barge pole.

House prices are dictated by demand which is dictated by the employment and the amount of money floating about.

In my (bitter) experience, employment has a long way to go before job cuts have bottomed out. I work (though likely not for much longer) in a fairly large Irish owned civil engineering consultancy. We all know that the builders and associated trades have been decimated - that is ongoing and will get worse. The majority are finishing out the tail end of large projects started at the end of the Boom. There is nothing for these trades to move onto.

Consultancies/Designers follow the contractors - architects have been decimated (again, ongoing), engineers have started but it is only a start - my own job isn't guaranteed far past Christmas. We've been told off the record that the company needs to reduce costs by 25-30% if they are to compete in UK and European markets. There is an acceptance that there is no longer an Irish market to pursue. Those cuts will be through redundancies.

Where the construction sector leads, everything else follows. That is almost universally recognised. There will be a torrent of construction related redundancies in the new year. Anecdotally speaking, a fair proportion of those looking down the barrel of the redundancy gun are looking to leave the country - these aren't immigrants who came to Ireland for the boom, these are professionally qualified Irish born and bred. A good few are looking to jump before they're pushed so they can actually get a job when they land in Canada, US, Oz, NZ etc, before a flood of applications come behind them.

So reduced demand due to rapidly rising unemployment, and (anecdotally) reduced demand due to (formerly relatively well paid) professionals & tradesmen leaving the country.

In addition many of the professionals, who were formerly well paid, were the ones who propped up the Boom in its final years with the buy to let "industry". My own landlord being one of them, who is now putting E850/month to his mortgage on top of my rent - and he is also looking at redundancy from the building industry in the new year. He is indicative of the bigger picture imo. If buy-to-let collapses (which it is likely to do, given the huge oversupply in rental property and number of landlords teetering on the bring of defaulting on their mortage) then there will be even more properties for sale on the market.

Reduced demand + even greater over supply = further reductions in house prices.

Even if I'm being overly grim and bitter this Monday morning I fail to see how anyone can see prices improving at any time in the short to medium term future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TillyT

Thanks to all those well wishers :)
    Firetrap wrote: »

that was not what I meant by the last paragraph and yes after reading over it it sounds a bit funny but I just wanted people to share similar stories (no pat on the back or anything!) but sure everyone has their own opinions!

I did look into this purchase very well before I put any money down, I work Flexi time and some days from home and have a petrol card and I work in a very secure job....maybe that answers some of your questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

TillyT wrote: »
    Ive been looking to buy since before the recession and was lucky enough to come across a gem ....
    Just purchased a 3 bed semi in Fair green park Mullagh Co.Cavan - on the Meath border!
    €180,000 and I even got the following included.....
    Tiling
    Timber flooring in the sitting Room
    Integrated appliances (Fridge Freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, Dryer, oven and hob)
    Shower door and bath screen in chrome
    Toilet accessories
    1 fill of Kerosene heating oil
    side gate
    Oil condenser boiler

Now to the people here that are saying hold on wait they'll come down more and more....... I think your waiting for something thats not going to happen and I dont think you can get a better bargin than that......

:rolleyes:

Its a bargain compared to what it would have been a few years back yes, but we'll wait and see. If prices do start going back up(which i doubt will happen for a while) they're not gonna suddenly shoot back up to 300K over night

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

If she truly believed she got a bargain and was happy with it why would she come on looking for opinions?

it sounded like she came on hoping people would pat her on the back and tell her what a good bit of canny mc savvy business she was after doing, when the reality is a lot more bleak than she first thought

No it looks like she is trying to sell these houses, esp when you take into account her first post contained a link if i remember correctly.
    Anyway I think buying a house in Cavan and working in Dublin nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

chahop wrote: »
    No it looks like she is trying to sell these houses, esp when you take into account her first post contained a link if i remember correctly.

Yes, definite sales pitch.

"Toilet Accessories" should have been the giveaway :p

€180,000 for a house in Cavan? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This thread reminds me of the taxi driver I had the pleasure of speaking to the other day. He was the typical Dublin tough guy talking nonsense about himself, and then he tells me of the bargain he has gotten in Westmeath. He moved there six months ago. He was saying "guess how much I paid, guess how much" with a really smug tone. I wanted to say 100k but bit my tongue. It turns out he paid 220k for his bargain. The moron ignored the fact that he has to commute from Westmeath every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

AARRRGH wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the taxi driver I had the pleasure of speaking to the other day. He was the typical Dublin tough guy talking nonsense about himself, and then he tells me of the bargain he has gotten in Westmeath. He moved there six months ago. He was saying "guess how much I paid, guess how much" with a really smug tone. I wanted to say 100k but bit my tongue. It turns out he paid 220k for his bargain. The moron ignored the fact that he has to commute from Westmeath every day.

Ill-informed and/or hasty purchase may be a better choice of words.. :)

chahop wrote: »

Anyway I think buying a house in Cavan and working in Dublin nuts

Well I'm trying to give her the benifit of the doubt, of course it looks like a sale pitch but they're a lot of people in her situation that bought down in the arsehole of no where for much less of a "bargain" and preach on about how canny they've been I hear it all day in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TillyT

LOL...excuse me for creating a post and copying and pasting the extras into it... which was then rectified.....maybe its just the green eyed monster which makes for such bitter posting!

The reason for my post is that I thought it would be a interesting worth while thread.....which I still believe it is........ and one where people have a general interest and are not out to criticise you and be little your choice but dont get me wrong from reading the posts there are plenty that understands the thread and where I was coming from but sure there'll always 1 or 2......

LOL...excuse me for creating a post and copying and pasting the extras into it... which was then rectified.....maybe its just the green eyed monster which makes for such bitter posting!

The reason for my post is that I thought it would be a interesting worth while thread.....which I still believe it is........ and one where people have a general interest and are not out to criticise you and be little your choice but dont get me wrong from reading the posts there are plenty that understands the thread and where I was coming from but sure there'll always 1 or 2......

You asked for people's opinion, we "critiqued" the purchase as you asked and now we're belittling you?

If you care to read over the thread the vast majority are very happy for you, but they're also aware that it's not much of a bargain when you take into spending roughly 2 months a year sitting in a car.

this is not something people are usually envy of...

now if you had of came on and told us how you got a great deal on a 5 bed in malahide for 180k you would have a point.

but buying a shack in the arsehole of cavan or wherever is _not_ a call for the green eyes...

trust me......

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

It wasn't just the deatails of the extras you had copied and pasted into the original post, there was a bit at the end saying something like "why not become my new neighbour" and then giving a link to the estate agent. It definitely looks like trying to advertise the estate

nice 3 bed in longford for 120k

the bargains are flying in ;)

via tpp

www.daft.ie/1420329

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ntlbell wrote: »
    nice 3 bed in longford for 120k

the bargains are flying in ;)

via tpp

www.daft.ie/1420329

and i reckon if you offered 99k, they'd take your freekin hand off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ive been looking to buy since before the recession and was lucky enough to come across a gem ....
    Just purchased a 3 bed semi in Fair green park Mullagh Co.Cavan - on the Meath border!
    €180,000 and I even got the following included.....
    Tiling
    Timber flooring in the sitting Room
    Integrated appliances (Fridge Freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, Dryer, oven and hob)
    Shower door and bath screen in chrome
    Toilet accessories
    1 fill of Kerosene heating oil
    side gate
    Oil condenser boiler

Now to the people here that are saying hold on wait they'll come down more and more....... I think your waiting for something thats not going to happen and I dont think you can get a better bargin than that......

It's a gem alright and so are you (at least that's what the seller probably said as they ran to the bank).
    Wow they even threw in a fill of oil, a side gate and a bog roll holder :rolleyes:
    Of course the little things they threw in made up for the fact that your house may be worth 15% less within a year or two.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you come on here and expect people to pat you on the back for buying something (in small village that will involve a long commute to work) that will probably have dropped in vlaue by another 15% within a year, then I think you either don't mind the p*** being taken out of you or else you wouldn't mind us all lying to you and telling you you made a great choice.

... I will commute - ive talked to some of the neighbours in the estate and most of them seem to commute and have assured me its grand and with the new M3 and rail links being put in place - i think (and hoping) ive made the right choice! ...
    So do you think that by waiting til this time next year you'll be getting a better deal? Im of the idea that prices wont reduce by too much more?

What rail links, are we talkign about raillink to Navan here ?
    Don't you reliase the government will probably have to shelf half their infrastructure plans becuase we haven't got a pot to p*** in ?

Can you please tell us why you have an idea prices won't reduce much ?
    Don't you consider increasing unemployment, stagnant or decreasing wages, massive oversupply of housing stock, decreasing numbers of immigrants, tightening of mortgages and credit to have any affect on house prices ?
    meesa wrote: »
    Ok ....we are on a train track...the train is comin` ...you can see it in the distance....everyone is screamin` "get off the track"...

Meesa read above, there is probably f*** all chance of a train coming down any tracks near her home :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Can you please tell us why you have an idea prices won't reduce much ?
    Don't you consider increasing unemployment, stagnant or decreasing wages, massive oversupply of housing stock, decreasing numbers of immigrants, tightening of mortgages and credit to have any affect on house prices ?

because cavan/navan is different ;)

Advertisement