Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from N.Ireland

Options
  • 03-12-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Quick query ....

If I go up North to buy a car to bring back here, will the dealer up there take my car as a trade in, and if so do they offer a fair value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Quick query ....

If I go up North to buy a car to bring back here, will the dealer up there take my car as a trade in, and if so do they offer a fair value?

Unlikely, certainly on the second point.

I was down at Agnew's on Boucher Road last week; the salesman said over 70% of their business currently is people coming up from the South. I don't think they need to do anyone any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Can you elaborate ....

When you say 'fair' value; cars are cheaper up here. It follows that they'd offer you what it's worth up here...i.e. less than down home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A business colleague traded into Charles Hurst with no problem.

Well I've an 06 Golf GTi ...

Not looking for mad money for it, just whatever I'd get from a dealer down here.

As a matter of interest, any idea where to look for a nice used Audi S3 up there?

• Advertisement

Where are you travelling from?

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

They will offer the NI price for the trade-in and they will re-register the car as a NI car to sell to the N.Ireland market. Possibly last year they could have sold the car back to trade in the south. Don’t know what they think about the km clock though.

Yeah good point that, hadn't thought about that

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't re-register the car for UK sale with a KM-only clock so thats going to knock value straight away; it'd be better to try to sell the car down here private and go argue a harder straight deal with the nordie dealer I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MYOB wrote: »
    They can't re-register the car for UK sale with a KM-only clock

LOL I don't think so. Do you seriously think they have to change the speedo and odometer on every single Japanese or European import in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

LOL I don't think so. Do you seriously think they have to change the speedo and odometer on every single Japanese or European import in the UK?

I think they have to do that now to get its MOT, has to display MPH and you have to MOT all imports regardless of age in england dont you?

They do! You can get card inserts for most brands of car, though. You will fail the MOT with a KM-only speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is this a recent addition to the MOT? When I lived in England (up until '98) it didn't seem to be the case...

Is this a recent addition to the MOT? When I lived in England (up until '98) it didn't seem to be the case...

Dunno. I just know someone first hand who got ridden by Fiat UK for MPH clocks for a Panda Sporting (probably the only one ever sold in Ireland and he exports it!) when he moved back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Ya but surely its just a matter of changing the dash for god sake? You could buy it in yourself before you bring it up. You're changing anything, just putting a dash with mph scale on it. Surely that's the easier solution?

Yeah, its not overly difficult and for common imports you can even buy 'calibrated' cardboard to slot behind the needle. But I can easily see a garage arguing value off you for it.

Advertisement