Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental Visit and Wisdom Teeth removal

• 03-12-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭

Well after fearing the dentist for years, I decided to go along and get my teeth checked out. It had been roughly 12 years or so since my last checkup! :o I have over crowding across my top teeth and have wha can only be called "fangs". Ive wanted to get this fixed for a long time, as its knocking my own confidence. So I went to the dentist in Stillorgan, Dublin, fairly nervous to say the least! She was very pleasant and had a look at my teeth. She said that they were in very good condition (still no fillings to this date! :D) and she gave them a clean. She noted that I should get my wisdom teeth removed, as they may cause issues later on in life (Im 27 next week).
    She advised she can remove the top two herself, but I will need to refer to an orthodontist to get the remaining two removed at the bottom. They seem to be impacted, but have grown upright, so just a lair of gum over them. Ive read a few stories online and have been worried. Saying that, I was terrified of the dentist, and (despite the obvious uncomfortableness of the cleaning) I found the overall experience very good. I now have no fears about "dental visits". However, my own concern lies with removal of my wisdom teeth. Is this a difficult procedure? I know the top ones are straight forward (as they are already down). I suppose its just the bottom ones that Im concerned with. Anyone have any adivce?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

antodeco wrote: »
    Well after fearing the dentist for years, I decided to go along and get my teeth checked out. It had been roughly 12 years or so since my last checkup! :o I have over crowding across my top teeth and have wha can only be called "fangs". Ive wanted to get this fixed for a long time, as its knocking my own confidence. So I went to the dentist in Stillorgan, Dublin, fairly nervous to say the least! She was very pleasant and had a look at my teeth. She said that they were in very good condition (still no fillings to this date! :D) and she gave them a clean. She noted that I should get my wisdom teeth removed, as they may cause issues later on in life (Im 27 next week).
    She advised she can remove the top two herself, but I will need to refer to an orthodontist to get the remaining two removed at the bottom. They seem to be impacted, but have grown upright, so just a lair of gum over them. Ive read a few stories online and have been worried. Saying that, I was terrified of the dentist, and (despite the obvious uncomfortableness of the cleaning) I found the overall experience very good. I now have no fears about "dental visits". However, my own concern lies with removal of my wisdom teeth. Is this a difficult procedure? I know the top ones are straight forward (as they are already down). I suppose its just the bottom ones that Im concerned with. Anyone have any adivce?

Many thanks

Did your dentist take x-rays of your teeth?

Just get yourself a good surgeon to get the teeth out and don't bother with the internet stories. Can be difficult depending on different factors - position of the nerve beneath the tooth is one of main factors. Your surgeon will give all the details and should put you at ease. Did you get a referral to one yet?

Advertisement