Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Requirements new licence

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

What would the usual security requirements for a first time rifle licence?
    I searched few old threads but Im still bit confused:o
    Is a monitored alarm system only needed for handguns or centrefires/rimfires?
    Do gunsafes need to meet certain standards or would a homemade he one be ok?;)

Im leaning towards buying a .303 Enfield preferably.
    Have folk here gotten centefire licences first time round?
    I live in an apartment blockwould this count against my application?

Thanks in advance,

David:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

opeldave wrote: »
    What would the usual security requirements for a first time rifle licence?
    You really should go to your local Garda station and ask them, as the security issues and, therefore, requirements, are very different from place to place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

Jacobo wrote: »
    You really should go to your local Garda station and ask them, as the security issues and, therefore, requirements, are very different from place to place.

Cheers Jacobo I have been meaning to dop in someday soon:D
    But what are the most common requirements for the different type of firearm?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cheers Jacobo I have been meaning to dop in someday soon:D
    But what are the most common requirements for the different type of firearm?
    :confused:

Damn I cant find it now but there are some recommended guidelines from the FCP (sure someone will post them)

Your Super may not follow them of course but that's firearms licensing in the ROI for you but it'll give you an idea

Also as Jacobo says if your area is especially bad for crime then he will add on more requirements

Vegeta wrote: »
    Damn I cant find it now but there are some recommended guidelines from the FCP (sure someone will post them)

Your Super may not follow them of course but that's firearms licensing in the ROI for you but it'll give you an idea

Also as Jacobo says if your area is especially bad for crime then he will add on more requirements

Thanks Vegeta,
    I hope someone has the info live in a quiet sleepy little town thank god:D

Id definitly be getting a proper safe Im not the kind of peron to sleep with a gun under their pillow:D:D
    But a high tech alarm migt make it way too exensive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They're here.
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).
    Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

Cheers Sparks thats exactly what I needed.:cool:
    I wont be half as nervous when I meet the Super in due course:p

Woud the fact that I live in an Apartment block be a problem in itself?
    Have any of ye gotten licences while living in apts?:confused:

David;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just my option but I would have got a gun safe with the digital lock on it (had I known then what I know now).
    That way the keys are not left in the house if you get a break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cheers Sparks thats exactly what I needed.:cool:
    I wont be half as nervous when I meet the Super in due course:p

Woud the fact that I live in an Apartment block be a problem in itself?
    Have any of ye gotten licences while living in apts?:confused:

David;)

Do you own the apartment or are you renting. May be a problem if you are renting...........maybe.

Will landlord let you bolt a big safe or two to the wall or floor?

Do you own the apartment or are you renting. May be a problem if you are renting...........maybe.

Will landlord let you bolt a big safe or two to the wall or floor?

im renting actually from the brother in law.
    I dont think he would mind me bolting a rifle safe at all as they are easy to remove with limited damage to the brickwork lol if I move somewhere else in a year or 3;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

im renting actually from the brother in law.
    I dont think he would mind me bolting a rifle safe at all as they are easy to remove with limited damage to the brickwork lol if I move somewhere else in a year or 3;)

The safe must be fixed to a concrete wall and floor. It's also good practice to have it concealed and I believe that CPO's are looking for this now.

For fullbore, you will obviously need an alarm.

Security requirements are not the only ones you need for a licence. Make sure you have all the other boxes ticked: good reason being one of the most important.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    The safe must be fixed to a concrete wall and floor. It's also good practice to have it concealed and I believe that CPO's are looking for this now.

For fullbore, you will obviously need an alarm.

Security requirements are not the only ones you need for a licence. Make sure you have all the other boxes ticked: good reason being one of the most important.

I was planning to conceal the safe anyway for a litte extra peace of mind so
    thats ok;)
    But I didnt know about it needing bolting to the wall and floor so cheers for that rrpc:D
    Im planning to join a range so hope that will suffice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My CPO insisted that the gun safe was not visible from a downstairs window or outside door, makes sense really. He also advised not to fit an alarm till the Superintendent agreed to issue the licence. I believe some people have fitted alarms and then been refused. Best of luck, it should go ok.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    My CPO insisted that the gun safe was not visible from a downstairs window or outside door, makes sense really. He also advised not to fit an alarm till the Superintendent agreed to issue the licence. I believe some people have fitted alarms and then been refused. Best of luck, it should go ok.

Thats somethng to consider alright
    cheers sfakiaman;)

Advertisement