Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression/Ed will dr. prescribe meds?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi there.. im thinking of approaching my doc about these two thngs.. because life is starting to get out of control. i have no life. i should but these issues are holding me back. i feel really down all the time and get panic and anxiety attacks. also social phobia..
    how do u bring it up to a doctor? what do u say? and will she prescribe anti-depressants ?? or does that have to be by a psychiatrist?
    any replies im grateful, feel free to move mods if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Regarding bringing it up with your doctor, just explaing all of your symptoms and how you are feeling.

A bit of a physical check up might not be a bad idea either.

The GP may give you something short term, but a phychiatrist/ psychologist or councellor would be the way to go after seeing your GP.

Make sure to discuss your options with both the GP and the psychiatrist.
    Sometimes they will suggest a course of anti-depressants, sometimes they will suggest councelling and sometimes they will suggest both.

Don't be afraid to talk to your GP. He's there to help you.

Start off by telling him that you have been feeling depressed.
    S/he'll take it from there.

Another idea would be to use a journal to write down how you are feeling throught each day (don't feel guilty if you forget an entry. :) ).
    This may help the doctors to diagnose your condition.

The very first thing you need to do is to go and see a doctor right now.

Like any illness early treatment generally brings better results.

Edit: If you are worried about medication, discuss this with your doctor.

It the doctor does prescribe meds and they don't agree with you, go straight back to them and explain the side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Go see your Doctor. He or she will probably offer you meds straight off. If you feel you need them take the presciption and if you dont. Make sure thay the try and organise a appointment with a counciler/psycoloist/ psycharist or some form of CBT. A lot of GPs seem happy just to leave you on anti -depressenst indefinatly

Advertisement