Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoppers urged to "resist bargains"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

FIANNA FAIL ,DRIVING THE ECONOMY NORTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just after reading the front page and page 11 of the Dundalk Leader with regards to the recent increase of people from Dundalk, Co.Louth going up North for their shopping, and I have to say it comes across as a very threatening article towards the people of the town.

Here are a few parts from the article:
    Hundreds of people in Dundalk stand to lose their jobs this Christmas if people from the town continue to travel north for their christmas shopping. It has to stop and stop now!
    If you shop over the borded this Christmas you are depriving your town of vital money, the traders here of job creating trade, our council of vital taxes and ultimately you are killing your own town and the jobs of those in it.....

If you the people who live in this community support your town you will save the town and it's jobs. Residents in the Dundalk area are blessed to have no local taxes to pay whtsoever, all local services are provider free of charge by Dundalk Town Council......

If the northern shopping frenzycontinues, local traders will no longer be able to properly pay these taxes and the council will have to consider reintroducing local residential taxes on each home such as water charges to balance their budget.
    There's an excuses for the council to charge local taxes :rolleyes:

It then goes onto say:
    Human beings will always say, "look for the bargins", but would you take a bargin even if that meant that one of your friends or family would lose their jobs over it?

If you know people who are travelling to the north for their shopping, it is up to you to say, "People here are losing their jobs and you are contributing to it."
    If any member of your family takes the option and travels to Newry or elsewhere in the north then they have no right to complain about affairs here, because they are the ones who gave their money across the border.
    The economic downfall is our fault and we are the ones now that will have to stop shopping around for bargins, just as Mary Harney told us to do, we now have to shop here in the town/south be robbed blind and live on "bread, jam and beans" all to save jobs and business, what a load of ***** !
    We're in a recession and coming up to Christmas if the business's of Dundalk/Ireland haven't noticed, drop prices, lower the cost of living, help the many people that are struggeling to make ends meet, don't expect us to help when we are suffering too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Sure presumably it'd suit the government down to the ground if we were 'kicked out of the EU' as some government figures suggest will happen.... no free market any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This is one of the very few times i actually agree with the government on something. People who go up North to buy their goods are giving their money to Britain and therefore they aren't supporting the Irish Economy. We need to help the economy however we can if we are to get out of this recession, and going North is only going to make it worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Riddle101 wrote: »
    We need to help the economy however we can if we are to get out of this recession, and going North is only going to make it worse

Aer Lingus wanted to go North, and their shareholders (Fianna Fail) didn't stop them, deciding that the benefit to our economy didn't matter.

So forgive us if we're now following their example.

The price difference is caused by a lot of things, including taxes, overheads and government inaction, so if there's a slight difference I'll support our own.

But given the huge price drops it's pretty obvious that there was profiteering going on. Just look at the "dual-priced" shops and you'll see it straight away.

HOWEVER, anyone who DOES go North should still boycott the UK-owned stores that have Irish outlets that have been significantly overcharging.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Riddle101 wrote: »
    This is one of the very few times i actually agree with the government on something. People who go up North to buy their goods are giving their money to Britain and therefore they aren't supporting the Irish Economy. We need to help the economy however we can if we are to get out of this recession, and going North is only going to make it worse

And that includes paying ridiculous amounts to fund the 100% markup that many clothing and electrical retailers are taking? Any economics textbook would say that sort of thing is unwise. What did we sign up to the EU for if we can't take advantage of the free market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

As far as I can see the retail sector is bloated.

Their prices are hillarious - if I can obtain the same and often better goods for a whole lot less in Northern Ireland I will. Why should I 'Buy Irish' to use that tired old phrase when it's essentially cutting my own throat to do so? I don't see Briano and the denizens in govt or civil service cutting back in any way. This humble citizen of Ireland is not responsible for the bloody mess caused by corporate greed etc and I'll be damned if I'm expected to pay for the clean up.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

I have been up twice in the last 2 weeks and definitely made savings. If you are going to go, go past Newry and if you are making a day of it head on to Belfast.

Admittedly i originally come from Antrim Town and have other reason to travel, but now when i visit i do the grocery shop in ASDA.

Look regards people travelling North, South or whereever, peoples financial circumstances dictate where they shop and what they buy. It does not make sense to pay more unless you can afford to or have no choice.

Brian Cowen himself should be made sit at the End of the N1 at Newry with a little clicker measuring the amount of traffic heading north and once he gets a final figure he could probably multiply it by minimum 150 Euros per car spent up North. Maybe then he'll realise how much revenue is lost

Lower the Vat rate, then there will be noticibly competitive prices and less people migrating North.

Advertisement