Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats!!!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Anyone got a good deterrent to stop the Charlesland Cat possie from poo-ing on my few plants and flowers! I know about leaving the bottle of water there. I heard before Tea Tree oil? cheers :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

Hi. I live in the Grove, and do not own a cat - not a big fan. There are loads around, which I don't mind because they keep other nasties away, but does anyone know how to make them stop using my garden as a giant cat litter? I have a few flowers planted in the front which regularly get dug up and replaced with poo. I have a planter the length of my back garden which is also full of poo. They have now started just doing it in the middle of the grass!! I caught one doing it today, and when I tried to chase it away, it started heaving and then it vomitted. Then it came back and started doing this on my patio (quite freaky). Finally managed to chase it out of the garden. Also, I can't open my windows because they just walk straight in. Was watching TV one day and a big black cat walked down the stairs - gave me a huge fright! I let it out the back door and ran upstairs to close the window and there was a different cat trying to come in.

I know you can buy anti cat pellets in Woodies, but they are not cheap and need to be replaced often. Does anybody know how to keep them away?

Its like they know I don't like them and are just attracted to me because of that. They sit on my sitting room window ledge and between my front door and next door, there is a gap at the top of the wall and they sit there - went out one day and there was 3 cats up there, one on my car and another on the door mat. My sister wont visit anymore because she is scared of them!! I can't let my niece out in the garden for fear she will pick up the poo and eat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Threads merged. Funny getting two threads like this in such a short time.

No problem with the amount of cats in the place, but I do hope they're all neutered!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

If I see them in the back garden I generally just throw a saucepan of water on them which seems to do the trick, we have a Sandpit and kids toys in the garden and do not want them doing there wee-wees around the play area.

Have seen them perched on my new car in the front drive-way also, they have left little scratch marks on the roof as well so might need to Invest in a Cat Gun.
    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/14026/15050/maplin-mega-sonic-scatter-cat.phtml

(Only kidding about the gun) NOT !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Throw a pint of water at them, they hate water. I've no time for cats. They think twice about visiting your garden after getting wet. There are quite a few around the grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

ive the same problem with leaving my upstairs windows open too, that black cat has made its way into my house on more than one occasion.

and bring on the advice as theres a white cat in particular thats made my back garden its regular pooing/peeing area. its also quite tame/fearless and so even when you holler out the window it just jumps on the fence and looks at you and then jumps straight back down again again when i close the window/door.

anyone for a quick game of Hypotheticals (of Extras fame!)
    Which would you prefer, to get rid of the Free-Roaming, Pooing & Peeing Cat Posse or to get rid of the self-contained but infinitely more irritating backyard Dog YipYapping Posse???????:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

eleMental wrote: »

anyone for a quick game of Hypotheticals (of Extras fame!)
    Which would you prefer, to get rid of the Free-Roaming, Pooing & Peeing Cat Posse or to get rid of the self-contained but infinitely more irritating backyard Dog YipYapping Posse???????:cool:

I'd go for getting rid of the dogs, cats dont make that much noise... although a shot gun would make a great differance:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Coolhand

By the amount of mice my cat brings home and others that ive been told about it we had no cats we would be wading through mice. So next time you see a cat give it a nice bowl of milk and thank it fors its free service!! Really though we are a lot better off with all the cats then constant dog barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

do you think all the field mice should have moved on when we moved in? I won't thank any cats for crapping in my garden if you don't mind.a water pistol is perfect for running them.

I just think we are better off with cats then mice\rats so no need to be upset about it. I was just highlighting that cats do serve a purpose to the estate. As was said before on this forum and its very true if you get a cat they never toilet in your garden and either will any other cat. Anyhow my cats a killer so water him at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'm just curious since I've never owned a cat, although we had them when I was a kid. Are these cats that crap everywhere not trained to use a litter box? Or do they do it everywhere, even if they are trained?

• Advertisement

They would only use a litter tray if they are indoors. When they are out they use somewhere they can dig like a flowerbed or something like that. They nearly always bury it so usually you would never see it. They are very clean creatures by nature. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Coolhand wrote: »
    As was said before on this forum and its very true if you get a cat they never toilet in your garden ....
    :D:D:D:D:D try telling our two that!

Alun wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D try telling our two that!

My two use the same spot all the time in our garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Chicken wire buried a quarter of an inch deep in the flowerbeds ftw.

Also, sneak in to the cat owner's garden and plant catmint there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

luckat wrote: »
    Also, sneak in to the cat owner's garden and plant catmint there.

Is it advisable to sneak into someone's garden to prevent a cat sneaking into yours? Risk taking of a high degree.

ian_m wrote: »
    Is it advisable to sneak into someone's garden to prevent a cat sneaking into yours? Risk taking of a high degree.
    Yes, the Nally case springs to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

eleMental wrote: »

As a woman who can't enjoy gardening for fear of toxoplasmosis from all the cat cr*p in it, I'd go for dogs anyday. Have to say it drives me mad that I can't enjoy my OWN garden because of other people's pets :mad:
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Lumbarda wrote: »
    As a woman who can't enjoy gardening for fear of toxoplasmosis from all the cat cr*p in it

You can't catch it by touching it. Wash your hands before eating or wear a pair of gardening gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks for that, Commander, I do wear gloves and wash my hands with antibac soap afterwards (to be sure, to be sure :)) but still a bit paranoid about it :eek: probably silly, I know, but it does mean I can't really enjoy gardening. I have a friend who got it gardening (from neighbour's cats) and has had to put off trying for a family.

Advertisement