Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing my car for the first time

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Quick question here. Recently joined the motoring world and tax went out at the end of October. I know ignorance is not an excuse just genuinely never noticed until the other day.

The car is my first and is a 1997 Polo. I would like to get it taxed and was wondering can I post the following or do I (or someone else) have to physically go into the MTO?

RF100 Form
    Copy of NCT
    Copy of Insurance
    Copy of Registration Book

Upon checking here, they want my original Insurance Cert. I don't know how safe that would be to send in the post...

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Do you have your tax book yet, ie. is the car in your name?

And if someone wanted your insurance details they'd get it off the window of the car, so i wouldn't be worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anybody can go into the MTO for you as long as they have all the details and will pay for it in cash/credit/laser

You need all those things you listed. The car should have been registered in your name by the previous owner.

If you are unsure, call the MTO or the VRO in Shannon, Co Clare(DOE) and check if its you who is registered.

Alternatively just head into the tax office with the forms they need and pay for the new disc.

If you wish to do it by post and you are unsure about the safety of the post, especially being Christmas then pay for recorded delivery. It would be around €5

EDIT: BTW If you have lost your log book and want another one it is €20 from the DOE in Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks for the replies so far lads.

The car is registered in my name. I had heard that you need to phsyically go into the MTO to tax your car for the first time, whether it's new or old.

As I don't want to take time off work and don't really want to ask anyone, I'd prefer to just post it in - thats why I was wondering if that is possible?

Also the site says it can take anywhere up to three weeks to receive the tax disc. Would I still be fine driving around so long as its being proccessed?

I'd just like some clarification for peace of mind and I want to keep the practise up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd post it from a Post Office and get receipt of postage- costs no more than just posting it.
    keep the receipt for your car -

you should have got a letter to do it online - if you didn't then the revenue may have your address incorrect. ring them up and ask if the address is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Naos wrote: »

RF100 Form
    Copy of NCT
    Copy of Insurance

Upon checking here, they want my original Insurance Cert. I don't know how safe that would be to send in the post...

Thanks guys

You do NOT need
    Copy of NCT
    Copy of Insurance
    when taxing a car.

Fill in the updated RF100A form here
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/
    then post it and a cheque made payable to your Co Co. Maybe give them a ring to check what arrears you owe. They should post your disc in 2-3 days.

I've noticed that some Co Co's still have the old RF100A on their websites, but use the above one. The main difference is that it gives you space to write your insurance policy number, so you do not send your cert. Also, any metion of an NCT seems to have magically disappeared...:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Cool thanks Buffman.

The envelope is already sealed with that information though, sure no harm in sending it I'm sure :)

Advertisement