Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One month but how many cities?

• 03-12-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for general outlooks here as I piece together thoughts in my head.

Would people on here be more inclined to use one month to see two or three cities or one month to see about five?

Depends on the places and such I suppose...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can easily do 2 cities a week. It depends on the travel between them. If it's only 3 hours to your next city your not really loosing to much time getting between them.

If your in Europe and with the current downturn meaning there's plenty of accommodation, there's really no need to restrict yourself to a plan and book everything.

Lately I book my flight into one country and my flight back home from another and just see how it goes. If I like a place or run into cool people I stay where I am, if things aren't to good I move on. But then I don't really go to a place with a list of 'must see' things to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Good points...

I'm thinking of going along the East Coast of the US for a month in summer.

Boston - NYC - Washington, few more smaller cities in between (Raleigh in Noreth Carolina, Columbia in South Carolina etc.......all the way to Miami.

Oh your going to the US. It won't be as easy to get around their public transport isn't up to scratch so that'll slow you down. There is a lift sharing website https://www.liftshare.com I've heard it's pretty good, your sharing their car and just paying part of the fuel bill.

That's true though what I have worked out is spending 3 nights in Boston, 7 in New York, 3 in Washington, 2 in Richmond (virginia), 2 in Raleigh (north carolina), 2 in columbia (south carolina) and then 2 in orlando and 2 in miami.

I can get the train between all of those cities but I'm not sure should I exclude some places there and spend more time in New York or Boston or Washington. I'd love a month in New York but then maybe I could get sick of it...

A month in one place or in too many places?!

It depends on who's going to come with me too and what they'd be interested in doing but I'm just wondering what yours and other peoples feelings or experiences are on this.

A month is a long time when your essentially doing nothing. I was only in New York for 2 days and got to do allot in those two days. Like most cities everything worth seeing is in the center. I'd say you'll get a better idea once your over there.

• Advertisement

Same here, been to NYC but only for 2 days! I wanted longer as there was a lot I didn't see. I saw the very top of the Flatiron building but I didn't get to walk over to it at all.

I'm not sure I'd agree with everything worth seeing is in the centre but you've done your travelling so I won't wuestion too far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

We spent a month in the USA in September. We did 3 days in Boston, 4 in New York, 2 in Savannah, 1 in DC, 3 in New Orleans, 2 in Flagstaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon, 1 in LA, 3 in San Diego, 4 in Vegas and 1 in Seattle.

We had a 30 day rail pass, so mainly used trains although we did take a few flights as well. Personally I hated the east coast. It was my first time there and it was very different from what I expected. A month turned out to be a very long time and we were so sick of packing and repacking our bags and getting on and off trains by the end of it.

Its a tough one to call because although we actually had too much time in most of the places we went to, I think I'd prefer to do less places, but better ones, if I ever did it again.

I see what you mean Monkey though that sounds like a class trip. Did you ever feel as if you hadn't enough time in the good places?

I would have thought a day in Washington DC was a little short but then again I'm into history and stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

A day in DC was definitely too short cos we had to skip most of the museums. Basically a day for wandering and monuments and half a day per museum is sort of what you need.

Yeah the time was short, mainly because it can take a while to acclimatise to a new place and actually relax. We were running around like headless chickens in some cities, constantly aware of the time and stuff when it would have been nice to be more chilled. After three weeks we were so wrecked and completely sick of travelling, whereas with more time we would have felt more like we were on holidays.

Our main problem was not being drivers because we were very confined to the cities we visited and were limited in how far we could explore. As we quickly learned, most of the cool American stuff to experience is not on a train line or bus route!

Yeah me neither...I ride a motorbike but on a provisional so can't travel with it!

Anyway that sounds like good advice...take your time and don't rush things too much.

When I was in New York for three days it was all rush-rush to go see things so thanks for the advice on not doing that haha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement