Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical Fish Tank

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I have a tropical fish tank in a conservatory. I know it is not the ideal location, but I had not other place to put it. Any ideas on how to reduce the build up of algae.
    It looks great, but goes green very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Daylight is a big no-no for tanks as it is lethal for algae growth!
    Maybe covering the back and the sides of the tank and placing the front so that it does not get the direct sunlight might help?

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com
    connaught.fishkeeping.society[at]gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishWhite

light can have positive and negative affects on aquariums too much and you get algae too little and you get algae, you should light your tank for between 10-12 hours a day because yours is in a lit area you should probably cover it for 12 hours a day. I would recommend that you cover it during daylight and light it artificially at night. There are a couple of other things also 1 put some otolincus catfish in the tank they will eat algae or try a couple of live plants if you dont have any already but ideally it should be in a shaded area of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Conservatories are one of the worst places you could place an aquarium.

Algae will certainly be constantly out of control, not even a shoal of 50 oto's could control it.

The temperature fluctuations are also terrible in conservatories too.

It really needs to be moved i'm afraid.

If you need any help or advice go to our forum.

www.irishfishforum.com

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

hi,just got a new rio 180 a few weeks ago..have it all cycled now and have a few fish in it....here they are..

5 neon tetra,s
    5 other tetra ......not sure wat there called but there see true and there the same size..
    ................and i have one barb.i no they aint supposed to be ut in wit each other but he s quite....
    how many more fish can i put in....ty
    o and can ye recommend the best type off fish to keep my tank free off algae......preferably a small one ty...:D

Advertisement