Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replica Walther

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I know this is probably not the correct forum for this question, but you guys might be able to help...

...I'm going to a party on Friday 5 December as James Bond, and I'm looking for a good quality replica of a Walther PPK or P99, preferably with a silencer attachment and shoulder holster.

Does anyone know where I could buy this in or around Dublin by Friday? Something that I could *legally* carry around as part of a costume?

I'm willing to pay around 60 euro... I've already shelled out 500 quid for the tux, so this would go a long way to making the costume.

Any help appreciated... second hand would be perfect too.

If you think I'm wasting my time, let me know so I'll stop looking...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I'm almost sure I saw a p99 Airsoft in a gadget shop in Arklow shopping centre earlier this week, so if you need something legal by Friday, the Airsoft forum is the place to go I reckon..............

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You won't get a replica in time. You need garda permission for one, and even then, you could be arrested for carrying one round with you under the 1990 Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act if a Garda saw it and thought you looked dodgy.

You could walk into an airsoft shop or WH Smiths and get something I suppose, but if it's realistic enough to look like the real thing and you carry it down Grafton Street, you could still get hauled in under the 1990 Act if a Garda thought you were being a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

Carrying anything even remotely resembling a weapon in a public place could lead to serious consequences- for instance it doesn't have to be an operating firearm in order to be charged with a firearms offence, all that is required is that it could be seen by someone to be a "real gun" so having a replica pistol on your person would be quite a risk in any public place. If the party were in a private residence and everyone there knew you well ,it might not be as much of a risk but maybe still not a good idea.

As for where to get a replica you could try an airsoft pistol.

I fully understand the idea behind wanting this as an accessory for the outfit and understand how well it would work, but for me it would be definitely to be avoided- even with an airsoft gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

you can get airsoft versions of the Walther PPK & P99, but to be perfectly honest:

a) bringing airsoft kit to a party is asking for trouble since someone is going to run around like a muppet with it; most likely in view of the public. Which brings me to point b.

b) If you walk down the street with airsoft kit in plain view of the public, you deserve everything you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Lemming wrote: »
    If you walk down the street with airsoft kit in plain view of the public, you deserve everything you're going to get.

Bizarrely I saw just that on Halloween eve. Some donut walking across Grange Rd with a thigh holster rig with a Glock in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭funsize

Thanks for the advice.

It is a private party, but it's in a hotel and I suppose that means it's a public place. Given the points raised above, I'll drop the idea of bringing a replica.

Maybe some obviously fake toy gun would do the job... I'll have a look in the Euro shops and maybe save myself a few quid and a lot of hassle...

Cheers.

LOL at the thought of me walking down Grafton Street with a replica Walther and a Garda pulling me over!! How come that never happens to the real Bond?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

sorry to burst your bubble but even if its a toy from smiths, when some ignorant plonker perceives it to be a real firearm you are guilty of an offence and if they ring the gardai well then its sh!t creek and no paddle, id just drop the idea of any gun at all, you could run the risk just be wary i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭funsize

OK, I know when I'm beaten. No gun for me tonight.

Maybe I'll ditch the tux and go in Bond-style scuba gear.

Anyone know where I could get a replica harpoon gun by tonight? etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

funsize wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get a replica harpoon gun by tonight? etc etc...
    lol :D:D

Whoaa, the shooting community in Ireland are like, soooo anal when it comes to this sort of thing, you know, like, safety, common sense, and stuff........

ARE YOU LISTENING MINISTER?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the party, be careful of gorgeous double agents who want to shag you then kill you (or vice versa, depending on what type of party it is), and pass on the word about a responsible shooting community to Joe Public! Run with this message Funsize, run like the wind!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Advertisement