Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT dip lights

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

will my car fail NCT for having
    • no working dip [parking] lights ?
    • Airbag light flashing
    • one fog light gone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It will fail for anything related to safety. So the first two will be fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

it surely will

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ah now come on. of course it will. It is a car roadworthyness test afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Notch000 wrote: »
    • Airbag light flashing
    • one fog light gone
    I would certainly hope so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭blackbox

It would also assist you in passing the driving test (and with general safety to yourself and others) if you learnt the difference between dipped lights and parking lights.

/RANT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Airbag light flashing
    • one fog light gone

I feel the need to shout:

PARKING LIGHTS ARE NOT DIP LIGHTS

Edit:
    It seems I'm not alon in my frustration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

ok i ment

Parking lights ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Airbag light flashing
    • one fog light gone

fogs not a test requirement]
    parks are
    airbags aren't

so yes rfix yer parking lights (bulb or fuse might cost a €)

check yer tyres because they're probably worn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tigger wrote: »
    fogs not a test requirement]
    parks are
    airbags aren't

so yes rfix yer parking lights (bulb or fuse might cost a €)

check yer tyres because they're probably worn

Are you sure about the above. You are saying a airbag fault light will not fail the test?
    I heard before that although stuff like airbags are not a requirement to pass the test due to some cars not having them, if they are fitted they must not be showing any faults. Same for abs brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

mickdw wrote: »
    Are you sure about the above. You are saying a airbag fault light will not fail the test?
    I heard before that although stuff like airbags are not a requirement to pass the test due to some cars not having them, if they are fitted they must not be showing any faults. Same for abs brakes?

Yup, any extras fitted to the car must be working and if they aren't you can fail the nct requiring another visual inspection once the problem is rectified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

no working dip [parking] lights ?

Yes
    Airbag light flashing

No
    one fog light gone

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

And to be honest with ya, I think that if you have an ABS, Airbag or Engine Fault light on, you should fail, especially the first two... But at the moment, you don't...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I passed a few years ago with a airbag light showing a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stupid thread OP.

Would you fail for non working headlights?

That cannot be a serious question.

:mad:

Also, why are you waiting until the NCT to consider getting your headlights fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

• Airbag light flashing
    • one fog light gone

Hope so, yer chancer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I want to smack the IDIOTS who drive around in the hours of darkness with their parking lights on! Are you blind? Are you retarded? Do you not realise how DANGEROUS this is?

OP: you will most definitely fail the NCT, and probably there will be other faults found if you clearly have such little regard for the safety of your car and other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

eth0_ wrote: »
    I want to smack the IDIOTS who drive around in the hours of darkness with their parking lights on! Are you blind? Are you retarded? Do you not realise how DANGEROUS this is?

I smell a tangent going on. Soon to be hijacked into a fog light thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Darragh29 wrote: »
    And to be honest with ya, I think that if you have an ABS, Airbag or Engine Fault light on, you should fail, especially the first two... But at the moment, you don't...

ABS light is actually a fail Darragh, but I agree with you 100%, airbag light should be a fail as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cosmo K wrote: »
    ABS light is actually a fail Darragh, but I agree with you 100%, airbag light should be a fail as well.
    Indeed it is ... page 10 of the testers manual
    Anti-lock Brake System (4) Warning light not working or indicates a defect in the anti-lock system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Look all of your

I never use parking lights, they are useless, if i want to use my lights i use the dips, these work fine, day or night.

Airbag flashing light is a main dealer fix which could run into hundred of euro. Im not chancing peugeot ripping me off [again] for a problem they are probably uncapable of tracking anyways. This is a common fault on older cars. AFAIK this is a warning light and in any even the airbag will still go off in an accident, this is some sort of EU design requirement.

Fog light = I dont use these ever, they are for driving in fogs and illegal to have on 90% of the time like most irish people.
    This is a bumper off job too, which i dont have time or resource to do at this time of the year

worst case
    Fail parking = sort out
    Airbay light = remove bulb
    fog = disconnect other one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

eth0_ wrote: »
    OP: you will most definitely fail the NCT, and probably there will be other faults found if you clearly have such little regard for the safety of your car and other road users.

Woah can you actually see any kind of lights from up there on your high horse?! :D

Its not like the OP said his brakes only work on every third sunday!
    Airbag flashing light is a main dealer fix which could run into hundred of euro. Im not chancing peugeot ripping me off [again] for a problem they are probably uncapable of tracking anyways. This is a common fault on older cars. AFAIK this is a warning light and in any even the airbag will still go off in an accident, this is some sort of EU design requirement.

Parking lights: Should get em fixed to pass I'd say...

Airbag light: I would double check that the airbag will go off in an accident, but if your sure then just disconnect the bulb.

Fog lights: A hell of a lot of cars don't even have front fogs, disconnect the other and see if it passes. If you care about the outward appearance of your car in the fog then get it replaced. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The airbag light could be due to something as simple as a loose wire/connector for the seatbelt tensioners under one of the front seats. Try reseating the connectors.

Advertisement