Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad car wash

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi

Someone asked me this question and i dint know the correct answer, i had an idea but wanted to find out for certain.

They got their car washed in an automatic carwash at a petrol station, the car was worse after it was washed and the garage said they cant give refunds for carwashes. they offered another free car wash but he didnt want to use it for obvious reasons.

so can they refuse to refund on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Refund would only really default under "not fit for use" and I doubt that the car wash will remain doing such a bad job and then you'd enter into the three Rs (repaire, replace, refund) which they offered replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nody wrote: »
    Refund would only really default under "not fit for use" and I doubt that the car wash will remain doing such a bad job and then you'd enter into the three Rs (repaire, replace, refund) which they offered replacement.
    it is reasonable that they offered to redo the carwash so he should accept the free wash but if the next wash leaves the car dirty he should then insist on a refund and suggest that the garage have their carwash serviced or examined for faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

coco06 wrote: »
    They got their car washed in an automatic carwash at a petrol station, the car was worse after it was washed

I find it hard to believe that the car came out the wash worse, unless the wash was leaking oil, or something similar, in which it would be obviouse there was a problem with the wash.

If the car was not cleaned to your friends satisfaction, then it is a different story. They can offer to wash the car again, as has been said.

What you need to remember is that their idea of clean, and your friends idea of clean might be very different.

I wash my car every second week, or once a week, depending on how dirty it is. Some washes do a better job than others, but none of them leave the car spotless. For that, I wash my car at home - about twice a year, in the summer - I give it loads of TLC, with a polish, vacuum, etc. Takes me about two to three hours, and even then I could miss one or two spots.

An automatic car wash will only ever give your car a quick clean. If you want a real clean, either do it yourself, or get a valet which could cost you anything from € 50 to over € 100.
    A wash at the petrol station is only about € 6 to € 10 - if the car comes out cleaner than when it went in - job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

The car came out with streaky liquid running down the side, it was only a relatively new machine but the cashier said that hundreds of cars had been through it but when he came out to have a look at it he agreed that it was a lot dirtier and full of streaks.

I was just wondering if they didn’t have time to go through it again or do not live near it would they legally be entitled to a refund.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I would go back up and keep demanding a refund but explain that you were not happy with the way the car wash washed the car and that you dont have trust in the machine to put the car through again.

A car can easily come out of an automatic wash worse due to the fact that the wash uses recycled water and if the rinse is not working properly your car will be worse. A lot of people on this site claim that brush washes dont do a good job and are just for a quick wash but yet people keep going to them when will the world realise that these brush washes are the worst machines ever invented

If you live onnorthside of Dublin i strongly recomend the guys that do the hand car wash in Artane castle and clearwater shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i would have accecpted the re-wash but the cashier for good faith should have given the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I agree totally with you I dont see why they did not offer you a refund. Customer service has gone very poor in Ireland in recent years if the garage was any way descent you should have been given a refund and a complementary wash just to keep the customer happy. There is very little focus on customers anymore its all just about them making more money.

We need to stand up and stop accepting bad customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Slightly off topic but automatic car washes will dull and scratch your paintwork. Better off using the manual one at service stations as you can clean your vehicle to your satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Slightly off topic but automatic car washes will dull and scratch your paintwork. Better off using the manual one at service stations as you can clean your vehicle to your satisfaction

Agreed but they are very mucky, best to come prepared in old clothes and boots.
    The alternative is that some garages have youbng lads employed to wash the car for ya. Only problem with this is that I simply can't stand by and watch a kid clean my car without giving them a decent tip, but the wash costs 5-10 euros in the first place so it becomes bloody expensive (10-15 euros) or am I out of touch and a bit mean?

Advertisement