Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car coolant level dropping

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭

2008 passat 1.9tdi coolant requires topping up. This seems very odd to me. Ive not seem a new car needing coolant top up, certainly not between services like this one does for years.

Any comments?
    And I dont want to hear about the engine being old hat and underpowered, I know that. It not even my car.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A leak most likely. Take it back to VW?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya, I was just wondering if there is any history of it in these cars. It not a major amount but it needs topping up and its no where near first service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

What mileage?

Did it get its run in service, usually around the 1500km mark? Its usually a free check up where they check levels of things like this.
    It is unusual alright, I would take it to your dealer when you get a chance, get it topped up and monitor it for a while to see if it goes down again.

leon8v wrote: »
    What mileage?

Did it get its run in service, usually around the 1500km mark? Its usually a free check up where they check levels of things like this.
    It is unusual alright, I would take it to your dealer when you get a chance, get it topped up and monitor it for a while to see if it goes down again.

I havent heard of this service being done by the dealers for years so no. Certainly no mention of it in vw/Audi service schedule although its certainly a good thing to be doing. It has about 6k km on it. This is not my car but I changed the oil in my new Audi at 2k just cause its a good thing to be doing with a new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

take it to the nearest Toyota garage and get an Avensis:D
    mickdw wrote: »
    2008 passat 1.9tdi coolant requires topping up. This seems very odd to me. Ive not seem a new car needing coolant top up, certainly not between services like this one does for years.

Any comments?
    And I dont want to hear about the engine being old hat and underpowered, I know that. It not even my car.

• Advertisement

kyote00 wrote: »
    take it to the nearest Toyota garage and get an Avensis:D

Well this isnt my car but even if it was I would gladly top it up with coolant 5 times a day for life before I would consider buying one of those things.
    Anyway Im sure it wont need an engine swap like alot of the 'bullet proof' toyotas needed not too long ago.
    And a car having a bit of a thirst for coolant is better than one having a fondness for engine oil by the gallon. It also appears this coolant problem is a one off leak whereas the reliable toyotas had their oil & engine problem pretty much across the board.
    Now some of the toyota problems would be acceptable if the car was something special but for a manufacturer who try to trade on the fact that they never go wrong, well what more can I say...... oh ya Landcruisers have major major brake system problems even when new.

sweet jesus, that some complex you have about toyota...

What was the engine problem ?

Well this isnt my car but even if it was I would gladly top it up with coolant 5 times a day for life before I would consider buying one of those things.
    Anyway Im sure it wont need an engine swap like alot of the 'bullet proof' toyotas needed not too long ago.
    And a car having a bit of a thirst for coolant is better than one having a fondness for engine oil by the gallon. It also appears this coolant problem is a one off leak whereas the reliable toyotas had their oil & engine problem pretty much across the board.
    Now some of the toyota problems would be acceptable if the car was something special but for a manufacturer who try to trade on the fact that they never go wrong, well what more can I say...... oh ya Landcruisers have major major brake system problems even when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Are you making sure to check the level when the engine is cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

mickdw, dont worry about it. Keep topping up. I have the same problem. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    I really don't think its a leak, unless its escaping at pressure and then evapourating or being dispersed in this fashon.
    I was paranoid about it at first, but then I realised - it just takes a bit of coolant -
    My car is an 04 with the same engine as yours (PD 130) and after many conversations with my mechanic, it does not leak down into the undertray plastic cover under the car. Nor is there any gunk anywhere that would suggest a fluid leak with dirt and grime sticking to the wet or leaked fluid.
    That's all I can say about it really. How often do you heve to top up? I just check mine every month or so.

kyote00 wrote: »
    sweet jesus, that some complex you have about toyota...

What was the engine problem ?

There was a load of 1.6 petrol engines replaced (vvti versions) for a major fault, I would be lying if I said what the fault was, but it had something to do with the block, i think.
    Anyway, plenty of people who owned Toyota Avensis cars with that engine (old shape -pre 03) had the engine replaced by Toyota. Out of the 2 people that I know that had them 1 had his replaced. I have heard of plenty of people who had them replaced alright.

• Advertisement

cashmni1 wrote: »
    mickdw, dont worry about it. Keep topping up. I have the same problem. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    I really don't think its a leak, unless its escaping at pressure and then evapourating or being dispersed in this fashon.
    I was paranoid about it at first, but then I realised - it just takes a bit of coolant -
    My car is an 04 with the same engine as yours (PD 130) and after many conversations with my mechanic, it does not leak down into the undertray plastic cover under the car. Nor is there any gunk anywhere that would suggest a fluid leak with dirt and grime sticking to the wet or leaked fluid.
    That's all I can say about it really. How often do you heve to top up? I just check mine every month or so.

As I said, its not actually my car so I shall not be worrying anyway and Im sure my friend will take it to vw to be checked. Its a 104 bhp engine which is piss poor to be honest. I was just thinking that it could be a head gasket fault. I know the 115 bhp engine fitted in earlier vws had a bit of a head gasket problem leading to coolant dissappearing out of the reservoir. This was just causing the water to evaporate so no leaks obvious.
    It a very very very slow drop in level and only needs topping up now a 6k km or so. Any newish car Ive seen in the last 7 - 8 years though never ever needs touching in regard to coolant

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I havent heard of this service being done by the dealers for years so no. Certainly no mention of it in vw/Audi service schedule although its certainly a good thing to be doing. It has about 6k km on it. This is not my car but I changed the oil in my new Audi at 2k just cause its a good thing to be doing with a new engine.

Oh they are still done, maybe just not by Audi/VW. I have had it done on a few cars over the last few years.
    Anyway, I would just get it checked by the dealer to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That is worrying, it has to be going somewhere. Left to their own devices, leaks tend to get worse - not better.

Anan1 wrote: »
    That is worrying, it has to be going somewhere. Left to their own devices, leaks tend to get worse - not better.
    agreed, I'm just in denial really.
    Anyway, christmas is coming......

Oh F*ck!

ah yes. Now I know what is it....

it the failure/crack on the inlet manifold....you're right it was old shape....I know a 02 1.6 car that needed it done at 120k. It was about 175euro for part and same for labour at local Mr T.
    There was a load of 1.6 petrol engines replaced (vvti versions) for a major fault, I would be lying if I said what the fault was, but it had something to do with the block, i think.
    Anyway, plenty of people who owned Toyota Avensis cars with that engine (old shape -pre 03) had the engine replaced by Toyota. Out of the 2 people that I know that had them 1 had his replaced. I have heard of plenty of people who had them replaced alright.

Advertisement