Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VODAFONE 1gb promo/ joikuspot

• 03-12-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have been using Joikuspot as an internet access point for my laptop on my N95 8GB (company phone) while travelling and find it useful. I have a the 1gb vodafone data promo ( for €10 per month on my account).

A friend of mine asked me recently to look into getting a mobile broadband stick to use at home ( cant get any other broadband but has a full 3G signal in his house). As he also happens to want a new phone I have been toying with the idea of telling him to get a symbian phone ( for instance an E51) on billpay with vodafone and the (1gb promo) and run joikuspot on it to give him access to the internet. He will be a very light user and I believe that the data allowance rolls over each month.
    Total cost would be : €89 for the phone and €30 for monthly rental and 1gb promo which is the same rental as getting a broadband stick from vodafone ( albeit that the stick will give 5GB download per month.
    Any comments on this idea would be appriciated.
    note : I have not checked with vodafone to see if the 1gb promo is still on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

one comment would be that you don't actually need joikuspot. you can just plug the phone in and use the nokia pc suite. it's arguably easier though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

With the stick you don't have to fork out the €89 and you get 5GB, also the first 3 months are €15 each, so thats what I would go for personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    one comment would be that you don't actually need joikuspot. you can just plug the phone in and use the nokia pc suite. it's arguably easier though

Thanks for the reply - the main reason for using joikuspot is to take advantage of full signal ( which is better at window ) and to dispense with wires -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I've found joiku tends to hammer the battery on the phone. You'd nearly want to keep it plugged in for any serious session.
    If cost is an issue you could get a SIM free E51 on www.adverts.ie for about a ton, and if you had a 3 signal *ducks for cover* you can get 1GB a month for a tenner on PAYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

long_b wrote: »
    I've found joiku tends to hammer the battery on the phone. You'd nearly want to keep it plugged in for any serious session.
    Which is why i pointed out it's not necessary :)
    long_b wrote: »
    if you had a 3 signal *ducks for cover* you can get 1GB a month for a tenner on PAYG.
    boo they suck (he posts from his 3 phone with that package)

• Advertisement
Advertisement