Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I get rid of ask.com

Options
  • 03-12-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I recently installed something that rather sneakly installed ask.com as my main search engine. So i went into add and remove programs and removed it, reset the default search engine in both firefox and IE back to Google, but ever since everytime I enter an incorrect site address or half name into the adress bar in firefox it feckin brings me to ask.com !!!!

what am I missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Coud be your DNS? Check they're what your ISP gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I recently installed something that rather sneakly installed ask.com as my main search engine. So i went into add and remove programs and removed it, reset the default search engine in both firefox and IE back to Google, but ever since everytime I enter an incorrect site address or half name into the adress bar in firefox it feckin brings me to ask.com !!!!

what am I missing?

Lots of threads on this on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Sean_K wrote: »
    Coud be your DNS? Check they're what your ISP gave you.

Probably this, I use open dns and typing an unknown site directly into the address bar or clcking on a link to a site that no longer exists gives a opendns.com search enginer instead of a 404 page.

to test, change to opendns.com dns servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) for primary and secondary (remembering to save the present DNS ip addresses in case you want to go back) and type some non-existent address into the address bar and see what happens

The reason I use opendns is because I have on 2 occasions had NTL's own DNS servers stop working which is a complete pita, never had trouble with opendns in about 18 months. In my case to keep things simple I set the DNS on my router and then anything connecting automagically uses opendns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Seagullmusic

I finally managed to remove this by uninstalling and then reinstalling my usual browser (to which Ask.com had attached itself) - Google Chrome.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Old thread bumped so will lock it. For anybody interested in removing these toolbar junkware, ADWCleaner will do the job most of the time :)

Nick

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement