Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned the from the Wrestling forum for trolling

Options
  • 03-12-2008 6:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

This began in the Wrestling DVDs thread as a result of poster ShawnRaven’s comment of:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58123300&postcount=833

I disagreed with his assessment. We went back and forward a little bit and then ShawnRaven replied with this:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58124539&postcount=841

Noting/Fearing we were going off topic I decided to make a new thread and alerted him that Ill reply in that and at the same time I PM’d one of the PW mods asking for the posts relating to the Rock and Jeff Jarrett.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432821

In the first line I stated “Ive moved a discussion about the Rock & Jeff Jarrett from the Wrestling DVD thread to here.” I told ShawnRaven I would post in a new thread and replied to him there. I replied to the ShawnRaven’s post while waiting for the rest of the discussion to be moved. You can see how it progressed for yourselves. ShawnRaven then decided to halt the discussion and reframe it as soon as I made the thread. Some others took that bait but I did move on in my discussion and stated that I moved on in post form. Then this evening the moderator I PM’d to move the posts orestes banned me for 14 days with no warning. For "constantly and persistantly trying to badger a user into a discussion with you after the user made it clear he was not interested in having the discussion."

I started the thread with good intentions.

I wish for this ban to be lifted.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You were banned for trolling, plain and simple.

You started a new thread to discuss a topic and trying to badger another user into a conversation that he had said he wanted no part of. Even when you posted in thread to say you were dropping the matter with him you multi-quoted six posts by that same user from another thread and referred to them as points to debate. I see this as having a dig at another user in a round about way as he was refusing to interact with you directly.

This isn't the first time you have had a go at users who have refused to interact with you. Yesterday you were taking potshots at a user who did something similar after a user stopped replying to you by quoting their replys in thread to other posters and replying to them with sarky little digs.
    rovert wrote: »
    Very little of this been backed up despite prompting.
    They were like you dodging questions
    Id ask him but he does seem to respond to questions.

If people don't want to reply to you, they simply do not have to. You throwing a strop and taking digs isn't going to change their minds. I let it slide the first time in case it was it was a once off and I happen to know that user has put you on ignore so no agro could come of it, but doing it again today, and the manner in which it was done, got you banned.

The thread in question shouldn't have even been started in the first place. If you wished to discuss the Rock/Jeff Jarrett you should have started a thread with your opinions on the subject and if people wanted to reply they would have done so. Starting a new thread to have a go at someone else's opinions in another thread is quite simply not on. If you wanted to discuss the matter with just one user you should have pm'd them. If you wanted to discuss it with the forum you should have started a discussion thread suitable for the entire forum to post in.

On a more general note, if people on the forum are refusing to interact with you, have you given any though as to why that might be the case? Your general attitude and tone in the forum is condescending and often downright arrogant. I have asked you numerous times to be more civil in your posts and to treat other users with some respect. I'm beginning to suspect that you have either ignored these warnings or are just incapable of interacting with others in a respectful and constructive manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

orestes wrote: »
    You started a new thread to discuss a topic and trying to badger another user into a conversation that he had said he wanted no part of.

The discussion was still active when I started the thread. So how could I start a thread with those intentions? Why would I PM you about the thread if I had those intentions? I made the thread as a result of him and I having a conversation in another thread which was a part of expressed purpose for making a thread. If my intent was to badger I would have continued on in the Wrestling DVDs thread and let everything go off topic.
    Even when you posted in thread to say you were dropping the matter with him you multi-quoted six posts by that same user from another thread and referred to them as points to debate. I see this as having a dig at another user in a round about way as he was refusing to interact with you directly.

Well it wasn’t a dig I was defending the basis of the discussion and the topic:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58126270&postcount=13
    This isn't the first time you have had a go at users who have refused to interact with you.

ShawnRaven wasn’t refusing to interact with me when I made the thread to the point I was confused when he no longer wanted to:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58124891&postcount=3
    Yesterday you were taking potshots at a user who did something similar after a user stopped replying to you by quoting their replys in thread to other posters and replying to them with sarky little digs.

Link please?
    If people don't want to reply to you, they simply do not have to. You throwing a strop and taking digs isn't going to change their minds.

When did I throw a strop exactly or take digs for that matter?
    I let it slide the first time in case it was it was a once off and I happen to know that user has put you on ignore so no agro could come of it, but doing it again today, and the manner in which it was done, got you banned.

I’m not aware of the incident you are referring to. Could you have not given me a warning then? A 14 day ban with no warning is rather harsh, no?
    The thread in question shouldn't have even been started in the first place. If you wished to discuss the Rock/Jeff Jarrett you should have started a thread with your opinions on the subject and if people wanted to reply they would have done so. Starting a new thread to have a go at someone else's opinions in another thread is quite simply not on.

If you wanted to discuss the matter with just one user you should have pm'd them. If you wanted to discuss it with the forum you should have started a discussion thread suitable for the entire forum to post in.

My own opinions were contained the OP as well as ShawnRavens. I did PM you this morning alerting you that I had started a thread and PM’d you concurrently so that some posts could be moved over into it. I referred to where the exchange came from in the first line of the OP in lieu of you moving the posts over since I could move posts over myself. His points were audacious and worthy of discussion whether he actually meant them or not. In my opinion he really didn’t and was ashamed of them hence why he didn’t want to discuss it further as this has happened before recently in fact.
    On a more general note, if people on the forum are refusing to interact with you, have you given any though as to why that might be the case? Your general attitude and tone in the forum is condescending and often downright arrogant. I have asked you numerous times to be more civil in your posts and to treat other users with some respect. I'm beginning to suspect that you have either ignored these warnings or are just incapable of interacting with others in a respectful and constructive manner.

I feel your categorisation of me is unfair in general. It is difficult for me to fight my corner as it comes off as egoistical but I will say I do try to be helpful to other posters and even more so since the change of mods. If people pose direct questions to anyone they are usually to me.

You got your warning for everything in this post which I posted to warn the entire forum that muppetry would not be tolerated here , after you had derailed a thread by posting unconstructive posts incidentally, despite having been warned in another thread not to do so two days before hand in another thread here, a warning which you argued with in thread by the way.

Are you seeing a pattern develop? Because I certainly am. You have had sufficient warnings regarding your general behavior since you returned from your ban. This was the last in a chain of events, the final straw as it were. The warnings have not been heeded, so you have been banned again.

I have made it perfectly and repeatedly clear in the pro wrestling forum since the day I was made moderator that disruptive posting and general muppetry would not be tolerated. I find it difficult to think of any way in which I could make it any clearer.

You said you think my categorisation of you is unfair. my categorisation of you is based solely on my interaction with you as a user and as a mod. These things work both ways.

You got your warning for everything in this post which I posted to warn the entire forum that muppetry would not be tolerated here , after you had derailed a thread by posting unconstructive posts incidentally, despite having been warned in another thread not to do so two days before hand in another thread here, a warning which you argued with in thread by the way.

Are you seeing a pattern develop? Because I certainly am. You have had sufficient warnings regarding your general behavior since you returned from your ban. This was the last in a chain of events, the final straw as it were. The warnings have not been heeded, so you have been banned again.

I have made it perfectly and repeatedly clear in the pro wrestling forum since the day I was made moderator that disruptive posting and general muppetry would not be tolerated. I find it difficult to think of any way in which I could make it any clearer.

Neither of those were trolling in fairness and I dont want to derail this thread discussing these to links. Merely Ill say read my replies to your posts. One was a joke hence the smiley and the other revolved around the fact that ....... is the univseral expression for being speechless as I and other posters were in light of that comment.

I didnt think that my actions today were trolling. I presented a case before and after the ban that my intent wasnt to troll. I think you should have given me a warning that my actions were being seen as trolling as I didnt see that way at the time. Once again the discussion was still active when I started the thread. So how could I start a thread with those intentions? Why would I PM you about the thread if I had those intentions? I made the thread as a result of him and I having a conversation in another thread which was a part of expressed purpose for making a thread. If my intent was to badger I would have continued on in the Wrestling DVDs thread and let everything go off topic.
    You said you think my categorisation of you is unfair. my categorisation of you is based solely on my interaction with you as a user and as a mod. These things work both ways.

Again I feel your categorisation of me is unfair and certionly not balanced as my PMs to you as moderator of the Pro Wrestling Ive been nothing but respectful. Ill post the PM I sent you this morning for example if I have your permission to do so.

Neither of those were trolling in fairness and I dont want to derail this thread discussing these to links. Merely Ill say read my replies to your posts. One was a joke hence the smiley and the other revolved around the fact that ....... is the univseral expression for being speechless as I and other posters were in light of that comment.

I didnt think that my actions today were trolling. I presented a case before and after the ban that my intent wasnt to troll. I think you should have given me a warning that my actions were being seen as trolling as I didnt see that way at the time. Once again the discussion was still active when I started the thread. So how could I start a thread with those intentions? Why would I PM you about the thread if I had those intentions? I made the thread as a result of him and I having a conversation in another thread which was a part of expressed purpose for making a thread. If my intent was to badger I would have continued on in the Wrestling DVDs thread and let everything go off topic.

Again I feel your categorisation of me is unfair and certionly not balanced as my PMs to you as moderator of the Pro Wrestling Ive been nothing but respectful. Ill post the PM I sent you this morning for example if I have your permission to do so.

I have given you warnings, they are in those links that you don't want to discuss as you feel they would derail this thread. As I said before, this ban is a result of an accumulation of your attitude and behavior on the pro wrestling forum. Whether or not you feel your behaviour today deserved a ban, your actions since you returned to the pro wrestling forum have been directly and constantly contrary to repeated warnings posted to you in several threads.

That thread shouldn't have been started in the first place, for reasons I have already given.

I also disagree that you have not been trolling. Taking digs at users and trying to drag them into a discussion is trolling, plain and simple from my point of view.

I agree, you have always been nothing but polite to me via pm, if you were as civil towards users while posting in the forum we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place.

I will not be posting in this thread again unless requested to do so by an admin or smod after they have reviewed the situation, as I feel that if I do so we will just end up going around in circles.

• Advertisement

This isn't the first time you have had a go at users who have refused to interact with you. Yesterday you were taking potshots at a user who did something similar after a user stopped replying to you by quoting their replys in thread to other posters and replying to them with sarky little digs.

Sorry I just saw the edit of orestes post (#2) with three selected quotes from me from this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431574

What orestes decided not to portray was that the posts I made which referred to a poster Dre as in Dray was the person who was hostile first not me:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58111650&postcount=44

By being “thick with me” as both McMahon’s and Russo’s first names are in fact Vince. I didn’t deserve this type of reply at the point.

And the poster asked me questions:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58111650&postcount=46

But he ultimately didn’t return the favour by answering this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58111873&postcount=47

I thought Dre as in Dre was not answering my question out of rudeness given the content of post 44 rather than it being the case that he put me on ignore/simply choose not to reply. I was given no indication of either of the latter. The first time I heard any of this was now. I wasnt warned.
    I have given you warnings, they are in those links that you don't want to discuss as you feel they would derail this thread. As I said before, this ban is a result of an accumulation of your attitude and behavior on the pro wrestling forum. Whether or not you feel your behaviour today deserved a ban, your actions since you returned to the pro wrestling forum have been directly and constantly contrary to repeated warnings posted to you in several threads.

Again none of these warnings were for trolling and I think a 14 day ban over an issue which I was never warned about is unfair.
    That thread shouldn't have been started in the first place, for reasons I have already given.

Once again I PM'd you as soon as the thread started. I’ve already presented a case for making the thread most of which you haven’t replied directly to.
    I also disagree that you have not been trolling. Taking digs at users and trying to drag them into a discussion is trolling, plain and simple from my point of view.

If anything I’ve been the one who as been trolled again Ill refer to:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431574 .

As a Wrestling fan yourself if you don’t think ShawnRaven points: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58124539&postcount=841
    were trollish (I labeled them as audacious at the time) then I don’t know what to tell you. I thought at the time his points and my counter points could generate a discussion as they are certionly contrary to at least my view of what the majority opinion of most Wrestling fans. Even he admitted later pretty much that they had little factual basis.
    I agree, you have always been nothing but polite to me via pm, if you were as civil towards users while posting in the forum we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place.

For some reason you seem intent in smearing me in this thread in a way where it is difficult for me to response for many reasons. I had to ask for a positive comment about me from you which by the way somewhat contradicted what you previously said and even then it is backhanded. I don’t want to go into the business posting posts so Ill just direct users to the number of thanked posts I’ve gotten recently http://boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=4581568 and the number of thanks posted via comment is way higher than the amount of the thanked posts in the link. To generalise about me the way orestes has calling me uncivil is grossly unfair.

Advertisement