Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is everybody so pissy about txt speek on boards

• 03-12-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Why use it when you have a full keyboard in front of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Using text speak on a full sized keyboard indicates both stupidity and laziness.

It can also sometimes be next to impossible to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

because it's the lowest of the low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you can't be bothered to write it correctly , I can't be bothered to read it

Help us to help you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Christ, even your username looks like txt speek.

\read the charter, in before lock, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's lazy and it looks disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

no matter what the poster is saying, text speak makes them sound like a 14 year old uneducated chav.

and it is ****ing annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

because all the scummers use txt spk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Whats so fúcking difficult about writing in english?

And it's called 'txt speak' for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Grammar Nazis...they are everywhere :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

some of us simply dont use txt talk, handy and cheeper if using it txting, not an issue when you have a full screen, keyboard, and no limit on the number of characters you can use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Some people find it very difficult to read. And when you have unlimited character limit and a qwerty keyboard, there's really no need for it.

When I started posting on Boards I did use txt spk quite a bit, but when I realised some people get really annoyed by it I stopped doing it. It's not a big deal - just keep the txt spk for texting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

textspeak was a necessity to allow people to write a message without using too many characters, thereby exceeding the character limit for a text message and making your message cost extra.

This is not a problem on computers

kthxbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

sr. kila wrote: »
    wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.

cause old people cant read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Imagine if someone was to start speaking to you, knowingly and deliberately dropping individual syllables or leaving out words entirely. Would you want to talk to them?

Same ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Because it makes you gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.
    Words are like making love to a beautiful woman. You must love them completely and use their glorious bodies to their full potential. Taking letters away from words is like bringing a lady to bed and ejaculating before you even get her socks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Cos writing good is your frend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pighead wrote: »
    Words are like making love to a beautiful woman. You must love them completely and use their glorious bodies to their full potential. Taking letters away from words is like bringing a lady to bed and ejaculating before you even get her socks off.

What's **** then?

What's **** then?
    Soliloquies. Hamlet was a well known wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What's **** then?

most wan*ers use text speak.

You work it out.

What about adding letters? Is that like growing an extra penis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think there should be an instant infraction for using text speak, it makes my eyes bleed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What about adding letters? Is that like growing an extra penis?
    It meeeannnss you're a legend in the bedrooooom and a mmmaaaster of alll thiiingss sexuuualll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I usually ejaculate regardless of socks on or off, just not a priority for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Objecting to the idiocy that is textspeak does not make someone a grammar nazi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

it isnt 2 bad.

Why yes it is bad.

Plus you touch yourself at night and that's why Daddy drinks.

It meeeannnss you're a legend in the bedrooooom and a mmmaaaster of alll thiiingss sexuuualll.

I knew my s-s-s-s-stammer would s-s-sssstart to make itself useful one day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I genuinely can't read / understand text speak.

I always use full words in text messages and only resort to removing some letters when trying to squeze a slightly too big message into a single message

I knew my s-s-s-s-stammer would s-s-sssstart to make itself useful one day.

tease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Soliloquies. Hamlet was a well known wanker.

So what's a haiku?

Imagine if someone was to start speaking to you, knowingly and deliberately dropping individual syllables or leaving out words entirely. Would you want to talk to them?

Same ****.

Not really, in fairness, as the whole point of textspeak is that it's meant to be identical phonetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So what's a haiku?

A quickie?

So what's a haiku?
    Making love at night
    with a woman who is small
    because you like dwarves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Not really, in fairness, as the whole point of textspeak is that it's meant to be identical phonetically.

what if your tone deaf

Phonetically does not mean "typed on a phone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Overheal wrote: »

"Potentially dangerous code, to keep parents in the dark?"

What kind of ****ing lowbrow news station is that? Jesus that's worse than Sky News reporting on some animal up a tree somewhere in America, which they do at the end of every hour.

You take the first letter from each word of a phrase and put them together. You maybe replace some of the characters with unusual characters which have a similar appearance. Highly sophisticated.

If the Germans were using L33T Speak instead of enigma machines we'd all be speaking German right now, no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Text speak is just silly and lazy.

Lolspeak or Engrish however is perfectly acceptable.

Phonetically does not mean "typed on a phone".

Oh hey accidental pun! Sweet!

People do read phonetically. It's how we learn to read, learning what sounds each symbol makes and applying that knowledge whenever we encounter a word. Repeated exposure is what makes us learn the exceptions to these rules (words with silent letters for example) and over time the 2 categories of "straight" and "exception" words fuse in our head as we get very familiar with all of them. But when we encounter new patterns of letters, like textspeak, our first instinct is still to treat them phonetically, which is why the system works.I don't think textspeak is harmful, but I don't like the look of it so I'm glad it's frowned upon here.

• Advertisement

Oh hey accidental pun! Sweet!

People do read phonetically. It's how we learn to read, learning what sounds each symbol makes and applying that knowledge whenever we encounter a word. Repeated exposure is what makes us learn the exceptions to these rules (words with silent letters for example) and over time the 2 categories of "straight" and "exception" words fuse in our head as we get very familiar with all of them. But when we encounter new patterns of letters, like textspeak, our first instinct is still to treat them phonetically, which is why the system works.I don't think textspeak is harmful, but I don't like the look of it so I'm glad it's frowned upon here.

that's just to much waffel for me to read!

abi2007 wrote: »
    tl;dr

abi2007 wrote: »

Dammit. I wish my blather were waffly versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Ross_Mahon wrote: »

Because the sad bastards have nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cause it touches children

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

its ok in programs which require messeges to be small and to the point. its just being lazy on site like this

I understand that and thats all well and good. However there comes a time when people need to move above the basics they learned as infants and start using the same methods of communication as the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

If your going to use txt speak you may as well type using Morse code.
    It would take me as long to understand both.

Useless your 8 years old, have two smashed up hands or have 3 keys on your keyboard you've no excuse not to use English.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: nd vwls fr mkng sntncs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: nd vwls fr mkng sntncs.

Spry nymphs cry by my crypt. Cnsnnts ftw!

• Advertisement
Advertisement