Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is everybody so pissy about txt speek on boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cos boards is a bit stuck up and trying waaay to hard to be politically correct
    What is politically correct about discouraging the use of text speak?
    Do you understand the meaning of the phrase "Politically correct"?

janeybabe wrote: »
    If someone uses text speak once or twice in an otherwise good answer then it's not possible to fail someone.

When I say they fail if it's horrific, I mean if they use it a fair bit. It's not as if they are using text speak for every word, just the odd word here and there. And while I don't agree with it and I certainly let them know how I feel, I can't just fail them because I feel like it. There are marking schemes to consider.

Anyway, text speak on boards is bad!

Yeah, but you could always be evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I do like being evil!

I can write at the end of the exams:

F because Terry said so!

Just noticed that "Ads by google" are sponsoring English lessons, for this thread! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

janeybabe wrote: »
    If someone uses text speak once or twice in an otherwise good answer then it's not possible to fail someone.

When I say they fail if it's horrific, I mean if they use it a fair bit. It's not as if they are using text speak for every word, just the odd word here and there. And while I don't agree with it and I certainly let them know how I feel, I can't just fail them because I feel like it. There are marking schemes to consider.

Anyway, text speak on boards is bad!

Going slightly off-topic, would someone who uses text speak in a state exam lose marks? Are there any guidelines for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Firetrap wrote: »
    Going slightly off-topic, would someone who uses text speak in a state exam lose marks? Are there any guidelines for this?

That would fall under language/spelling/grammar and a certain amount of marks go towards those in state exams. So yes would be the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

What do people think of that lolspeak carry on?

All that chat on icanhascheezburger.com etc.

I personally love using the English language and indeed have often been accused of verbosity.

However now and again it's nice to say f**k and c*nt and p1ss after a few shandies.

Jigsaw wrote: »
    However now and again it's nice to say fuck and cunt and piss after a few shandies.

FYP

FYP

Thank you for fixing my post. How do you get it so that you can swear properly on posts. Now, by way of experimentation,

Piss

What do people think of that lolspeak carry on?

All that chat on icanhascheezburger.com etc.

I personally love using the English language and indeed have often been accused of verbosity.

However now and again it's nice to say f**k and c*nt and p1ss after a few shandies.
    A little irritating, but most of the time it is used by newbies trying to be cool.
    They generally stop using it after being flamed by others for using old memes.

There see what i mean. It ****ed up as I expected it might.

• Advertisement

Thank you for fixing my post. How do you get it so that you can swear properly on posts. Now, by way of experimentation,

Piss
    [nofilter]fuck[/nofilter]

Terry wrote: »
    A little irritating, but most of the time it is used by newbies trying to be cool.
    They generally stop using it after being flamed by others for using old memes.

I have not invested enough of myself in computer culture. There are lots of things on Boards I don't understand. I use Boards because I occasionally find it entertaining. I prefer normal language.

Sorry. Rambling. Drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

[nofilter]****[/nofilter]

aw :(

Am I the only person who generally doesn't care about text speak? I used it loads on my phone when I was younger before I got the hang of predictive texts so I can read it fluently enough and it doesn't bother me at all.

I have not invested enough of myself in computer culture. There are lots of things on Boards I don't understand. I use Boards because I occasionally find it entertaining. I prefer normal language.

Sorry. Rambling. Drunk.
    Me too.
    Piste wrote: »
    [nofilter]****[/nofilter]

aw :(

Am I the only person who generally doesn't care about text speak? I used it loads on my phone when I was younger before I got the hang of predictive texts so I can read it fluently enough and it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes.
    Apart form the OP of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that many text-speakers will probably need to get in touch with these people soon.

http://www.nala.ie/

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that many text-speakers will probably need to get in touch with these people soon.

http://www.nala.ie/
    This website is still under development, so we apologise for any areas that seem incomplete and we welcome all your feedback.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:D

At least they didn't use text-speak to tell you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What is politically correct about discouraging the use of text speak?
    Do you understand the meaning of the phrase "Politically correct"?

I was talking in general, not really referring to txt speak ;)

Seriously though, if you can read it i don't see the problem

I know some people totally take the piss but most is alright like using "2" instead of "too" "two" "to" or using "b4" instead of "before" etc etc

I was talking in general, not really referring to txt speak ;)

Seriously though, if you can read it i don't see the problem

I know some people totally take the piss but most is alright like using "2" instead of "too" "two" "to" or using "b4" instead of "before" etc etc
    Fair enough.
    The thing is though, people shouldn't have to struggle to read it.
    We shouldn't have to try to make out words that can quite easily be typed out properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I always use full words in text messages and only resort to removing some letters when trying to squeze a slightly too big message into a single message
    This is where it all starts.

Guilty, send him down.

Fair enough.
    The thing is though, people shouldn't have to struggle to read it.
    We shouldn't have to try to make out words that can quite easily be typed out properly.

I understand what you are saying and i agree, but banning all txt speak is a bit stupid, but thats just my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I understand what you are saying and i agree, but banning all txt speak is a bit stupid, but thats just my opinion :)

But how do you decide what bits are acceptable and what aren't? The examples you gave like "2" or "b4" are as annoying to me as the most consonant-laden gibberish typed by a 15 year old, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

sr. kila wrote: »
    wel y r dey.
    it isnt 2 bad.

txt speak makes baby jesus cry

Zaph hit the nail on the head there.

None of it is acceptable.
    It's a complete dumbing down of a language.

It's a crude attempt at phonetics and just looks really retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Ugh OP, why do you even ask that question?! :eek:

I hate it, absolutely hate it!!! Though, I do tend to be a little bit fussy when it comes to grammar/syntax anyway.

Not that I always type things correctly. :o

I just think it makes the person using it look like they're a little bit silly. I always imagine a poster to be very, very young when I see them using 'txt spk'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

m3h 7h3r3'$ 1$ p£3n7¥ 0ƒ 07h3r n00b w4¥$ 0ƒ wr171n9 4r0µnÐ.

*p$. 1 Ð1Ðn'7 (4££ m122 £0££¥ 4 wh0r3 :Ð

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

omg y r u askn dis qn m8? u dnt kno? O M G!

I dont even use txt spk when texting. Completly hate it, it drives me insane.

Zaph wrote: »
    But how do you decide what bits are acceptable and what aren't? The examples you gave like "2" or "b4" are as annoying to me as the most consonant-laden gibberish typed by a 15 year old, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I rarely use txt speak for anything but usually i'll throw in some

So id get banned if i did dis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Because everytime you text speak on a forum god kills a kitten!!!!

TRUEFAX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Text speak was needed years ago not anymore, I for one have free texts to any network for only 20e a month, I presume most others also have something like this.

• Advertisement

Text speak was needed years ago not anymore, I for one have free texts to any network for only 20e a month, I presume most others also have something like this.
    Not to mention web texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Not to mention web texts.

Yeah, but with webtexts you can only do one message length at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Wat if ur on boards mobile?
    6th wrote:
    What if you are on boards mobile?

I presume you made that post from your mobile then?

Parsley wrote: »
    Yeah, but with webtexts you can only do one message length at a time!

Not anymore. I'm with O2 and they've changed the webtext so that you can send longer messages. I also use an open source program called JSMS
    which enables me to send webtexts (long and short ones) from my desktop without having to O2's website :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

*p$. 1 Ð1Ðn'7 (4££ m122 £0££¥ 4 wh0r3 :Ð

You did call me a wh0re!!! You thought I wasn't gona understand that, didn't you? :cool:

Also, very true about free texts/web texts. There really is no need for dumbed down English anymore :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I rarely use txt speak for anything but usually i'll throw in some

So id get banned if i did dis?

No, if you did that on one of the forums I mod I'd ignore it. However, if you repeatedly did it, or used text speak to form a complete post, I'd politely request you not to do so again in the future. Ignoring that request and continuously using text speak may then lead to infractions and/or bans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

absolutely no excuse for laziness at the keyboard

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasher
    predictive text by moving the mouse left and right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

wel i cant type fast so its easier

wel i cant type fast so its easier

But much harder for everyone else to read!

Edit: Being able to type is a required skill these days, for all office based jobs at least!
    Why go through the bother of learning how to use a "pseudo language" that is of no use in the real world, and then having to learn how to type in English later.

Bcos da yung ppl think that they're all going to get swanky, high-flying jobs that won't involve them having to sit down in front of a computer and type things in regular English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nah, because it's "cool". Tbh, it isn't the first time teenagers developed a language / code of their own which (they presume) will confuse and exclude their parents.

Nah, because it's "cool". Tbh, it isn't the first time teenagers developed a language / code of their own which (they presume) will confuse and exclude their parents.

Ai reyw! (one key to the right to decode) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

tiye n(caps lock)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    tiye n(caps lock)

thats why i don't like text speak - someone translate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Inability to type is not an excuse.
    If you can move a mouse you can enter text with Dasher, it's faster too.

absolutely no excuse for laziness at the keyboard

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasher
    predictive text by moving the mouse left and right

Inability to type is not an excuse.
    If you can move a mouse you can enter text with Dasher, it's faster too.

I think they got the message! ;)

Just imagine trying to do it after a few beers. :eek:

large text is gay

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

large text is gay

Large text lacks genitalia.

tetx speek is not cool or confusing just simple phonics

and im just too lasy to type proper and correct english

• Advertisement