Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

• 03-12-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a bit premature.... But there has been rumours flying about lately!

With the Yak out for the rest of the season, there's talk of Everton getting Henke Laarson on loan (he apparantly also said he could return to the PL)

There's talk (from commentators, etc., anyway!) of Spuds getting a new goalie to replace the ridiculously error-prone Gomes :D Dunno if that will emerge though. 'Arry says he has faith, and most people say he'll come good eventually.

United are supposedly getting some Serbian winger from Partizan.

Man City are going to buy just about everybody else, INCLUDING (reports suggest) Batman and Ironman.

So I guess post yer rumours, etc., here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Tosic to United and Huntleaar to Madrid seem certain.
    Man City's spending will be the most interesting thing about the window, they need one maybe two defenders but will likely sign a new striker.
    Will Spurs be active? Will Harry want to do some of his reknowned wheeling and dealing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I'd hazard a guess that none of the 'top 4' will make a big splash, but I could see the likes of Diarra to City, and Drogba to make a move. The window is always a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Will Gomes still be Spurs' number 1 come February? David James latest name to be linked to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Villa to Chelsea or City according to Marca. Valencia need €50m before the end of the month, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Valencia need €50m before the end of the month, apparently.

Or...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Theres been stories about valencia needing a tens of millions by the end of the month since the start of the year but theyve managed to not sell until now so id take that with a pinch of salt!cant believe Villa though why o why dosnt he leave no European football, they are not exactly a club on the up and up either like...Arsenal will definitly buy hopefully a CB and a DMC but probably only one of those...Upson is getting mentioned alot and hes making noises that he will leave if West Ham start selling off players in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I cannot see Villa leaving. Real Madrid offered about €40-50 million on deadline day and were told to stick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

According to the papers, Valencia are bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The press here in Spain said today that Valencia are taking legal action against anyone reporting they are in the financial ****s as they say it is under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Phil Babb to Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not a transfer window thread already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Heskey has pretty much confirmed that he's looking for a new club in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think Spurs will get a new keeper - David James or Shay Given.
    Man City will probably sign two or three players. Not of the Kaka/Messi standard, but someone good.
    I think in light of recent results (well, losing two games at home...and not being well ahead at the top of the table), Chelsea might sell Drogba and buy a replacement, maybe another player (no one big)
    Sunderland will be the interesting one. I don't know who's left for them to buy.

One player who seems certain to leave is podolski thatd be an interesting one off hand Villa, City, Chelsea and Spurs would need/could do with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think there's a decent chance Chelsea will sell Drogba and bring in Ibra. Drogba wants to link up with Mourinho and if he arrives couldn't see him and Ibra together

Doubt ihbrahimovic would leave plus hed be a terrible replacemnt for drogba completly diff type of player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Miguel Veloso or Yaya Toure to Arsenal would be made of win.

i could see both of those going although yaya would be considerably cheaper so knowing arsenal itll probably be him plus hes third choice dmc right now for Barca behind two guys younger than him so i can see him moving, Veloso i dont simply because arnt Sporting through to last 16 of Champions League?theyll hardly sell then will they? If only Arsenal could wait till the summer for a dmc thered be him, yaya or gareth barry for 2 million buy out clause or alonso or inler again maybe to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

redout wrote: »
    The press here in Spain said today that Valencia are taking legal action against anyone reporting they are in the financial ****s as they say it is under control.

That's one way to get out of debt!
    Tom65 wrote: »
    I think Spurs will get a new keeper - David James or Shay Given.

Couldn't see Given leaving... I have no idea why, but he seems to be happy at Newky!

Any chance Wes Brown could leave United? It's clear that Fergie rates Rafa da Silva and will definitely be looking to give him alot of game time. Neville's kaput, but he'll still make the odd cameo. JOSH can fill in at RB fairly reliably (no seriously!). I'd say if someone made an offer for Brown, he might go.

i could see both of those going although yaya would be considerably cheaper so knowing arsenal itll probably be him plus hes third choice dmc right now for Barca behind two guys younger than him so i can see him moving, Veloso i dont simply because arnt Sporting through to last 16 of Champions League?theyll hardly sell then will they? If only Arsenal could wait till the summer for a dmc thered be him, yaya or gareth barry for 2 million buy out clause or alonso or inler again maybe to look at

Out of that group my preference would be:

1. Veloso
    2. Toure/Alonso

To be honest I really don't rate Inler or Barry for Arsenal.

Veloso combines the best of Yaya and Alonso.
    He has Toure's combativeness and engine with Alonso's vision and technique. Wenger has saved for long enough, he's a player I couldnt give a crap how much we had to splash on him.

• Advertisement

yea he would have left by now if he was really hungry for champions league football,

Frisbee wrote: »
    I couldnt give a crap how much we had to splash on him.

Then what would Wenger stuff his mattress with??? :D

16 million is a figure that was getting thrown around in the summer for him I agree think hed be immense real arsenal player but just dont see it happening in January is all....Wenger really is stuck in a tough position regarding a dmc in january as would prb get veloso/toure in summer but really need someone now so does he wait or does he get someone not as good now?that Blaise Mathudi guy or someone like that

Good point about Wes Brown but can only see Spurs/City wanting him and would he really go acroos to City/take a step down in exchange for guaranteed 1st team football?He probably should leave if hes looking for 1st team football and therefore a way of guaranteeing a 1st team place for england...Gelen Johnson is going to look like a better option after a while esp as hes playing week in week out

Dave! wrote: »
    Then what would Wenger stuff his mattress with??? :D

Young children, the same way he does it now... :p
    16 million is a figure that was getting thrown around in the summer for him I agree think hed be immense real arsenal player but just dont see it happening in January is all....Wenger really is stuck in a tough position regarding a dmc in january as would prb get veloso/toure in summer but really need someone now so does he wait or does he get someone not as good now?that Blaise Mathudi guy or someone like that

No point bringing in a semi-good player now. Then even if he performs half-decent for us Wenger will say we don't need another DM in the summer.
    We have to do what it takes to secure someone like Veloso, Toure or Alonso. If we don't it's going to be another year of empty trophy cabinets...

Good point about Wes Brown but can only see Spurs/City wanting him and would he really go acroos to City/take a step down in exchange for guaranteed 1st team football?He probably should leave if hes looking for 1st team football and therefore a way of guaranteeing a 1st team place for england...Gelen Johnson is going to look like a better option after a while esp as hes playing week in week out

Couldn't see him going to City... AFAIK he was a United fan all along? And he came through the academy.

Dunno who he'd go to tbh.

Also worth noting that Danny Simpson is only on loan to Blackburn, so there's more competition! Not that he's lit the world up or anything.

Brown should work on his left foot, Evra needs some f*cking competition :p Though the other da Silva twin will probably provide in that respect

Yeah Ferguson must not really rate brown long term if he got in da silva during the summer...couldnt see much sense him going anywhere but spurs or city evry1 else in the big four have better players there cept maybe liverpool and doubt hed go there....Heskey and Owen could both be moving as could a few West ham players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Yaya Toure has been playing regularly for Barcelona the past 5 matches, sincerely doubt he's going to leave Barcelona if he is being played regularly. Especially considering he'll be mounting a strong title challenge here, whereas it looks unlikely that Arsenal will be title contenders come march.

Touré Yaya has rejected all talk of leaving Barcelona in the winter transfer window after being linked with a move to Arsenal to join his brother Kolo.

The Ivory Coast midfielder stated that he was enjoying life so much at Camp Nou that he has no intention of moving and instead claimed that he believes the Blaugrana will win a trophy this term.

Arsène Wenger reportedly enquired about Touré in the summer and was told that he was going nowhere and now the player has reiterated that after The Sun claimed the Gunners were going to make a €7 million bid.

"I am here because I like this team and it is a great club," he told reporters on Tuesday. "I will be staying here because I am delighted with the side and because we are playing some great football.

"Every year the club signs players of great quality and for me that is important because when a team wants to win titles and the Champions League that is what you have to do.

"We have a squad with some incredible players in it and I am enjoying myself here, the team is doing well and I think we can win things."

Barcelona have not won a major trophy for two seasons, but Touré believes that this term could see that change and he wants to remain part of th trainer's plans to help the team.

"The team is playing very well because the coach is from within the club. Everything is working very well and I am happy this year and really believe we can win the league," he continued.

"I am here to play. Things are great and the coach has faith in me and for me that is the most important thing.

Touré then reflected on Cristiano Ronaldo's success in the Ballon d'Or and while praising the Manchester United forward, he said that Lionel Messi was his favourite player.

"He is a great player and had a great season in the Premier League and his achievements in the Champions League were incredible," he explained.

"But for me, Messi is the best. He is my team-mate and I hope that next year he will win it."

No point bringing in a semi-good player now. Then even if he performs half-decent for us Wenger will say we don't need another DM in the summer.
    We have to do what it takes to secure someone like Veloso, Toure or Alonso. If we don't it's going to be another year of empty trophy cabinets...[/QUOTE]

Yeah i reckon hell surprise us all and bring in a big name Veloso or Toure most likely and probably Toure...he seems to have acknowldeged after the Stoke game in particular a softness in the centre both in midfield and at the back

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Yaya Toure has been playing regularly for Barcelona the past 5 matches, sincerely doubt he's going to leave Barcelona if he is being played regularly. Especially considering he'll be mounting a strong title challenge here, whereas it looks unlikely that Arsenal will be title contenders come march.

I can dream man, I can dream...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

is the talk of kolo leaving worth anything?
    because if it is then I imagine Yaya would stay put, no?

mayordenis wrote: »
    is the talk of kolo leaving worth anything?
    because if it is then I imagine Yaya would stay put, no?

I seriously hope not.
    But Wenger seems to have been prioritising Silvestre over Kolo so far which is ridiculous. So I wouldn't be overly surprised to see it happen, I really hope not though..

Yaya wasn't getting game time at the start of the season, and Juve were close to pinning a deal, but he has started getting game time, so I doubt he'll be leaving. If he does though, he'd be perfect for arsenal.

Tbf there's been talk of us getting Yaya for years now. He even did that pre-season with us a few years ago. If it doesn't happen soon, it'll never happen.

Tbh I was really hoping for Sporting to get knocked out of the Champions League, stoopid Shaktar and Basel....

Wes Brown to City? And getting first team football? BAHAHAHAHAHA. Not a fucking hope. We have Zab, Micah and Ned so I think we're pretty set for average full backs.

• Advertisement

eze is and excuse the spelling Brusquets and Keita not ahead of him are they injured or something?I hear Brusquets is a phenomonal talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Doubt ihbrahimovic would leave plus hed be a terrible replacemnt for drogba completly diff type of player

hmm,
    in what way would he be a terrible replacement for Drogba

sure he may not be of the standard that Drogba has shown in the past, but I could see him linking up exceptionally well with Joe Cole and kaloue, effectively bringing midfield into attack, like a better Anelka. He would definitely fit in well with Chelsea.
    Plus he does have excellent hold up skills and could emulate the drogba side of the game to a much higher extent than Anelka.

Except it is prob a few years to late for him, and why would we swap a knee knacked player for another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Man City need a box to box type driving midfielder. Hamann and Kompany are defensive while the rest of the midfielders are attacking. Maybe Johnston will help when he comes back from injury but they really need Essien. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I think Man City need a box to box type driving midfielder. Hamann and Kompany are defensive while the rest of the midfielders are attacking. Maybe Johnston will help when he comes back from injury but they really need Essien. :)

I can't think of anyone realistic to fill that void.

or am i allowed to think unrealisticaly?
    Chelsea have the monopoly on them really with lampard, ballack and essien
    and having no use for sidwell, maniche and tiago.

Just once they don't sign Kevin Nolan.

City should buy Kevin Nolan. He would kick some ass.

• Advertisement

Kevin Nolan?! Jesus we want to win things. We already have enough midtable mediocrity without bringing in some more.

mayordenis wrote: »
    City should buy Kevin Nolan. He would kick some ass.

Only if their allowed give Bolton a minimum of 20 million. No Less...

bar robinho and maybe Stephen Ireland so far this season you have nobody as good as Kevin Nolan, he would actually be a great purchase, the drive and determenation, the guy can pass, he can tackle, he's pretty quick, has a decent but of flair about him. scores goals.

even robinho would sell his soul for that goal.

Sorry but the fact is that Kevin Nolan wouldn't get a game for any of the 'Big 4' and that's where we're aiming for so a player like him is pointless.

The money men are not going to have Kevin Nolan alongside Kaka, Buffon, Villa and whoever else on the shopping list.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry but the fact is that Kevin Nolan wouldn't get a game for any of the 'Big 4' and that's where we're aiming for so a player like him is pointless.

The money men are not going to have Kevin Nolan alongside Kaka, Buffon, Villa and whoever else on the shopping list.

kevin nolan would get a game for at least 2 of the top 4 right now. I'm not saying they would buy him but if kevin nolan was in the Arsenal Squad it would be criminal not to play him and in the centre of midfield I think likewise the united squad, I know I'll get assaulted for that but I think Sir Alex was sniffing around a while back.
    I reckon if Liverpool didn't have gerrard he'd be a club legend.

I'd take Kevin Nolan over Denilson any day.
    That doesnt mean he deserves to play for Arsenal by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a measure of how shíte our midfield is right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

As a gunner i would definitely take Kevin Nolan over what we have at the moment and lmao at a city fan saying that the likes of Kevin Nolan arent ''big'' enough to play for City, jaysus didnt take long for the delusion to set in, sign one misfit wantaway brazilian, get turned down by everyone else in sight and suddenly one of the most consistent midfielders in the premiership isnt good enough for ye, all i can say is i hope it stays fine for ye!!

eze is and excuse the spelling Brusquets and Keita not ahead of him are they injured or something?I hear Brusquets is a phenomonal talent

They were ahead of him at the start of the season, but I think Guardiola has realised that Keita is much more like Vieira than an actual DMF, and having only Busquets, who is really young, is not enough for a squad that wants to challenge for the liga and CL. Even though Yaya isn't and out and out DMF, he is a defensively orientated CMF who can pass well, intercept passes really well, hold the ball up excellently and on occasion make runs into the box. So he is exactly the kind of DMF that teams orientated around short passing and off the ball movement need.

On Ibrahimovic, I severely doubt that Mourinho is going to sell him for Drogba. I've never heard Mourinho praise a player for his talents as much as he has Ibrahimovic, as they have similar goal scoring records and Ibrahimovic is a better all round team player, something that Inter really benefit from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

eZe^ wrote: »
    On Ibrahimovic, I severely doubt that Mourinho is going to sell him for Drogba. I've never heard Mourinho praise a player for his talents as much as he has Ibrahimovic, as they have similar goal scoring records and Ibrahimovic is a better all round team player, something that Inter really benefit from.

I dunno. Italian football is very very poor, Drogba is currently **** while Ibra is his reliable good self, Mourinho has said he wants Drogba and there's no way he'd play Drogba and Ibra together. he probably wouldn't keep them together because Balotelli wouldn't get enough game time. If Drogba goes to Inter I'd be fairly certain that we'd get 1 of Balotelli, Ibra and Adriano. Adriano is too bad and we shouldn't take him, there is no way in hell they'd sell Balotelli so that leaves Ibra, who did say in the past that moving from Juve was a massive mistake.

Also, Kevin Nolan is far too crap for a midfield that has Kompany, SWP, Robinho and Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wes Brown to City? And getting first team football? BAHAHAHAHAHA. Not a fucking hope. We have Zab, Micah and Ned so I think we're pretty set for average full backs.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement