Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you gave a proven Premier League Manager 24 games to show himself in all competitions and he wins 8, draws 4, and loses 10 and thats it. What was Keegans record while he was in charge in '08?

Also this might show you what I'm talking about. I'm sure that if Keegan made that comment it was well into the woeful start at Newcastle when he returned and has pressure mounting.

8+10+4=24....!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

keane2097 wrote: »
    8+10+4=24....!?
    Well spotted, 6 draws.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

totenham and wigan have agreed a fee to bring palacios to spurs apparently.
    goal.com

BTW that is a player Red Star said its wasting of money to bring for 1mil in 2007. when we were negotiating with him...later he went to Wigan:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

BTW that is a player Red Star said its wasting of money to bring for 1mil in 2007. when we were negotiating with him...later he went to Wigan:rolleyes:

he had a trial with Arsenal

It was in fact Wenger who told Bruce to get him,
    they have a great relationship.
    Bruce is wenger's choice to replace him one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Next up for City is a £60 million bid for Daniele De Rossi.

John Terry is also being very, very heavily linked this morning.

he had a trial with Arsenal

It was in fact Wenger who told Bruce to get him,
    they have a great relationship.
    Bruce is wenger's choice to replace him one day.

I know all that,i am saying we had agreemtn with this guy to sign for us but the problem was we refused to pay 1mil for him coz we thought its too much,actually some jerks in the club thought so,later he went on a trial with Arsenal and signed for Wigan...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Next up for City is a £60 million bid for Daniele De Rossi.

John Terry is also being very, very heavily linked this morning.

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Craig Bellamy has sparked fury at West Ham by telling the club he wants to join Tottenham and refusing to play at home to Fulham tomorrow.

Bellamy arrived at the training ground yesterday to inform chief executive Scott Duxbury of his desire to move across London at about the same time as Spurs lodged an official bid of £10million, which could rise to £12m.

This offer was rejected and it was made clear to the Wales forward that he does not have permission to speak to either Tottenham or Manchester City, who have had a similar bid turned down.

Duxbury offered to extend the 29- year-old's contract by two more years, keeping him at the club until he is 34, although there was no pay rise on the table. This deal was turned down by the striker, who cleared his locker and left Chadwell Heath without training, making it clear he would not play tomorrow.

West Ham suspect he has been tapped up by Spurs, who have already infuriated Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Sunderland this month with their moves for Jermain Defoe, Stewart Downing and Kenwyne Jones.

Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola spoke yesterday as though Bellamy had gone, but West Ham are determined not to sell to their London rivals after yesterday's episode, which will invite an improved offer from City.

'You need to have players who are committed to what you're doing,' said Zola. 'We are sorry a player doesn't want to stay with us any more. We respect him for what he has done for us but we want to carry on. We are stronger than this. He is important for us but I am prepared to deal without him.'

Privately, the Hammers feel let down by Bellamy, who signed from Liverpool for £7.5m in 2007 when his reputation had been tarnished by a fight with team-mate John Arne Riise. They also supported him through an injury-plagued first season at Upton Park.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1120163/Bellamy-strike-Walk-coincides-Spurs-12m-move.html?ITO=1490

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

What a pro! How can he be in any way an attractive signing with that attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bellamy should be given a kick up the hole and left to rot in the reserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

And when I slated Bellamy on here about a year ago as a spoit little **** with a horrible attitude, I got laughed at by certain posters.

Never trust a man who has a pop at Sir Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I wonder how we'd play him if we got him. His engine makes him a very attractive player, would he be paired with Pav, Bent or Defoe? I'd be worried about his attitude but when the problem with us is no fight I'd be interested in seeing him come.

Kold wrote: »
    I wonder how we'd play him if we got him. His engine makes him a very attractive player, would he be paired with Pav, Bent or Defoe? I'd be worried about his attitude but when the problem with us is no fight I'd be interested in seeing him come.

Can't see Spuds having 4 strikers again. Bent would be gone surely.

I would imagine that Bellamy/Defoe would get the glut of games, but alot would depend on the opposition and whether the game is home/away. 'Arry really doesn't seem to rate Pav though.

The main negative I would see with Bellamy is that he is not the type of lad you want around alot of young/impressionable lads. Spurs have a lot of players who seem to lack a 'spine' or have developed their character, Craig Bellamy is not the type of **** you want influencing these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Charlie wrote: »
    And when I slated Bellamy on here about a year ago as a spoit little **** with a horrible attitude, I got laughed at by certain posters.

Never trust a man who has a pop at Sir Bob.
    You certainly didn't hear that from me, even though he gave us one great season, but of course he had a Welshman to deal with him. One season where his career was turned around and off he ran for the big money.

Hugely talented but agree with all you say above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can't see Spuds having 4 strikers again. Bent would be gone surely.

I would imagine that Bellamy/Defoe would get the glut of games, but alot would depend on the opposition and whether the game is home/away. 'Arry really doesn't seem to rate Pav though.

The main negative I would see with Bellamy is that he is not the type of lad you want around alot of young/impressionable lads. Spurs have a lot of players who seem to lack a 'spine' or have developed their character, Craig Bellamy is not the type of **** you want influencing these guys.

I wouldent suggest anyone sign Bellamy especially for that money but should Spurs sign him... Bent to Villa maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wigan boss Steve Bruce has revealed that another club has joined Tottenham in trying to sign Wilson Palacios.

Bruce admitted on Friday that Spurs had "virtually" agreed a deal with Tottenham to sign the Honduras international.

However, another club have entered the race for the highly-rated midfielder and Spurs could lose out on one of their top transfer targets.

Manchester United and Manchester City were both linked with a move for Palacios in reports emanating on Saturday, but Bruce insists the Old Trafford side are not the mystery suitors for the former Birmingham man.

"Another club has joined the chase for him and we will see what develops," said Bruce.

"I do not know if an offer has gone in officially as I am not sure where we are up to until I see the powers that be.

"He has a fantastic 18 months here and we will fight to keep him but it is difficult."
    Coy
    City manager Mark Hughes refused to be drawn on whether or not his side are the club interested in Palacios.

"We try not to discuss players we have not made bids for. That is the situation," said Hughes.

"I was not concentrating on his (Palacios) performance today, I was more interested in the performance of my players.

"I saw him in midweek against Manchester United and thought he was excellent."

An unknown Spanish and German club have both been credited with an interest in Palacios and it remains to be seen where the South American ends up before the close of the transfer window.
    hopefully its not utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

hopefully its not utd

Whyso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I wouldent suggest anyone sign Bellamy especially for that money but should Spurs sign him... Bent to Villa maybe?
    fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Frisbee wrote: »
    13.40 Hull City's swoop for experienced right-back Steve Finnan is reportedly off after he failed a medical.

Pity. Was looking forward to seeing him back in the Premiership...

Other reports claim it was not the medical but Espanyol looking to change the payment structure as to the reason why it fell through.
    A pity for Hull would have been an amazing signing for them to renew some of the energy shown in the early part of the season

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/133578/ARSENAL-LAND-ANDREI-ARSHAVIN.html

According to the news of the world the arsenal arshavin deal will be done next week. 17 million is the figure quoted.

Daily Mail says its 15 million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1120731/Arsenal-15m-sign-unsettled-Arshavin.html

I dont know! but it looks like some sort of deal is being finalised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I doubt his wages will be as high as the one's quoted in the first article.
    It will be ridiculous if they are considering we lost Flamini over a refusal to break the wage cap

I doubt his wages will be as high as the one's quoted in the first article.
    It will be ridiculous if they are considering we lost Flamini over a refusal to break the wage cap

I totally agree, those wages are way over the top and I wouldnt believe them at all. Id say he will be on the same amount as Nasri or Cesc

jank wrote: »
    I totally agree, those wages are way over the top and I wouldnt believe them at all. Id say he will be on the same amount as Nasri or Cesc

Aye that would be my guess. They'd give him the same wages as Cesc to make sure he knows he'll be an important player for us.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whyso?

because we dont need him and I dont think he's good enough for utd

also 14 million is better spent else-where

• Advertisement

http://goonertalk.com/2009/01/17/exclusive-arshavin-agent-answers-gooner-talk/#comments

Arshavin's agent believes he will be an Arsenal player.

Looking promising. The player wants out to Arsenal, Arsenal want him, Zenit will sell. The price has to be agreed upon. 95% sure that this will be a done deal.

Abramovic is allegedly trying to sell Chelsea in the Middle East - Chelsea Could be the next Man City ;)

Abramovic is allegedly trying to sell Chelsea in the Middle East - Chelsea Could be the next Man City ;)

Very difficult to sell imho. Absolutely strangled with debt. Roman will want at least the £500 or so million he has ploughed in, and then that just gets you back to zero. Considering the silverware they have won, you would imagine he would be looking for at least another £200 million just as the asking price (and that's on the very lowside).

That leaves you £700 million down (and with a horrible wage bill) without even buying players for a squad that is ageing and disgruntled. Perhaps even more unappealing though is that it's sloppy seconds. Roman came in, spunked the cash, and won the trophies. Where's the satsifaction in coming in, and emulating that at best. Your reign would constantly be compared to his, and in many ways living in his shadows (much like how Grant and Scolari have been living in Jose's)

Newcastle, Everton, Spuds etc. are much more attractive (and far cheaper) prospects in terms of coming in, and putting one's own mark on it, building the revolution yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

i've always said that if i was a multi billionaire buying a football club that newcastle had to be the most attractive of options. big stadium, packed with fans makes business sense like

slingerz wrote: »
    i've always said that if i was a multi billionaire buying a football club that newcastle had to be the most attractive of options. big stadium, packed with fans makes business sense like

The dream isn't always what it appears to be. We we're bought by a 'billionaire'. Might as well have been bought by someone on the dole tbh.

• Advertisement

Very difficult to sell imho. Absolutely strangled with debt. Roman will want at least the £500 or so million he has ploughed in, and then that just gets you back to zero. Considering the silverware they have won, you would imagine he would be looking for at least another £200 million just as the asking price (and that's on the very lowside).

That leaves you £700 million down (and with a horrible wage bill) without even buying players for a squad that is ageing and disgruntled. Perhaps even more unappealing though is that it's sloppy seconds. Roman came in, spunked the cash, and won the trophies. Where's the satsifaction in coming in, and emulating that at best. Your reign would constantly be compared to his, and in many ways living in his shadows (much like how Grant and Scolari have been living in Jose's)

Newcastle, Everton, Spuds etc. are much more attractive (and far cheaper) prospects in terms of coming in, and putting one's own mark on it, building the revolution yourself.

that whole line was just set up for my joke really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so did Spurs even sign Apiah in the end havent heard anything since he went on trial?

so did Spurs even sign Apiah in the end havent heard anything since he went on trial?

yeah i would like to know too,
    and confirmation that Denilson is not a Bolton player?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Denilson is not a Bolton player. They didnt take him on after the trial

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Melion wrote: »
    Denilson is not a Bolton player. They didnt take him on after the trial

True that.

Apperantly Megson said he wasn't in the style of player needed at Bolton.
    Was looking foward to seeing him play in the EPL.
    Thought he would be their Djorkaeff catalyst type player.

In other news regarding Bolton...

Bolton Wanderers are poised to take striker Pavel Pogrebnyak from Zenit St Petersburg on loan. (Manchester Evening News, 1043)

He's an excellent finisher IMO, much better than Elmander who the forked out what...£10M or something

With Davies being too inconsistent and Nolan being ****e this season they need goals from somewhere and Pog would provide that, it would be a great loan deal for Bolton

Wished we(L'pool) would get him on loan incase anything happens to Torres again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Played in a practise match during the week, i heard he was so so, but Harry wants to keep him on ice in case the palacios move doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Podolski going back to FC Köln in the summer. Woohooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

...or the next Leeds ;)

i see De-jong is on his way to city

they just have to talk wages now

That's a very good signing by Sparky if it goes through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Citeh - the new "Glacticos"

Wish they'd hurry up and spend their billions and let normal service resume for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's a very good signing by Sparky if it goes through.

Is it? I heard he can leave in the summer for £2 million or something.

ROFL @ SSN
    "DeJong just has to agree personal terms" :D:D:D

-How much do you want?
    -£100k a minute
    -OK, sign here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

JPA wrote: »

With the position City are in it'd make no sense to wait until the summer to save a bit of money, since the Sheihks are richer than God.

I don't think Citeh can afford to wait for the summer at the rate their leaking goals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Hamburg must be laughing all the way to the Bank. They paid 1.5 mil for him, he was injured a lot, has a clause in his contract that would have allowed him to leave at the end of the season for 2 million Euro... and then city come along and they manage to get 20.5 mil. Euro for him for an immediate transfer.

That's 18.5 mil. Euro for 6 months.

But on the other hand if City wouldn't have come in he would have extended his contract. They had verbally agreed on a new contract with an release clause of 13 mil. This transfer is really strange (moneywise).

DubDani wrote: »
    This transfer is really strange (moneywise).

It's City

It's City

True. I couldn't see any other team in the world doing this type of deal knowing they could pick him up for 2 mill in the summer. Sure pay 5, 6, 7 or something to have him for the rest of the season but £18 million?

True. I couldn't see any other team in the world doing this type of deal knowing they could pick him up for 2 mill in the summer. Sure pay 5, 6, 7 or something to have him for the rest of the season but £18 million?
    I guess, to some people, Premiership survival is worth £130m

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    I guess, to some people, Premiership survival is worth £130m

I wonder will he be as good as Kompany. :rolleyes:

Advertisement