Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seems the transfer window has picked up a bit today thanks to wigan who Sell Heskey for 3.5m, sign Mido on loan, officially sign Rodadellega and pay 5m for Stephen Hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Have to say, Wigan doing very well out of this window. Raising 15 odd million from selling Heskey and Palacios, then bringing players in on loan. Quite sensible business by them tbh. It's not like they are relegation cannon fodder either, only 5pts behind Everton.

Credit where it's due.

Savman wrote: »
    Have to say, Wigan doing very well out of this window. Raising 15 odd million from selling Heskey and Palacios, then bringing players in on loan. Quite sensible business by them tbh. It's not like they are relegation cannon fodder either, only 5pts behind Everton.

Credit where it's due.

Have to agree they have brought in a striker to replace Heskey, in Rogadellega, a striker for while the new columbian adjusts to the Prem (Mido on loan) and albeit in a slightly different position replaced Palacios with Hunt and made around 7.5m profit. It does mean they will def have to sign a striker in the Summer tho when Zaki and Mido's loan deals end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Hull sign Bullard for £5m
    That's a nice bit of business by Fulham. Big loss for them of course in terms of his talent, but its important they keep their wage structure under control.

I expect Hodgson will use a little of the cash to grab another unknown from Scandanavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Thought Bullard would have done a job at one of the "bigger clubs" than Hull. He's one of the genuine players I like in the league and hoped someone like Everton would have signed him. But you never know, Hull are no push over, and he could be just what they need. Hopehe does well.
    Soccer A.M legend too ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Vokes wrote: »
    That's a nice bit of business by Fulham. Big loss for them of course in terms of his talent, but its important they keep their wage structure under control.

I expect Hodgson will use a little of the cash to grab another unknown from Scandanavia.

Yeh I agree. He had a hand in keeping them up last year but the guy is like 30? And he has had a few injuries there. Getting 5m for him is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Would've liked Spurs to be in for Bullard at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Kold wrote: »
    Would've liked Spurs to be in for Bullard at that price.

Yep, a combative, tenacious midfielder. Exactly what we need and at that price a steal. Still, hopefully Palacious will do that job.

Mido to Wigan on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Heskey is the bargain in this window so far. Great signing for Villa imo. Most teams need a player like him, Arseanl, Liverpool and United included.

Being reported in one of the papers that Spurs are going to offer £6M + Darren Bent for Kenwyne Jones :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Being reported in one of the papers that Spurs are going to offer £6M + Darren Bent for Kenwyne Jones :eek::eek:

I like Jones, but we are mugs to be bidding that much...regardless of how much we paid for him, Bent has to be worth at least £8m so that puts Jones at £14m...:eek:

Mugs. :mad:

Bent is better than Jones too IMO, very strange.

Saviola says he wants out of Real.Pompey apparently interested.

---

Bolton make £12M bid for Miguel Veloso (Daily Mirror)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

eagle eye wrote: »
    Heskey is the bargain in this window so far. Great signing for Villa imo. Most teams need a player like him, Arseanl, Liverpool and United included.

As much as I rate Heskey, I think Wigan have done some great business. £3.5 million for a player of his age, and considering he can go free in the summer, is excellent business.

I really like what Wigan are doing at the moment as a club. From chairman to manager, it seems like a great operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I like Jones, but we are mugs to be bidding that much...regardless of how much we paid for him, Bent has to be worth at least £8m so that puts Jones at £14m...:eek:

Mugs. :mad:
    Keane said Sunderland had a £16m bid for a player turned down in the summer. That player was thought to be Bent. I'd say Spurs are kicking themselves now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

heskey is a great buy by Martin O'Neill, he will get the best and more outta him and he will play a big part in villa going for CL place this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

poindexter wrote: »
    heskey is a great buy by Martin O'Neill, he will get the best and more outta him and he will play a big part in villa going for CL place this season

Have to agree. He's just what Villa need at the minute and I'm sure they'll be looking to bring in a defender before the end of the window too given their shortage at the back.

What Heskey also brings is a massive amount of experience to a young team (or a team lacking experience of being near the top end of the table). He's played international, played with Liverpool - he'll prove valuable there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Bolton make £12M bid for Miguel Veloso (Daily Mirror)

MY GOD ARSENE!
    MAKE A FCUKING BID!

Although Sporting did say he's not leaving till the summer...

Frisbee wrote: »
    MY GOD ARSENE!
    MAKE A FCUKING BID!

That's ridiculous money for him though in fairness. Any team would be mad to pay that. I know he's young but really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Indo claim Man City are to bid 20m for Keane?

From Kaka to Bellamy to Keane. Im waiting for the 50m bid for Titus Bramble at this point :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Robbie Keane...

Now that'd make sense. A new back four wouldn't go amiss either, and you'd have a decent team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Robbie Keane...

Now that'd make sense. A new back four wouldn't go amiss either, and you'd have a decent team.

Sense? Why buy an out of form striker with the money they have? From what Ive read even Kaka hasnt even been in sensational form for quite some time, yet City keep wanting to throw ridicilous money at donkeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

shane86 wrote: »
    Sense? Why buy an out of form striker with the money they have? From what Ive read even Kaka hasnt even been in sensational form for quite some time, yet City keep wanting to throw ridicilous money at donkeys.

Because he's still a very talented striker, whose not going to be head and shoulders over the others like a Kaka would have been.

And well, check out his goals for a fairly inconsistent Spurs. They sold Defoe for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And well, check out his goals for a fairly inconsistent Spurs. They sold Defoe for a reason.

We sold Defoe because Mr Levy was not prepared to allow him to leave the club on a Bosman as he had only 18 months left on his contract and was stalling on a new one, because he wasn't getting playing time. There was an offer of a new contract on the table for quite some time

Defoe was not sold because he was inferior to Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A player who huffs and puffs a lot, but never scores very many or provides that many assists?

Sounds a lot like Tevez to me.

Frisbee wrote: »
    MY GOD ARSENE!
    MAKE A FCUKING BID!

His team mate, Moutinho, is a much better player in my opinion.

A player who huffs and puffs a lot, but never scores very many or provides that many assists?

Sounds a lot like Tevez to me.

O Rlly?
    So he does nothing in your opinion, god he must be useless, what do all us people see in him.
    The fact that just by being there he creates space for others, that he can hold the ball up probably better than anybody else in the PL, that his physical presence causes problems for defenders, that he can play on the left side of midfield which he has done a lot over the last two seasons, that since being reinstated as a starter in the England team Wayne Rooney just happened to go on a scoring spree.
    I don't know what we see in him at all.:rolleyes:

His team mate, Moutinho, is a much better player in my opinion.

for City maybe considering they have just signed a DM and already have Kompany, plus Hamann in reserve, but if Veloso is actually available (i doubt it till the Summer atleast) a whole host of clubs could benefit from signing him especially Arsenal where he would fit in perfectly, but instead they will probably spend all their cash on Arshavin and not get a CB or DM (although maybe a really young one for the future).

O Rlly?
    So he does nothing in your opinion, god he must be useless, what do all us people see in him.
    The fact that just by being there he creates space for others, that he can hold the ball up probably better than anybody else in the PL, that his physical presence causes problems for defenders, that he can play on the left side of midfield which he has done a lot over the last two seasons, that since being reinstated as a starter in the England team Wayne Rooney just happened to go on a scoring spree.
    I don't know what we see in him at all.:rolleyes:
    Relax.

You said United need a player like Heskey. I merely made the point that Heskey sounds an awful lot like Tevez. Where exactly did I criticise Heskey?

Relax.

You said United need a player like Heskey. I merely made the point that Heskey sounds an awful lot like Tevez. Where exactly did I criticise Heskey?

Well that sounded like it. I think he is a huge advantage to the top teams with his physicality and his ability to take defenders out of position. Thats why Rooney scores when he plays for England, and Michael Owen. United have a lot of players who imo would benefit from his qualities.
    And he always give 110%, unlike other similar type players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Well that sounded like it. I think he is a huge advantage to the top teams with his physicality and his ability to take defenders out of position. Thats why Rooney scores when he plays for England, and Michael Owen. United have a lot of players who imo would benefit from his qualities.
    And he always give 110%, unlike other similar type players.

who do you mean? Drogba? Crouch?

who do you mean? Drogba? Crouch?
    Read my original post on the matter and you'll see I didn't mention Chelsea in it. Crouch is tall, but nothing near as physically dominant as Heskey imo.

That's ridiculous money for him though in fairness. Any team would be mad to pay that. I know he's young but really.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid about bringing someone like him to Arsenal for that much.
    An absolute class act.

Veloso rejected the rumours linking him with Bolton and City.
    --
    City to bid 10M for Givenand offer him 100k p/wk.

Veloso rejected the rumours linking him with Bolton and City.

imo because he's far too good for either of them atm.

Veloso wrote:
    "This news is unfortunate, because this is not true," Veloso told Sporting's official website.

"I have always been happy to serve the club. The fact is that what is written is not true, which makes me very sad because I started at Sporting.

"It was Sporting who created me and I just have to thank them for everything they have done for me.

"I believe it is an attempt at destabilisation, but both myself and the team are immune to this type of situation. We are only focused on the achievement of our objectives.

"I am happy at the Alvalade and I will continue to work to help the team achieve what we want. I am committed."

Wish some other players would have a similar attitude <_<

I wouldn't mind him at Utd tbh, our CM is piss poor.

Wish some other players would have a similar attitude <_<

I wouldn't mind him at Utd tbh, our CM is piss poor.

I've already dibbsed him.

You already have Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher.

We have Fabregas, Denilson, Song, Ramsey, Diaby.

We need him more :)

(Also I wouldn't call Uniteds CM piss poor.
    Hargreaves is one of the best DM's in the world for me, when he comes back and you have him and Carrick/Scholes lining up beside each other, thats a top class midfield.

Wenger would have a heart attack spendng big money on two players in such a short space of time :p

Hargreaves is another sick note, Scholes is on his last legs, Carrick is a poor player, Fletch is back up. That leaves us with Anderson who isn;t the finished product and don't really know his best positon :S (DM or replacement for Scholes)

Wenger would have a heart attack spendng big money on two players in such a short space of time :p

Hargreaves is another sick note, Scholes is on his last legs, Carrick is a poor player, Fletch is back up. That leaves us with Anderson who isn;t the finished product and don't really know his best positon :S (DM or replacement for Scholes)

That's why I'd rather we didnt buy Arshavin and waited to get Veloso in the summer.

Hargreaves - Yeah he's very injury prone alright, I know what it's like having a player constantly out (Rosicknote) but when he comes back you still have a fantastic DM.

Scholes - Is a great player. Yeah he's getting on in years but I reckon he has another season or two left in him. He also still has the vision he used to.

Carrick - Michael Carrick is not a poor player. He has great positional sense and a great eye for a pass. Im o the only players ahead of him in the passing category in the EPL are Alonso, Fabregas and Arteta.

Fletcher - I never liked Fletcher, thought he was useless. But over the last two season he is the most improved player in the Premier League for me. You can see he has upped the level of his game and it's paid off for him.

Anderson - Anderson will be top class. No doubt about it. However to get him there Fergie needs to stop sticking a needle onto a diagram of the pitch to decide where he's going to play him. He needs to have time to get used to a position, something he isn't being afforded right now.
    He also needs to work on his shooting something terrible.

• Advertisement

Yeh I like Hargreaves him and Anderson are our best CMs. Gutted we lost him forthe season.

Scholes will be 35 next season, this will probably be his last. He hasn't got the legs for the big games anymore. One of my favourite players at the club.

In all of the big games Carrick has been poor. He can't and won't tackle. When he is closed down and put under pressure he fecks up big time. In all of the big gamesthis and last season when he's played we have been dominated. Thank **** we had Anderson in CM against Arsenal this season.

He used to be an AM at Porto so I'm surprised at how bad his shooting is, maybe when he gets one goal the rest will come for him. Him, like Nani have to play more consistantly though.

----
    ARSENE WENGER will make a £7million raid for England defender Micah Richards. - very overrated player IMO.

ARSENE WENGER will make a £7million raid for England defender Micah Richards. - very overrated player IMO.

I don't believe this for a second.

Source?

NOTW :lol: So it's more then likely a load of ****e.

NOTW :lol: So it's more then likely a load of ****e.

fyp

Yeh I like Hargreaves him and Anderson are our best CMs. Gutted we lost him forthe season.

In all of the big games Carrick has been poor. He can't and won't tackle. When he is closed down and put under pressure he fecks up big time. In all of the big gamesthis and last season when he's played we have been dominated. Thank **** we had Anderson in CM against Arsenal this season.

Carrick is by far our best central midfielder at the minute given Hargreaves injuries and Scholes heading towards the final couple of years of his career. Anderson was better last season than this and will undoubtedly improve but Carrick is still better at controlling the game from the middle than anyone else in our side.

He doesn't need to tackle as much as other Premiership midfielders because we're usually dominant in possession, and when he does need to win it back it's his positioning in front of the back four that intercepts so much. His passing is superb and you have to look to tonight when he played in Berbatov against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, that's a shocking analysis of the midfield that won the CL and PL last year. Carrick was the driving force behind that CL win.
    This year against the big sides Carricks been poor? Gee I must have watched a different Carrick put on a masterclass and destroy, destroy, Arsenal last year in the FA Cup. He does get crowded out in some games, but all offensive midfeidlers do. Hargreaves helps a lot because he gets stuck in. Different roles. Carrick is by far the most under-appreciated United player in the squad, normally by non-Utd fans, but by way too many United fans too. People should remember, sold Van Nist, bought Carrick, won the league. Not just due to Carrick, but a hell of a lot due to him.

p.s. saying this after his literally amazing pass to Berbatov is all the more hilarious. It may be the best pass I see this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It drives me mad how underrated Carrick is by most people. I love watching him play, he was well worth the transfer fee paid for him.

PHB wrote: »
    Wow, that's a shocking analysis of the midfield that won the CL and PL last year. Carrick was the driving force behind that CL win.
    This year against the big sides Carricks been poor? Gee I must have watched a different Carrick put on a masterclass and destroy, destroy, Arsenal last year in the FA Cup. He does get crowded out in some games, but all offensive midfeidlers do. Hargreaves helps a lot because he gets stuck in. Different roles. Carrick is by far the most under-appreciated United player in the squad, normally by non-Utd fans, but by way too many United fans too. People should remember, sold Van Nist, bought Carrick, won the league. Not just due to Carrick, but a hell of a lot due to him.

p.s. saying this after his literally amazing pass to Berbatov is all the more hilarious. It may be the best pass I see this year.

Our defence was the most important part of our sucess last year. This driving force that was destroyed home and away by Barcelona? Or against any top side that puts him under pressure.

Yes he has been poor, Arsenal game this year he was shocking. Gave the ball away time and time again. Anderson carried him in that gae,his tackling was brilliant. You mean last year in the FA Cup against some Arsenal reserves who didn't want to be there? :lol:And Carrick is hardly an 'offensive' midfielder.

that season was Vidic and Evra's first full season. And they were much more important than Carrick.

Yeah, one pass. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Major football knowledge fail imo.

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks for your input.

You're welcome - there's no point trying to explain things to you cos if you think Carrick's shít I don't think I could manage to talk down to your level tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement