Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I seriously thought Senna would be one of those players who would appreciate everything Villareal has done for him and would honour his contract. If there was anyone at Villareal that I would have betted on staying there until he retires it would have been Senna. It's a shame to see he isn't any different to any money grabbing wretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In fairness to him.. City are probably offering stupid money and it is going to be his final contract..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In fairness to him.. City are probably offering stupid money and it is going to be his final contract..

Whereas he could see out the rest of his career playing at the top of European and World Football after a club took him from relative obscurity at the age of 26 and turned him into one of the best DMF's in the world, and gave him the opportunity to a key part in a European Championship winning side. He is also fcuking Villareal over, and I can see them falling out of the top 4 if he leaves.

Instead he is going to be a part of a City side that is building for the future, I'd be willing to wager he'll never see the CL with City, because by the time they'll get there he'll be retiring. This may also severely affect his position with the national team, with the likes of Alonso and Marchena playing at the highest level, shame really.

Edit- I meant Albelda, I always get him and Marchena mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What can I say to that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fresh batch of rumours today -

- Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand is to be recalled from his loan spell at Norwich City to pave the way for Wayne Bridge to sign for us for a fee in excess of £10 million.

- The Santa Cruz thing is pretty much nailed on.

- Hughes is well keen on Bellamy having worked with him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

For all City's money and ambition, I don't think Bellamy is quite good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Real are reportedly interested in Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Real are reportedly interested in Ronaldo.

lol

get with the times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

lol

I hear Real are also trying to sign Vieira from Arsenal!!!

I don't think he'd go there though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

lol

It was the first I'd heard if it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Smegball wrote: »
    For all City's money and ambition, I don't think Bellamy is quite good enough.
    To be honest i don't think bellamy is good enough for spurs and with all of city's money you'd think they would set their sights a little higher especially with rumours drogba is leaving to fund a bid for a new striker.
    For spurs i think the only feasable striker for us with the money they are telking about would be kenwyn Jones from sunderland and i don't think he's consistent enough to score enough goals for us i'd love to see santa cruz move to the lane but his price tag is too high for us. Or if tevez would like to move back to london ferguson doesn't seem to want him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Distin to tottenham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BBC wrote:

Tottenham back out of Defoe move

Tottenham have ended their interest in bringing back striker Jermain Defoe after Portsmouth received a "massive offer" from another club.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who left Portsmouth to join the London club earlier this season, brought the 26-year-old Defoe to Pompey 11 months ago.

"I think they've a massive offer from somebody for him, so good luck to them - I paid about £9m," said Redknapp.

"He is a good player but we're not going to pay over the top for anyone."
    BBC wrote:

Chelsea could swoop for striker

Chelsea's assistant coach Ray Wilkins has hinted the club may attempt to buy a striker in January as cover for Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.

Previously chief executive Peter Kenyon had insisted Chelsea would not be active in the transfer window.

But Wilkins said: "We have got the injury situation haven't we?

"If you lose both in the same game, you always need cover with injuries. You have to have a top end of your side with goalscoring ability."

Drogba, who scored his first league goal of the season in Chelsea's 2-0 win over West Brom on Boxing Day, has struggled with both injuries and suspension.

In the Ivorian's absence, Anelka has led the line impressively for the Stamford Bridge side, scoring 14 times in the league - goals which Wilkins described as "top drawer".

Defoe to Chelsea, mebbe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think defoe to City or Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Glen Johnson linked to Liverpool at £9 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    - Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand is to be recalled from his loan spell at Norwich City to pave the way for Wayne Bridge to sign for us for a fee in excess of £10 million.
    Who's us? Barca? :confused: That would be a very odd move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Who's us? Barca? :confused: That would be a very odd move.

Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Telegraph reporting Glen Johnson was spotted at Melwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

That article also claims Pennant is linked to Real. Pinch of Salt....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

LOTP wrote: »

and pennant wasn't happy with the wages :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

LOTP wrote: »

and last week every paper and channel was reporting that as well, it seems to have some truth to it as far as i can see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wonder what happens to RSQ if hughes gets the sack?

he goes back to his proper initials of RSC? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

and last week every paper and channel was reporting that as well, it seems to have some truth to it as far as i can see....

The only way we will know is if it happens, but no matter who reports it, does it not seem slightly rediculous?

Here is some of my predictions, wouldn't be suprised if none of them happened though :

Heskey to Chelsea
    Arshavin to Arsenal
    Defoe to City
    Bellamy to Spurs

Arsenal will try and sign Inler aswell maybe but fail.
    City or Spurs will go in for Veleso.

Arshavin to Arsenal

Arsenal will try and sign Inler aswell maybe but fail.

If Wenger went in for Inler before Veloso it will be massively retarded. Veloso is twice the player Inler is. I don't rate Inler at all at all.
    Also I'd rather not have Arshavin in the team tbh. Veloso and better cover for Gallas/Toure/Djourou than Silvestre and I'll be happy, we're fine going forward, and Eduardo will be back soon.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Wenger went in for Inler before Veloso it will be massively retarded. Veloso is twice the player Inler is. I don't rate Inler at all at all.
    Also I'd rather not have Arshavin in the team tbh. Veloso and better cover for Gallas/Toure/Djourou than Silvestre and I'll be happy, we're fine going forward, and Eduardo will be back soon.

Are we really though??? 8 goals in 8 games is pretty poor to be honest!

Eduardo won't be match fit for ages, Rosicky will be missing for rest of season probably, I think Arshavin would be a good signing for yous.

Eduardo won't be match fit for ages, Rosicky will be missing for rest of season probably, I think Arshavin would be a good signing for yous.

I expect Eddy to be match fit in about a month or so.
    Rosicky is dead an Wenger is just covering, I'm sure of it.
    If we sign Arshavin for a low fee fair enough, but only if we sign a DM ahead of him

id love villa to sign park, now that i see him on the telly

itd never happen coz i dont think fergie would sell, but hes a far better player than hes given credit for imo

Here is some of my predictions, wouldn't be suprised if none of them happened though :

Heskey to Chelsea
    I'd say there'd be more chance of Owen or Defoe going to Chelsea.

Owen is a lethal finisher when fit and Defoe gets goals no matter what. Heskey is too similar to Drogba (sans the diving), imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Owen is a lethal finisher when fit and Defoe gets goals no matter what. Heskey is too similar to Drogba (sans the diving), imo.

Heskey loves a dive as much as the Drog, he's just more subtle about it. Seriously, the lad goes down like a ton of bricks with the slightest of touch.

But hey, he did play with Gerrard for a fair number of years. :pac:

Heskey loves a dive as much as the Drog, he's just more subtle about it. Seriously, the lad goes down like a ton of bricks with the slightest of touch.
    I had never noticed before.

I had never noticed before.

He's a stealth diver. Don't get me wrong, as a player, I rate him highly, and feel he is very underrated, but he definitely goes down far too easy in certain situations.

Don't get me wrong, as a player, I rate him highly, and feel he is very underrated,

why?

Helix wrote: »
    why?

Because what he offers a team, few other players can. His link up play is immense, and it is no coincidence that England's best performances since 2000 have all been when Heskey is involved.

Because what he offers a team, few other players can. His link up play is immense, and it is no coincidence that England's best performances since 2000 have all been when Heskey is involved.

fair enough

i think hes a talentless mule who flails about like an octopus on rollerskates, with the touch of a rapist and the finishing ability of a door

*edit*

and i say this as a supporter of the team he is probably a dead cert to sign for next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From the Times (of London)
    Jermaine Pennant, having turned his back on the opportunity to join Real Madrid, is being lined up instead for a move to Wigan Athletic to fill the void left by Luis Antonio Valencia, who is poised to join the Spanish champions.

Juande Ramos, the Real coach, has been weighing up a number of Barclays Premier League players in his search for a new right winger, but having been priced out of a move for Ashley Young, of Aston Villa, and been put off by Pennant’s wage demands, it emerged last night that he is on course to complete a £14 million deal to bring Valencia to the Bernabéu shortly after the transfer window opens on Thursday.

Pennant, the Liverpool winger, has been accused in some quarters of blowing the opportunity of a lifetime, but as well as being unhappy at the personal terms on offer in Madrid, he was not convinced that he would play regularly for Real or that Ramos truly wanted him. Despite being restricted to only three Premier League appearances for Liverpool this season after falling out with Rafael Benítez, the manager, he is in no rush to leave, but Wigan hope to persuade him to move to the JJB Stadium for £2.5 million.

A complication is Liverpool’s determination to re-sign Emile Heskey, the Wigan forward, another player about to enter the final six months of his contract. Liverpool are confident that a deal for Heskey can be done, and whether the forward departs in January or in the summer, Steve Bruce, the Wigan manager, is already working on a deal to replace him with Hugo Rodallega, the Colombia striker who plays in Mexico for Necaxa.

Bad luck Helix ;)

gutted, wheres me razor blade

hahahaha

I'd rather Heskey went to Liverpool and we got Santa Cruz but thats going to take a fair bid, Heskey would be a decent buy as he won't cost much and he offers a good option up front. I did say some days ago that Heskey would surely pick the Pool if he had an option but then again with Keane finding it hard to get a game he might think again about his International chances if he's simply a bench warmer at Anfield and gets a few starts away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Robbie Keane to Manchester City?

• Advertisement

Keanes going nowhere, Heskey will be the replacement for Voronin in effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs won't be in for Veloso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lot of bookies have stopped taking odds on us signing Kolo Toure on January 1. A lot of City fans lashed on money yesterday at 2/1. Seems like it's going to be our first signing.

A lot of bookies have stopped taking odds on us signing Kolo Toure on January 1. A lot of City fans lashed on money yesterday at 2/1. Seems like it's going to be our first signing.

I'd be disgusted if Wenger let this happen, Toure is a class act (more reliable than Gallas , who seems to want out)!

If this happens I'm literally going to be devestated.
    Kolo is Arsenal to the bone and I'm really not happy at him being dropped for that dope Silvestre this year.
    Kolo should have been made captain in the first place, not Gallas.
    I really don't want him to leave, but if he does, I can understand his reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

lol/ this thread was started so early that it has already peaked and been forgotten about before the window even opened..anyway, carry on with the gossip please...

Latest, Pennant to Hull.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/football/Hull-chief-Brown-admits-interest.4837785.jp

So many clubs have been linked to him I bet he don't move at all. :(

I read somewhere his wages are a problem, i.e. Liverpool are paying him much more than he is worth, so he won't leave unless he gets simalar wages which is unlikely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mike65 wrote: »
    Keanes going nowhere, Heskey will be the replacement for Voronin in effect.

Won't have much to live up to then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

mike65 wrote: »
    Latest, Pennant to Hull.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/football/Hull-chief-Brown-admits-interest.4837785.jp

So many clubs have been linked to him I bet he don't move at all. :(

i love evrything about the idea of him going to hull
    both from a gettin rid of him point of view (wages) and i would like to see him playing for hull..

Advertisement