Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Draupnir wrote: »
    Bridge is a great signing for City, the signing also shows that City aren't going to be as stupid with their cash as some expected.

Didn't Bridge arrive at Chelsea in the early Ranieri days, when the money was just coming into Chelsea? Spooky similarity to the way City are currently set up and their status at the minute. Could be an omen!

£12m for a left back who doesn't pay regular football???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

jasonorr wrote: »
    If he's injured, how can he pass a medical? I know clubs sign injured players these days, but thn what do they actually check for when doing these medicals?

I'd imagine they look for long term, or potential long term, injuries. If he has something small keeping him out for 5 days, it isn't going to stop them signing him.

That's assuming he is injured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

£12m for a left back who doesn't pay regular football???

City are going to have to pay a premium, that's simple fact. He is also a Premier League and Champions League winner, and a senior England international. In today's market, a full back of his experience and ability is easily worth 12 million.

In fairness, only for Ashley Cole, Bridge would have 40+ England caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I think Bridge is a great signing for City (which I hate to say as a Utd supporter). I'd say he'll link up quite well with Robinho on the left.

And to be honest, with all the money City have, would you rather save the 12million and keep playing Ball at left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Draupnir wrote: »
    City are going to have to pay a premium, that's simple fact. He is also a Premier League and Champions League winner, and a senior England international. In today's market, a full back of his experience and ability is easily worth 12 million.

In fairness, only for Ashley Cole, Bridge would have 40+ England caps.

He must have won the Champions League with Southampton...

Don't get me wrong, he's a great signing, but massively overpriced and if this is a sign of things to come (I guess we've already seen this with Robinho and Jo), we can expect a lot of silly spending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Strangely "Defoe" has been reported injured for the weekend as well.

Curious, no?

Also that £12m figure is only a rumour as is the £9m I gave, so both are pretty dubious - can't remember where exactly I saw them, but both were in possible January transfer type pieces - havent seen anything reporting a price as of yet. Could be £4m or could be £20m - normally a consensus transfer price seems to emerge in most cases, even for undisclosed transfers. Haven't seen one for this yet though.

As for the fact that he is not getting regular football, it's probably because he has one of the best LBs in the League ahead of him. It's one thing if Johnny No-Legs is keeping him out of the team, another if it's Cashley Cole. :rolleyes: In fact if you had most people pick a top five premier league players not regularly getting their game, I'd guess most people would have him in it.

And besides, even if the figure is 12million, that's probably about 8million up front and the rest are add ons depending on how he and City do in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well at least City are been realistic and going for Premier League players that are either unable to get a game at a top 4 club or players with mid table teams. Trying to buy the Likes of Villa and trying to buy quick success could be tough

And it seems very uch like a Mark Hughs signing rather than a player that was forced onto him. If he gets the players he wants, City will be a force. For his sake, I hope there's minimal interferance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

He must have won the Champions League with Southampton...

Don't get me wrong, he's a great signing, but massively overpriced and if this is a sign of things to come (I guess we've already seen this with Robinho and Jo), we can expect a lot of silly spending!

Oops! I meant finalist....still a player of great pedigree and ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wenger has ruled himself out of the running for Shay Given...
    Wenger - I am not interested in Shay Given

Arsène Wenger is NOT planning a bid for Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper's disillusionment with life "on and off the pitch" at St. James' Park was revealed in a statement by his lawyer, Michael Kennedy, on Friday. The statement also linked Given with three clubs, including Arsenal, but Wenger dismissed the speculation at his pre-match press conference.

"We have not made any enquiry about Shay Given," said the Frenchman. "I have a high regard for him as a player but we do not look for a goalkeeper.

"I don't believe it helps you [when players link themselves with clubs] but as well I believe it is what we call in this job 'normal business' and we have to deal with that.

"I don’t know who he has spoken to at the Club but it is not me. It doesn’t annoy me and it is part of agent’s statements.

"I believe that what is important is what happens inside the Club. You want the inside of the Club to deal well with what people say and what the comments are."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-am-not-interested-in-shay-given

Interesting too that Kinnear is saying Given won't be going anywhere. It's hard to know what's going on.

I didn't expect Arsena; to go for Given anyway, not with Almunia as there captain now.

IF Given moves, I think it's more likely he'll go to City or Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Average-Ro wrote: »

IF Given moves, I think it's more likely he'll go to City or Spurs.

Won't be Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Won't be Spurs.
    why's that then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Highsider wrote: »
    why's that then?

I don't believe replacing Gomes is a priority, his performances over the last month have been largely positive, and we have much more important areas on the pitch that need addressing.

If we did bid for him, is he really going to move to London? We're below Newcastle in the league and unless we win the Carling Cup we won't have Euro football to offer next year (as I can't see us advancing too far in this season's UEFA Cup, and judging by Redknapp's public statements he sees that competition as well below other priorities)

If he wants to leave Newcastle because of ownership issues and ambition or lack thereof, I don't think he'd swap that for our own mess, there's no guarantee we're in the business of building a squad to compete either. Once we start to spend money on the club's stadium plans there's a very good chance that cash for players will be limited.

We can't top City for wages or spending power either, and we'd be mad to get in a bidding war with them for an area of the field that shouldn't be our number one priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I want a Veloso
    If we don't buy someone. Or we buy an attacking player.
    The sh*t will hit the fan big styles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Bridge is a great signing for City and I'm sorry to see him go. Surley Chelsea must sign somebody, even after Scolari said they will not. That leaves virtually no cover for Cole. Yuri Zhikov's name has been mentioned today and I think he'd be a great signing. He would certainly be better than Malouda and provide cover at left back.

Personally I'm not sure if we'll sign anyone but we definitely need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I hoep we sign zhirkov too,
    and is villa too much to ask,
    I guess so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Zhirkov and Fabiano would be pretty good signings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I hoep we sign zhirkov too,
    and is villa too much to ask,
    I guess so.

Considering that Scolari said today that he didnt expect to sign anyone at all during january (of course he could have been lying), yes it is too much to ask.

When the bridge link first started i read that Chelsea were getting a young LB back from loan that they really rated (maybe Ryan Bertrand, i think his name was) and that he would be back up to A.Cole

• Advertisement

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-the-truth-about-toure-s-request

Thank God. If Silvestre ended up replacing Kolo I would go insane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bridge is an excellent signing. 12 million for a full back is no more a waste than 12 million for a winger. Full back is a vital position in the modern game. Look at all the top teams, they all by far have the best full backs in the game. There's lots of good central midfielders, cb's and strikers in the other teams, but the full backs are all at the top clubs.

People forget that Bridge and Cole were neck and neck for a while, and Terry and Carvalho both came out in support of Bridge. He was the Chelsea LB before Cole came in, and they had one of the defensive records ever in a league.

Great signing by Hughes, this for me is an indication that he is spending the cash wisely, so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    Great signing by Hughes, this for me is an indication that he is spending the cash wisely, so far :)

If indeed it is he who is spending the money.

Well, if its the Saudi's who are spending the money, they are spending it wisely. You wouldn't get many random business men who understand the importance of a solid defence, instead of splashing out on whatever new South American is appearing. Good move from whoever is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I wonder what kind of wages City are paying i.e. over the top or normal for a club in their position, been realistic City aren't likely to get a European spot next year unless they can pull off a good cup run so it's going to be hard to attract top players unless you offer them double their wages etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Am I the only one who thinks £12 million is over the top for a player who hasn't been able to show what he can do for the guts of 2 1/2 years. His lack of games certainly showed up when he had that mare for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Am I the only one who thinks £12 million is over the top for a player who hasn't been able to show what he can do for the guts of 2 1/2 years. His lack of games certainly showed up when he had that mare for England.

Nah, as PHB said, he's a quality full back.

When he starts playing again, he'll rediscover his form.

Behind Cole and Evra, he's probably the third best left full in the EPL.

Aye, you can't deny he's a good left back though.
    Once he gets a run of games under his belt and gets back to match fitness I have no doubts he'll start showing what he can do again.

EDIT: Des beat me to it. And I'd certainly rate Clichy above Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Taking into account Wright Phillips was only 8.5m, Bridge at 12m surely signals the beginning of the rip-off's for City.

Although having said that and realised this mid-sentence, £12m would have been equal to around £8.5m back in august.

Considering that £12 million is also the figure being bandied around in relation to Shay Given, I think it's overkill. Given arguably has another 6 yrs at his peak. Bridge probably only has 3.

• Advertisement

I wonder to what extent the nature of a teams business is having an effect based on the sterling. Clubs like United who get a lot of their money from overseas investment, not least the CL, must be quite happy to be getting money in euros. While local clubs are going to find it tougher because their income is already in sterling.
    Clubs like City with foreign investors are probably going to have even more money to spend than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd certainly rate Clichy above Bridge.

and Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Signed, sealed, delivered -

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6624531
    Wayne Bridge signs for Manchester City

03/01/2009 14:30

Manchester City have today completed the signing of Wayne Bridge from Chelsea for an undisclosed amount.

The 28-year-old England international left back has joined the Blues on a four and a half year deal and becomes the Club's first signing of the January transfer window.

Mark Hughes said of his latest signing: "Wayne’s a player I know I played alongside him at Southampton and I saw him come through the ranks. He was an outstanding young player and he’s progressed year on year in his career.

"He’s a successful player. He’s an England international and has just played for one of the top four sides in the country.

"He’s of the right quality and he’s the type of player we need to attract. We need good players that understand this league and we’ll look to carry on in that way and add more if we can."

Wayne will wear squad number 25 and mcfc.co.uk will bring you exclusive quotes from our new signing later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Think City need 2 centre backs aswell tbh, Richards and Dunne have looked poor IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Stuart Downing 'poised' to hand in a transfer request:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/04/fa-cup-third-round-middlesbrough-barrow

Spurs linked for £15m, surely be a few others sniffing around?. Apparently Woodgate is best chums with Downing.

15m for Downing? Pffft, vastly overrated if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Smegball wrote: »
    15m for Downing? Pffft, vastly overrated if you ask me.

He's English.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Des wrote: »
    Nah, as PHB said, he's a quality full back.

When he starts playing again, he'll rediscover his form.

Behind Cole and Evra, he's probably the third best left full in the EPL.

Bridge better than Gael Clichy :confused:

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    and Cole

and Evra

• Advertisement

Downing must have one of the best agents/pr man, as he is the most over-rated and over hyped players in the English game.

If you think Bentley has been a damp squid at Spurs, just wait for Downing's arrival at WHL. The boy will finally be found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Mark hughes is after five more players,

lets hope there is one or two surprises.

Scott Parker to man city in the nxt 48 hours according to ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Scott Parker to man city in the nxt 48 hours according to ssn

Had his wages tripled in a move to Chelsea. Then became Captain of Newcastle and now the possibility of a move to Man City. wtf.....

To please some people he will have to at least show interest in some big big names, like Villa, he more than likely won't get them but will at least show hes trying to get the star names the hype surrounding City and this window have created.

Bridge is a good start, bidding for Given is a given lol, Parker and Bellamy would be decent but I think Arteta would be a terrific signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rumour mill now linking Stephen Ireland with Arsenal. :eek:
    ARSENE WENGER has made Manchester City star Stephen Ireland his main transfer window target.

The Gunners boss has virtually accepted defeat in his bid to sign Everton’s Mikel Arteta and has turned his attention to in-form Ireland.

Wenger raised his interest in the City midfielder when Eastlands boss Mark Hughes made an inquiry for Arsenal’s Kolo Toure.

The Arsenal boss was given no encouragement that Ireland would be made available. But he could use Toure as bait in a player plus cash exchange bid to tempt City to sell.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/116498/IRELAND-IS-TOP-GUNNER.html

It's the NOTW so I wouldn't read too much into this one but I have always thought he's an Arsenal sort of player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's the NOTW so I wouldn't read too much into this one but I have always thought he's an Arsenal sort of player.

he's good enough to be in the Aresnal side imo

wonder how much he's worth

If City lose Ireland now, they can kiss goodbye to being a top 4 club for quite a few years if you ask me, would be sending out the worst possible signal from an ambitious club.

Would be good and a big plus is that he has no interest in International football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ireland to Arsenal? It'll never happen. For starters his pink underwear will be clashing with the red jersey. Secondly, Manc hardly need the cash and he's been their best player this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

could arsenal afford him? youd have to imagine youre looking at minimum £15m

• Advertisement
Advertisement