Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't see where a minimum of £15m would come into it. He's been their best player and they're the richest club in the world. I don't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Helix wrote: »
    could arsenal afford him? youd have to imagine youre looking at minimum £15m

Don't believe all you hear in the media re Arsenal and finances, yes possibly we can't afford to be going out paying £25m and £30m on players as this would go beyond the clubs natural means but £15m would not be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Win win for Ireland really, get a move to Arse or get a big fat pay increase from the Sheiks to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sky Sports News understands Scott Parker will join Manchester City within the next 48 hours.

City boss Mark Hughes is desperate to add steel to his badly underachieving side and has earmarked West Ham's Parker to do just that.

Hammers chief Gianfranco Zola is a firm admirer of a player well liked at Upton Park, but the club's precarious financial position is likely to dictate a sale.

Sky Sports has learnt that Parker has already engaged with City officials over personal terms that will substantially improve his current deal of £70,000 per week should the move be pushed through.

City initially targeted Lassana Diarra but have now turned to Parker in light of the then Portsmouth man's decision to spurn their offer in favour of Real Madrid.

Parker's career has not perhaps taken off as he would have liked since leaving Charlton for Chelsea in 2004, with a subsequent move to Newcastle not seeing the best of him either.

At West Ham, though, he has rediscovered his best form and has forced his way back into the England reckoning under Fabio Capello.

It is such displays of late that have prompted a sizeable offer from City and it does now look as though he will become the latest big money signing to make the switch to Eastlands.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4745527,00.html

An improvement on £70,000?
    For Scott Parker? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I wonder where Scott Parker's carear would have gone if it weren't for big money foreign takeovers (and Fat Freddy making his annual 'big name signing' :rolleyes:).

Seriously, the guy must be one of the biggest EPL whores going.

City fans, expect him to get disgruntled with life 'up north', and back down in London within 2 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I must say I've never been that impressed with Parker. A good player alright, but I wouldn't have thought he'd be the standard City would be looking for. I can see him maybe being a short-term solution but as charlie touched on I'd be very surprised if he's there in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

When parker was at charlton I always thought he was a very neat tidy player. Bit of "does nothing fancy but does it right" sort of player.

Injuries and the like though havent helped him. Cant believe hes on that sort of money at the moment though.

Was on bbc Gossip column today that liverpool are linked with a 9.5 million move for Glen Johnson. Would be a great buy if we could manage it.

Ha ha, Scott Parker was crap against Villa recently so crap he was subbed at H/T(may have been injured), why are Man City buying all of Chelseas cast offs?

One thing this window seems to be highlighting is that recession or no recession, the idiotic 'cause he's English innit' tax is still being levied.

Seriously, the guts of £10 million for Johnson is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Downing must have one of the best agents/pr man, as he is the most over-rated and over hyped players in the English game.

If you think Bentley has been a damp squid at Spurs, just wait for Downing's arrival at WHL. The boy will finally be found out.
    I'll go on record as saying that you are completely. Downing is a class act and he'll prove it.
    Also Bentley is a guy that took time to settle in at Blackburn but when he did he was brilliant. I'd expect him to get better as time goes by at Tottenham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Santa Cruz to Citeh for 18 million reckons the guardian.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'll go on record as saying that you are completely. Downing is a class act and he'll prove it.
    Also Bentley is a guy that took time to settle in at Blackburn but when he did he was brilliant. I'd expect him to get better as time goes by at Tottenham.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you re Bentley (but £17 million was ridiculous when you consider Nando cost £20 million) , my point though was that if people feel he has been luke warm, then Downing will be like an ice cold bath.

Medium sized fish at a very small pond, and that's putting it at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Podolski has today been rumoured to have recieved interest from a few Premier League sides.
    Spurs and City are reported to have declared interest in him.
    With Defoe on his way to White Hart lane this could pave the way for a move to the City of Manchester stadium.
    Whether this is true or not it is one to watch as an alternative to the crazy notion of them heading up a bid for Villa.
    Would be a good bargain for any of the mid table teams as he is a top quality player who will go for reasonable money being out of favour at Bayern Munich and giving the player an alternative to returning to his native mediocre team Cologne

ecoli wrote: »
    Podolski has today been rumoured to have recieved interest from a few Premier League sides.
    With Defoe on his way to White Hart lane this could pave the way for a move to the City of Manchester stadium.
    Whether this is true or not it is one to watch as an alternative to the crazy notion of them heading up a bid for Villa.
    Would be a good bargain for any of the mid table teams as he is a top quality player who will go for reasonable money being out of favour at Bayern Munich and giving the player an alternative to returning to his native mediocre team Cologne

How dare you

ecoli wrote: »

I've read those links as well, seemingly Koln have first refusal on him when he leaves BM, but do Koln have the cash and also would he want to go back there? they're hardly setting the world alight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Podolski will go to Hamburg as a direct replacement for Olic who is off to Bayern in the summer.

Parker is a great signing as a squad player.

And Ireland is going nowhere.

I dunno what the deal is but last transfer window the asking price for Podolski was €20m unless you were Köln, then it was €15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mike65 wrote: »
    Santa Cruz to Citeh for 18 million reckons the guardian.

Is he worth that kind of money? I haven't seen much of him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is he worth that kind of money? I haven't seen much of him...

With the money City have now, no player they buy will be worth the money they pay.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    With the money City have now, no player they buy will be worth the money they pay.

Is Santa Cruz worth 18 million?

What is he worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4748862,00.html
    Sky Sports News understands that England winger Stewart Downing has handed in his transfer request.

The Middlesbrough-born wide man has told his hometown club that he wants to leave, with Tottenham trying to broker a deal for his services.

Spurs had a bid of £6million rejected over the weekend, although Sky Sports understands they have made a revised offer of over £10million.

Boro chief Steve Gibson insists that he will not be selling any of his big names in January - but with the player now confirming he wants to leave, it remains to be seen whether he will get his wish or not.

The Teesside club set a precedent with their current squad in the summer when they allowed the then unsettled Luke Young to quit the club for Aston Villa - which they had not initially planned to do.

Now Downing, along with Gary O'Neil and Mido, are testing Gibson's resolve further as all seek moves away from Teesside.

it has been confirmed on ssn now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

18m for Santa Cruz, christ on a bike thats some profit for Blackburn! Didn't they buy him for 3.5m last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

villa to bid by the close of play tomorrow

i feels it in me waters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

villa to bid by the close of play tomorrow

i feels it in me waters

Maybe but I really don't think he'd chose us over spurs.

Is Ashley Young not a left winger?

Defoe has his heart set on Spurs it seems, he has a big man crush for Redknapp by looks of it!

Is Ashley Young not a left winger?

Who?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Who?

Guy who plays for Villa?

I'm sorry maybe I missed the train of the conversation but I thought ye were saying Villa were going to bid for Downing...??

• Advertisement

Guy who plays for Villa?

I'm sorry maybe I missed the train of the conversation but I thought ye were saying Villa were going to bid for Downing...??

young can play right wing, left wing, in the hole, and up front

versatile young fellow

young, milner, agbonlahor and downing would offer a huge amount of versatility

Maybe but I really don't think he'd chose us over spurs.

still cant get my head around why anyone would pick a relegation fight over a champions league fight, but i suppose some people are just strange

i dont think we'll get him either, but i think we'll put in a bid. maybe to artificially raise the price for spurs

Guy who plays for Villa?

Yeah I was j/k, Downing won't go to Villa and compete for the left wing spot with Young. Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Smegball wrote: »
    18m for Santa Cruz, christ on a bike thats some profit for Blackburn! Didn't they buy him for 3.5m last season?

Yeah it's good business but as a Blackburn fan I'd hate to see him go.

Fair enough it wouldn't be the end of the world with Roberts playing well and getting a handful of goals, 3 or 4 goals in the last 4 games for Benni Mac and Derbyshire will be at least a handy sub. But still, chances are, if they go for a replacement striker with the proceeds of the sale they won't tempt anyone of any kind of quality.

I'd be interested in what people think. My three scenarios are:

Best Case - Santa Rocky Cruz* stays and they spend small money on a decent centre half

Medium Case - Roh-Kay Crewez** goes for good money and Sam buys a good, proven centre half (perhaps not Ben Haim)

Worst Case - Roque Michael Caruth*** is sold and some terrible journeyman striker who's still mysteriously able to command a high price is bought with no additions to defence or midfield.

*Brian Kerr
    **Johnny Giles
    ***Frank Stapleton

McCarthy seems to have hitten some form and Roberts is doing well, Derbyshire as you said is decent, he can get you some goals, they should be ok in that department, they need some organisation in the defence, they have the same good back 4 as last season except a dodgy keeper in replacement now, they will stay up with or without Santa Cruz imo.

still cant get my head around why anyone would pick a relegation fight over a champions league fight, but i suppose some people are just strange

i dont think we'll get him either, but i think we'll put in a bid. maybe to artificially raise the price for spurs

Oh absolutely and not only that, you'd also think he'd be enticed by the prospect of developing his game under JR and MON but sure what can you do...

McCarthy seems to have hitten some form and Roberts is doing well, Derbyshire as you said is decent, he can get you some goals, they should be ok in that department, they need some organisation in the defence, they have the same good back 4 as last season except a dodgy keeper in replacement now, they will stay up with or without Santa Cruz imo.

Ah yeah, totally agree re: staying up. I think genuine concerns were put to bed when Ince went and SA was appointed. 5 points from 3 games isn't world beating but it's certainly a world away from the previous 10 games. 2 clean sheets and one almost-clean-sheet was also notable.

As regards RSC going though, it's strange that he's not really being reported on as much as Downing, Parker, Defoe and one or two others. Very little mention on the F365 and Premierleague.com homepages which could be good news. He did sign a new 4 year deal only a few months ago to reaffirm his loyalty. His brother has been brought in (on trial I think) which was a wise move on the club's part. But I'd say Hughes could tempt him, given that it's he who rescued the striker from the doldrums in Germany.

Who knows but I guess my main concern is that if he goes, regardless of having money and a fairly wise manager, who the hell would wanna join Blackburn!?

Downing won't go to Villa and compete for the left wing spot with Young. Not a hope.

if, big if now, we did go for him and get him, i dont think hed be in to compete with young. i think young would be given a more free role

As regards RSC going though, it's strange that he's not really being reported on as much as Downing, Parker, Defoe and one or two others. Very little mention on the F365 and Premierleague.com homepages which could be good news. He did sign a new 4 year deal only a few months ago to reaffirm his loyalty. His brother has been brought in (on trial I think) which was a wise move on the club's part. But I'd say Hughes could tempt him, given that it's he who rescued the striker from the doldrums in Germany.

Who knows but I guess my main concern is that if he goes, regardless of having money and a fairly wise manager, who the hell would wanna join Blackburn!?

I will be shocked if Santa Cruz doesn't join City now tbh.

Blackburn aren't the most desirable of clubs alright and especially now seeing as they are set to have lost their two best players in last six months
    ( Bentley and Santa Cruz).
    They won't be able to attract the names to the club unless they are the sole runner for them imo, thats where Big Sam will have to do some wheeling and dealing to get some bargains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well big sam always got people to sign for bolton often through the Harry Redknapp method style of wheeling and dealing i.e sign a cheap but very good experienced (30+usually) player you can get a few more years out but Sam doesnt mind going to the continent like with Campos or Djorkaeff. He got Anelka to go to Bolton afterall he should do okay if hes given a reported 18m to play with and the board unlike with the bently money actually let him spend it all.

• Advertisement

I will be shocked if Santa Cruz doesn't join City now tbh.

Blackburn aren't the most desirable of clubs alright and especially now seeing as they are set to have lost their two best players in last six months
    ( Bentley and Santa Cruz).
    They won't be able to attract the names to the club unless they are the sole runner for them imo, thats where Big Sam will have to do some wheeling and dealing to get some bargains.

Don't forget you can throw Friedel into that bracket there too. How depressing!

The only transfer talk I've hears Allardyce discussing was when he mentioned El Hadj Diouf and Ben Haim. I'm glad he's looking at a centre half but I don't know about Ben Haim. EHD would be a horrible addition if you ask me. Maybe that's more on the basis of style and attitude (not luxuries a blackburn fan can afford) but still...

Defensively Rovers have a couple of decent players in Warnock and Nelson, as well as a potentially very good full back in the young sweedish lad, Olson, but not quite yet. Ouijer, Samba and Emerton (when he plays right-full) are causing chaos at times, from what I can see. While Samba can be the hero twise or three times a season, he's a total liability on a far too regular basis.

I'd love to see Sam pull in a good championship centre half and right full. Has Ben Haim ever played right-full actually? They need something in midfield too but probably couldn't get anyone worth getting. Andrews is doing really well IMO. Dunn is due back soon.

I'm not giving up the ghost on RSC staying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Defoe has his heart set on Spurs it seems, he has a big man crush for Redknapp by looks of it!
    Why do Spurs want him? :confused: Surely if they're buying a striker they'll look for a support striker to play off Bent of Pav?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Defoe has played some of the best football of his career under Redknapp, first at West Ham and then at Pompey. He's a player who needs his manager to have faith in him (hence his barren spells under Jol and Ramos, and his falling out with Adams), who knows he needs to play regular first team football to have a shout for a place in the England squad, and he knows he would be adored by Spurs fans if he came back. It's win win for him if Levy and Storie can agree on the fee.

Hold on a sec, is there anything to suggest Villa are even interested in Downing? How is he choosing anyone over anyone? :confused: All I'm aware of is Spurs have bid for him, Boro have turned down the bid, and he's requested a move himself. Have I missed anything other than speculation on this thread?

And as for MON trying to raise the price for Spurs...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

In other news, according to the Beeb Stephen Appiah is training at Spurs this week with a view to him signing a 6 month deal.

That young Downing pup has had his transfer bid confirmed and rejected by the Boro chief exec:
    BORO - DOWNING`S GOING NOWHERE
    Posted 05/01/09 17:36

Middlesbrough have confirmed they've received and rejected a transfer request from England winger Stewart Downing.

The 24-year submitted a written transfer request first thing morning in the wake of an improved offer from long-time suitors Tottenham.

Chief executive Keith Lamb said: "We received a written transfer request from Stewart this morning. It was considered before being rejected.

"Prior to receiving the transfer request, we received an improved offer for Stewart from Tottenham.

"We immediately rejected this offer and informed Tottenham that Stewart Downing is not for sale and any further interest they have in the player will not be entertained."

Hold on a sec, is there anything to suggest Villa are even interested in Downing? How is he choosing anyone over anyone? :confused: All I'm aware of is Spurs have bid for him, Boro have turned down the bid, and he's requested a move himself. Have I missed anything other than speculation on this thread?

nothing apart from the fact that we were in for him in the summer, and i get the feeling we're probably still interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

nothing apart from the fact that we were in for him in the summer, and i get the feeling we're probably still interested.

Was Milner not signed in the meantime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No chance Downing's going to Villa.

Was Milner not signed in the meantime?

he was, but him and young are our only wingers

we need another couple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

he was, but him and young are our only wingers

we need another couple

Very few clubs, if any, have more than 1 good to very good winger on either flank. I personally don't see Villa going for him.

Advertisement