Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Was Milner not signed in the meantime?

Chelsea used to have wright Philips, Joe Cole, Arjen Robben, Damien Duff.

If only they replaced them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In other news, according to the Beeb Stephen Appiah is training at Spurs this week with a view to him signing a 6 month deal.

Ridiculous. Someone we certainly could have done with. Especially if Arsene doesn't bring in a decent Defensive Midfielder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Chelsea used to have wright Philips, Joe Cole, Arjen Robben, Damien Duff.

If only they replaced them.

Used to have ;) twas a savage line up though!!

Anyway, my point is that very clubs anymore have more than one quality winger on either wing.

If Downing was purchased, I imagine it would lead to Young moving over to the right and Milner dropping to the bench. Considering that Milner was only recently bought for quite a wad of cash, I don't see it happening.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Someone we certainly could have done with. Especially if Arsene doesn't bring in a decent Defensive Midfielder...

Is it just me or is it looking increasingly likely that no one will be arriving at Arsenal this window?

Is it just me or is it looking increasingly likely that no one will be arriving at Arsenal this window?

Please don't say that.

van Bommel on a free is my new one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Whats the story with Stephen Appiah.he has impressed me anytime i have watched him ,he just turned 28 and should be in his prime.doesnt seem to stay long with any club,is he a troublemaker?i know there was a fall out at fenerbache.reckon he could be an excellent signing for plenty of EPL clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Very few clubs, if any, have more than 1 good to very good winger on either flank. I personally don't see Villa going for him.

downing isnt a very good winger

If Downing was purchased, I imagine it would lead to Young moving over to the right and Milner dropping to the bench. Considering that Milner was only recently bought for quite a wad of cash, I don't see it happening.

nah, itd move young into the hole behind gabby

yabadabado wrote: »
    Whats the story with Stephen Appiah.he has impressed me anytime i have watched him ,he just turned 28 and should be in his prime.doesnt seem to stay long with any club,is he a troublemaker?i know there was a fall out at fenerbache.reckon he could be an excellent signing for plenty of EPL clubs

He had a bad knee injury and Fenerbache wouldn't let him rest to let it clear up so it got much worse and he was out for the whole season. He's been a free agent since like June or something.
    The only reason I can see people not going for him is his injury problems.
    But tbf I'd like to see him at Arsenal, he's a free agent, the Ghana captain and exactly the kind of player we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Xavi6 wrote: »

Parker is a great signing as a squad player.

at what price though, surly 10 million is way to much too pay for a squad player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

at what price though, surly 10 million is way to much too pay for a squad player

I think you're forgetting just how rich these people are.

I always rated Parker pretty highly, thought the move to Chelsea was disastrous because he was competing directly with Makelele, who was the best in the world in that position. I couldn't understand when Newcastle were buying Barton and selling Parker. Very decent player IMO. Although with Kompany being one of City's only consistent players this season in that position, I wonder where he'll fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

No I'm aware of there wealth but 10 million is still alot for a guy who wont play an a regular basis . The money would be better spend investing in a very promising player like united did with the 2 Serbians. just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I always rated Parker pretty highly, thought the move to Chelsea was disastrous because he was competing directly with Makelele, who was the best in the world in that position. I couldn't understand when Newcastle were buying Barton and selling Parker. Very decent player IMO. Although with Kompany being one of City's only consistent players this season in that position, I wonder where he'll fit in.

Might just move Kompany back to CB.

Smegball wrote: »

Wouldn't be a bad shout.
    He's really impressed me so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Although with Kompany being one of City's only consistent players this season in that position, I wonder where he'll fit in.

On the bench, where he'll be happy to draw down his 70+k for a couple of years before securing another big signing on fee in a couple of years time, I just hope we finally manage to address the lack of grit in our midfield so we aren't the mugs paying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Smegball wrote: »

That is a strong possibility, though I can this for away games -

Kompany
    Parker

SWP
    Ireland
    Robinho

Striker

If Parker signs then he is a massive upgrade on Hamann and Gelson which suits me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Kompany
    Parker

SWP
    Ireland
    Robinho

Striker

If Parker signs then he is a massive upgrade on Hamann and Gelson which suits me fine.
    that wud be a good line up home or away give the front four attacking license but the back 4 wud have good protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Kompany
    Parker

SWP
    Ireland
    Robinho

Striker

That really isn't the sort of team I was expecting to see from City when they announced those Sheiks were taking over.

DSB wrote: »
    That really isn't the sort of team I was expecting to see from City when they announced those Sheiks were taking over.

What did you expect? A front 5 of Kaka, Robinho, Villa, Messi and Ronaldo?

You have to be realistic. We are still very much an average side so the above players are never going to come to us, nor should they. We don't have Champions League football and we aren't challenging on the domestic front. Not exactly the most attractive prospect.

It is important to build gradually. As I said, Parker is an upgrade on what we have, and hopefully in a year's time we will be able to upgrade him to something better.

The team needs solid signings right now. We are fantastic to watch going forward on our day but we are essentially a team of pushes. We need to add some steel to that in order to get some balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You have to be realistic. We are still very much an average side so the above players are never going to come to us, nor should they. We don't have Champions League football and we aren't challenging on the domestic front. Not exactly the most attractive prospect.

It is important to build gradually. As I said, Parker is an upgrade on what we have, and hopefully in a year's time we will be able to upgrade him to something better.

The team needs solid signings right now. We are fantastic to watch going forward on our day but we are essentially a team of pushes. We need to add some steel to that in order to get some balance.

I was thinking more Diarras than Parkers to be honest. And Wright-Phillips won't be the player to make that push up. It'll be interesting to see how Ireland is long-term though. Form would suggest he might be able to make the push up to what City aspire to be.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    I was thinking more Diarras than Parkers to be honest. And Wright-Phillips won't be the player to make that push up. It'll be interesting to see how Ireland is long-term though. Form would suggest he might be able to make the push up to what City aspire to be.

We were in for Diarra but he rejected us. Why? Because playing Champions League football with one of the biggest clubs in the world is a more attractive prospect than a relegation/midtable dogfight with an average side.

That sums up our problem. We got lucky with Robinho because he had no other option than to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are the owners that patient though? That question is really more rhetorical I suppose, unless you know them personally...

Congrats on the Fantasy AmFoot title btw!

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Are the owners that patient though? That question is really more rhetorical I suppose, unless you know them personally...

Who knows? I guess you could say they are seeing as Hughes is still in job after results against WBA and Forest.

Cheers! Lookin forward to next year's one already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Neil3030 wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance, but what has this esteemed journalist won now?!!!

only1stevo wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what has this esteemed journalist won now?!!!

Nothing much. It was the Boards.ie Fantasy NFL comp. Good craic.

Anyway, today's gossip bollox is comes courtesy of The Sun -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2098264.ece
    City make £24m bid for Yaya

By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS

MANCHESTER CITY have made a stunning £24million bid for Barcelona midfield star Yaya Toure.

Barca will fight tooth and nail to keep Toure.

A top source at the club said: “There is an offer for Yaya but the club will do what is necessary to convince the player to stay.”

Yaya, younger brother of Arsenal defender Kolo Toure, earns £2.4million a year at the Nou Camp.

It is understood City will DOUBLE his wages in an effort to tempt him away.

The Ivory Coast ace, 25, is unsettled as Barca had promised him a new deal last summer but it never materialised.

Toure, who has also been a target for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, is considered one of the best central midfielders in Europe and has been dubbed the ‘new Patrick Vieira’ in Spain.

He snubbed Arsenal in favour of Barca when he left Monaco 18 months ago.

He was linked with Italian giants Juventus last summer but Barcelona refused to sell.

He scored a sensational solo goal in the 3-1 win over Real Mallorca last weekend.

As City make another big-money bid, skipper Richard Dunne insists the board must stick by under-fire boss Mark Hughes.

He said: “The club need to keep backing him as the players believe what we’re doing in training is right.”

Thoughts eZe^?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

new thread listing done deals?

Aston Villa have had a bid rejected for Matthew Upson, skysports.com understands. It is thought the initial offer was around £11million.

*managed to post it in the right thread this time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

11 million for Upson, and it was rejected? The english market is freaking crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nothing much. It was the Boards.ie Fantasy NFL comp. Good craic.

Anyway, today's gossip bollox is comes courtesy of The Sun -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2098264.ece

Thoughts eZe^?! :P

24 million? That's alotta dough for a defensive CMF, I still wouldn't sell him, he is the only established experienced international DMF we have, Keita is more of an attacking CMF, Busquets is learning the role but Yaya has perfected it. Him and Kompany would be a bruising midfield with enough finesse to open up defenses iswell, they'd work really well together against the Bolton's and Blackburn's of this world.

But I highly doubt he'll leave a club challenging for 3 trophies to join a club that is trying to avoid challenging for one (the championship next season).
    The deal breaker for me is that the sun claims he is unsettled (maybe if they made that case 2 months ago, when Pep was trying to replace Yaya with Keita), when really he has never been more assured of his role in the team since he joined last season.

11 million for Upson, and it was rejected? The english market is freaking crazy.

That is crazy money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

eZe^ wrote: »
    But I highly doubt he'll leave a club challenging for 3 trophies to join a club that is trying to avoid challenging for one (the championship next season).
    Fat Tony wrote:
    You see, my wife, she has been most vocal on the subject of the pretzel monies. "Where's the money? "When are you going to get the money?" "Why aren't you getting the money now?" And so on.

Could this line of thinking influence him enough?

Agreed, that's absolutely ridiculous money for Upson.

I wouldn't say there's anything behind that Yaya to Citeh rumour but if there is.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its a nonsense rumour MON has totally denied it on the official Villa site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

whats with Meelan offering Pennant a deal?
    what do these clubs see in him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not stupid, West Ham need Upson more than they need 11 million. Now if they offered 14 :)

whats with Meelan offering Pennant a deal?
    what do these clubs see in him?

did MILAN actually offer him a deal, i though it was just speculation, can't really see why MILAN would want him.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its not stupid, West Ham need Upson more than they need 11 million. Now if they offered 14 :)

It is stupid - he is not worth 11 million. No club should be offering that for him.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Could this line of thinking influence him enough?

There's always that to be fair, but Barca pay mega wages as it is so he may be patient enough to wait a season and see if he can get a new contract.

There's always that to be fair, but Barca pay mega wages as it is so he may be patient enough to wait a season and see if he can get a new contract.

Before signing for Arsenal :cool:

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Before signing for Arsenal :cool:

Tut tut Laura, you're forgetting one thing, Arsenal are Barca's feeder club, not the other way around... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tut tut Laura, you're forgetting one thing, Arsenal are Barca's feeder club, not the other way around... :pac:

Cesc Fabregas :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fabregas & Merida???

jasonorr wrote: »
    Fabregas & Merida???

Arsenal get the youngsters and when they've developed they go off to Barca...

Overmars, Petit, Henry, Hleb...

Wenger's pulling a fast one though!

EDIT: Sylvinho and Van Bronk... however it's spelled!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Arsenal get the youngsters and when they've developed they go off to Barca...

Overmars, Petit, Henry, Hleb...

Wenger's pulling a fast one though!

EDIT: Sylvinho!

You mean past their best???

Fabregas & Merida???

Oh, I wasn't including the swash buckling kiddy loving fingers of Wenger and the EPL's ability to steal away innocent Spanish youths by offering them professional contracts before their Spanish counterparts! :pac::pac::pac:

It's usually the other way around though, even if their players are usually crocked and Wenger raids Barca for what they're worth;

Hleb
    Henry
    Giovanni van Bronckhorst
    Overmars
    Petit

and I'm sure there's many many more I'm forgetting.

You mean past their best???

Yup - hence the "Wenger's pulling a fast one" bit...

It's ok though, if knowing you've pulled as fast one helps with the trophyless seasons then continue, by all means continue! :pac::pac:

It's ok though, if knowing you've pulled as fast one helps with the trophyless seasons then continue, by all means continue! :pac::pac:

Hey, less digs please...we ain't got no monies!!! :(

Hey, less digs please...we ain't got no monies!!! :(

I'm joking, I used love Arsenal and the way Wenger approached everything, now I have a very different opinion but hey, that's for another day, and will probably spout alot of arguments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement