Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good the soccer forum is giving me no end of lols today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm joking, I used love Arsenal and the way Wenger approached everything, now I have a very different opinion but hey, that's for another day, and will probably spout alot of arguments.

I still love the legend that is Wenger, but over the last 5 years we've actually made a profit in the transfer market which is amazing in some respects, but also quite frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

jasonorr wrote: »
    I still love the legend that is Wenger, but over the last 5 years we've actually made a profit in the transfer market which is amazing in some respects, but also quite frustrating!

Well, it may be controversial, but imo, Wenger's decisions are slowly ruining Arsenal's reputation as a team that can and wants to win titles every season. Sure, they TRY to win, no doubt, but you have to HOLD onto current established and experienced players, but they are leaving, and now when big players look at Arsenal's current squad they see a team that has no chance to compete with Manchester, Chelsea, and Liverpool right now and today. That turns good players like Flamini away from the team.

The future is important. But the most important thing in football is reputation. If Arsenal loses the reputation of an organization that can retain top players and challenge for honors every year, it will become impossible to attract big names and thats obviously very dangerous.

Wenger seems to think he is justified in neglecting immediate success in favour of long term potential. And how long do Arsenal fans have to wait to see this success. The best managers know how to combine the two.

It's been 3 seasons since we saw that dream team of Arsenal youths make the Carling Cup final, and it's precisely these players in the 1st team that are the main contributors to dropped points, you need established international 27+ year olds in your team.

People also have been raving about Arsenal and their beautiful game, but the fact is, Arsenal were last at their most effective and ruthless when they got to the CL final, they got their by playing solid and rapid counter-attacking football. Now I'm not saying you can't mix attractive football and a winning mentality, far from it, but it just kind of annoys me when people use Arsenal as the example of a team that wins trophies while playing breath-taking football, it's not true. This is more down to the stupidity of Andy Gray and his group of idiotic minstrels who promote the EPL as NFL Europa: Soccer Edition.

Perhaps it is a time when you Arsenal fans really have to consider whether Wenger is the only man for the job at the Emirates, because as good as he was 5 years ago, I'm really starting to have my doubts of the direction he is taking the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Perhaps it is a time when you Arsenal fans really have to consider whether Wenger is the only man for the job at the Emirates, because as good as he was 5 years ago, I'm really starting to have my doubts of the direction he is taking the team.

This is the only opint I disagree with you on.
    Yes the team has gone into a decline in recent years and we've never replaced the likes of Henry, Vieira, Rarlour, Pires, Ljunberg, Campbell etc.
    However I can't think of anyone else that I would like to see in the dugout at Arsenal.
    I know I'm getting frustrated at the lack of success from Wenger's economical youth policy. But the man obviously has a plan and as Arsenal fan's know:

In Arsene We Trust

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is the only opint I disagree with you on.
    Yes the team has gone into a decline in recent years and we've never replaced the likes of Henry, Vieira, Rarlour, Pires, Ljunberg, Campbell etc.
    However I can't think of anyone else that I would like to see in the dugout at Arsenal.
    I know I'm getting frustrated at the lack of success from Wenger's economical youth policy. But the man obviously has a plan and as Arsenal fan's know:

In Arsene We Trust

But his plan is basically to be successful an indeterminate number of years done the line instead of being successful now.

Like eZe said, the real top managers can mix the two together.

I get your point, most Arsenal supporters make the same point to me everyday, I just wonder if Arsene's current priorities (clearly he is more geared towards saving money and trying to blood youth's) would hold their own at the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool? I don't think they would.

I know, the funding is different at the above clubs right? Well if you are willing to sit by and accept that maybe it's time to sit back accept that you likewise you won't be able to challenge for honours every year, at least not until you are willing to gamble a few million on some established international players that will add to your squad. I can see this slowly happening, and I think it's a real shame, because only 5 seasons ago Arsenal were a team that went unbeaten for a whole season, it truly is a shadow of it's former self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think the brunt of the blame lies with the board and not Wenger, how many times have we heard that Arsenal have a war chest only for them to turn around this season and say well actually things are a bit tight?!

While I agree that we should be building from year to year rather than selling key players and adding young inexperienced ones, maybe it's actually out of necessity rather than Wenger believing his own hype and if this is the case, I honestly don't think there is a better man out there for the job!
    keane2097 wrote: »
    But his plan is basically to be successful an indeterminate number of years done the line instead of being successful now.

Like eZe said, the real top managers can mix the two together.

So Wenger isn't a top manager then? I genuinely feel he's getting a lot of flak because the club don't have any money to spend at the moment!

I agree with Arsene policy about not spending huge amounts of money on players.
    However he then went out and spent 12million on Nasri.

I think if the board even made 15million available to him and he bought a solid, blodded, experienced Defensive Midfielder as foil for Cesc things would start getting alot better alot quicker.
    So what if there cup tied in the Champions League.
    I'd rather buy the right man for the team than someone who is alright and can play CL football.

jasonorr wrote: »
    So Wenger isn't a top manager then? I genuinely feel he's getting a lot of flak because the club don't have any money to spend at the moment!

No I don't think he's a top manager anymore.

He had a team that managed to go unbeaten for an entire season and he's let that slide from those heady heights to the current shambles.

He used to be a great manager, he seems to have lost it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lads surely this belongs in the Arsenal thread as opposed to the thread for discussing possible/current transfers in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

there ya goo

Zenit St Petersburg have told Sky Sports News that talks are taking place with Arsenal regarding a deal for Andrei Arshavin.

Russian schemer Arshavin has been looking to leave the Uefa Cup holders in search of a move to a major European league.

He impressed at Euro 2008 and was linked with Arsenal's North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur, along with Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid after the tournament.

However, in recent weeks, speculation concerning a possible January move to Arsenal has increased after he was given permission to discuss his departure from Zenit.

Reports suggest Zenit are demanding a £20million fee for Arshavin, but the Gunners value the 27-year-old at considerably less.

Zenit, though, have told Sky Sports News that they are confident of agreeing a deal to sell the playmaker to Arsenal this month.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been looking to reinforce his squad after losing captain Cesc Fabregas for several months due to a knee injury.

Wenger has previously been coy on any interest in Arshavin, but admitted over the weekend that he was aiming to sign a player of 'special class'.

He also confirmed that availability for the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League would not be an issue, with Arshavin unable to feature against Roma after appearing in the group stage for Zenit.

i cant believe he's first priority isnt a dm or cb

This is ridiculous.
    I can't believe we're going for Arshavin. He's not gonna stop us leaking goals to lower opposition.

Disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Equally disgusted

SORT THE ****ING DEFENCE OUT FIRST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Signing for the Villa:

From SSN:
    Villa land Dutch starlet

Dutch teenager set for Villa Park

By Peter O'Rourke Last updated: 6th January 2009

Skysports.com can confirm Aston Villa have agreed a deal to sign Dutch starlet Arsenio Halfhuid.

As revealed by skysports.com last month Villa were lining up a move for the Excelsior defender as they looked to beat a host of other clubs to his signature.

Halfuid, who began his education at Feyenoord's youth academy, has impressed at Excelsior and Villa have moved quickly to lure him to Villa Park.

The 17-year-old, who is the cousin of former Chelsea and Southampton defender Ken Monkou, has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Villa and he will join the club's youth team as he is seen as one very much for the future

Agent Dan Fletcher, who brokered the deal on behalf of Villa, admitted Halfhuid is excited at the prospect of continuing his education at Villa.

"Arsenio's thrilled to be at such a great club, it's all happened so quickly for him, but that's the way football is sometimes," Fletcher told skysports.com.

"He's signed a two-and-a-half-year deal at Villa.

"A lot of Dutch clubs are wondering how they've missed Arsenio. Credit to Aston Villa for keeping their interest in him quiet and making their move so quickly.

"His cousin played for Chelsea and Southampton, and will be able to offer him lots of valuable advice about playing in England, and Arsenio's very much hoping that he can emulate him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The once 'great' Denilson is on trial at Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The once 'great' Denilson is on trial at Bolton.

ha yeah i read that,
    the legend of big sam lives on

I hope he is brilliant.

David Villa won't be moving this transfer window, a friend close to him has revealed he will probably leave in 5 months though, more than likely to Madrid/ Barca for a fee of about 45 million euro. This is what Balague revealed yesterday anyway.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1448/manchester-city/2009/01/06/1045489/manchester-city-ready-to-splash-cash-on-tevez
    Manchester City Ready To Splash Cash On Tevez?

There will be many eyes on the activities and transfer dealings of Manchester City this January.

After the late summer takeover of the club by the Abu Dhabi-based business group and the consequent swoop of Robinho for a British record fee of £32.5 million, further flamboyant spending was expected for the winter window.

According to the Daily Star, City (together with Tottenham Hotspur), are chasing Chelsea's flair midfielder Joe Cole.

Cole has long been a Blue who has rarely lasted the full ninety minutes, and has often been regarded by past managers as a footballer suited to the bench. The fact that he has not finished a game he has started since September, is testament to Luis Felipe Scolari's concurrence with this view.

According to the Daily Star Cole has finally grown tired of the affair and wants assurances of his future. Considering Cole's ability, if he were to be put on the market, Manchester City and Tottenham would be unlikely to be the only two clubs interested in securing the player's services.

Elsewhere, the Mirror believe City are going to capitalise on the uncertainty of Argentine international Carlos Tevez's future by granting the player the long-term deal that he craves.

The British tabloid quote him as saying: "If a club comes up with a five-year contract I would have to think about it for myself and the future of my family."

They will, however, have to compete with Real Madrid for his signature.

Joe Cole is not the only player the Daily Star believe City are tracking, as they speculate that the club are about to embark on a Chelsea-like transfer splurge, and have printed rumours linking the club with Shay Given, Kolo Toure, Scott Parker, Craig Bellamy, and Roque Santa Cruz.

The Sun on the other hand state that the Citizens are likelier to move for fewer players, who will fetch higher transfer fees, such as £24 million-rated Yaya Toure.

They also state that midfielder Michael Johnson will be shown the exit door, with West Ham and Everton both alleged to have shown an interest.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

any offers over £4m for kkkris boyd??

13.14 Zenit St Petersburg have told Sky Sports News that they are only talking to Arsenal about the proposed transfer of Andrei Arshavin.

13.06 Ivory Coast international Emmanuel Eboue has revealed that Inter Milan are keen on prising him away from Arsenal.

12.56 Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure is delighted to be attracting interest from England but insists his focus remains on Barcelona. Toure has been linked with January moves to Arsenal and Manchester City.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

poindexter wrote: »
    any offers over £4m for kkkris boyd??
    I'd pay it. Unlike top players in the Dutch league, any 20+ SPL goalscorer tested outside of the SPL have proven themselves. You can't teach what Boyd has. An incredible goalscorer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd pay it. Unlike top players in the Dutch league, any 20+ SPL goalscorer tested outside of the SPL have proven themselves. You can't teach what Boyd has. An incredible goalscorer.

it would seem Birmingham and their Scottish manager would tend to agree with you on that.

17.36 Sky Sports News understands Kris Boyd will undergo a medical at Birmingham City on Thursday, while West Ham midfielder Lee Bowyer is also poised to move to St Andrews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Joe Cole moving would be interesting, surely any other English club apart from maybe Man Utd would be interested?

Scolari clearly doesn't rate him and with only 18 months left on his contract? It is also possible that England's first choice midfield is now Walcott--Lampard--Barry--Gerrard?

He would fit in very well on the left for Arsenal, Tottenham, or on the right for Liverpool

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Joe Cole moving would be interesting, surely any other English club apart from maybe Man Utd would be interested?

Scolari clearly doesn't rate him and with only 18 months left on his contract? It is also possible that England's first choice midfield is now Walcott--Lampard--Barry--Gerrard?

He would fit in very well on the left for Arsenal, Tottenham, or on the right for Liverpool

he's a bit of a prick and he wears his shorts way to high but I reckon the league would be alot closer for liverpool if they could get him in.

mayordenis wrote: »
    he's a bit of a prick and he wears his shorts way to high but I reckon the league would be alot closer for liverpool if they could get him in.
    He does wear his shorts way too high doesn't he?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

He does wear his shorts way too high doesn't he?

It's ****in outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Scolari would be an idiot to get rid of Joe Cole. He's an amazing player who can change the game at any moment. He's a brilliantly effective player and he is a big player for Chelsea.

It'd be madness for him to be sold.

Scolari would be an idiot to get rid of Joe Cole. He's an amazing player who can change the game at any moment. He's a brilliantly effective player and he is a big player for Chelsea.

It'd be madness for him to be sold.
    If he wants to go, with 18 months left on his contract, and next season being a World Cup season then it isn't completely impossible

I agree that he is a very good player, however for Scolari's Chelsea I don't agree that he is a big player, it seems things have just gone a bit stale and a move might be good for him as far as England is concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I'd take Cole at United in a heartbeat. There aren't too many top quality wingers around at the moment and he's one of them.

An Citeog wrote: »
    I'd take Cole at United in a heartbeat. There aren't too many top quality wingers around at the moment and he's one of them.
    Not according to Big Phil though it seems

• Advertisement

what the hell would chelsea do without him?

they would end up playing 4 out of lampard, ballack, mikel, deco and essien in midfield

with no obvious wide players.

A far cry from when Mourinho had to decide between Duff, J.Cole, Wright Phillips and Robben for the flanks.

What Chelsea should be playing at moment is

J Cole, Lampard, Mikel, (A new left midfielder)
    ....Anelka...Drogba

so they should be looking for a left midfielder like possibly Zhirkov or Ben Arfa, so lets hope those rumours or true.

W. Bridge could also have played there, don't know why he's gone.

Not according to Big Phil though it seems

When? When did big Phil say this?,
    sure he subs him off a lot but he still starts him every game.

Im assuming you mean for Joe Cole to be on the left there yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Seems Big Phil doesnt feel that he is that effective though in fairness big Phill has dropped alot of points this season if Grant had lost as many points (which he didnt) he would have been gone
    Seems to me that everyone goes by his reputation that every decision he makes is a good one so if he does decide to leave think that it just gonna benefit the other english clubs as i would rate him as one of the best wingers in the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

would love to see liverpool snap him up if he was available. riera has done well but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

eirebhoy wrote: »
    would you be happy for strachan to shell out £4m+ for him?? i'm surprised that he never buried his one on one with boruc a couple of weeks ago? it would be easy to be narrow minded on this one, and maybe as he does the vast majority of his goals against the so called smaller teams,(of his 20 goals so far, 11 have been agains the bottom two teams, hamilton and ICT) maybe birmingham while in the championship are his level.

not a hope would i like to see my team pay anywhere near that price for him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Would love Joe Cole at Spurs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Lol people rate j.cole as a top winger. Hope we sell him,never liked him. Have to replace him first though.

ARSENAL SIGN MESSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

afcsign.jpg

/gets coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

/gets coat

Omg I hate you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

/gets coat

Pretty sure that cropped up during the summer too, but still a good 'un :p

Wenger managed to get the 388 million off the board and now they have Arshavin and Messi. Hope he does good for you lads, he's been a great servant for us. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

£8 million bid by City for Shay Given
    City also apparently doubling Stephen Ireland's wages.

pwd wrote: »
    £8 million bid by City for Shay Given
    City also apparently doubling Stephen Ireland's wages.

Rubbish. Mark Hughes had a press conference today with Wayne Bridge and specifically said we had put in no bid for Given.

We've also had an initial bid for Santa Cruz rejected and have enquired strongly about Parker and Bellamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Rubbish. Mark Hughes had a press conference today with Wayne Bridge and specifically said we had put in no bid for Given.

He actually said "I dont think theres been an offer for Shay Given".

Thats baffling..surely he would know for definite if there was a bid? Just seemed a very weird choice of words.

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    He actually said "I dont think theres been an offer for Shay Given".

Thats baffling..surely he would know for definite if there was a bid? Just seemed a very weird choice of words.

Yeah, not exactly giving himself a vote of confidence is he!?

It's all smoke and mirrors I feel. He only spoke about stuff that was in the press. No one knows exactly what's going on at the club apart form those directly involved, and I suppose that's probably for the best.

It's all smoke and mirrors I feel. He only spoke about stuff that was in the press. No one knows exactly what's going on at the club apart form those directly involved, and I suppose that's probably for the best.

D'you think they will be for Given?

keane2097 wrote: »
    D'you think they will be for Given?

I haven't a clue who we will be in for tbh! Every day it's a new name and a new link and it's getting a bit irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why would City bid for Given when they seemingly rate Hart so highly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement