Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why would City bid for Given when they Xavi6 seemingly rate Hart so highly?

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    fyp

:rolleyes: Yes of course, it's just me.

Certainly not Fabio Capello who has had him in the England squad.

Or the England under 21 management group who have him as their first choice.

Or Sven Goran Eriksson who felt he was good enough to play first team at 20 ahead of Sweden's number 1 goalkeeper who had previously replaced Petr Cech at Rennes.

Yep just me that rates him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

why would City bid for Given when they seemingly rate Hart so highly?

We'll take Hart off their hands if they want Given....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

true enough :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: rant

lol

and I'm in a bad mood?

:D

I'm in a great mood. You're just trying to bring the rest of us to your level :pac:

11.25 David Trezeguet's agent claims Manchester City have expressed an interest in the Juventus striker, although Mark Hughes has played down the link.
    That would be a good move imo.

imo Trezeguet is another stocking of ****e

Do you know anything about football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's one of the most consistent goal scorers around. 20 goals last season without taking penalties or free kicks. He would have walked into any Liverpool team of the past 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well that settles it - you're on drugs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

What actually happened Trezeguet this season? Is he injured? I remember him being quite impressive at the Emirates cup and haven't heard from him since. Surely Amauri hasn't been so good that he has kept Trez from making a single competitive appearance this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No he has been injured but is about to come back to full fitness

But when he does get back he might find it hard to get a place in the team due to the form of Amauri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

As good as Amauri is, Trezeguet is a guaranteed goal scorer, I can't see him not making appearances for Juve.

:D i understand he always scores goals, my comment was half tongue in cheek. he is one of those players that never impresses when i watch though but always has great stats at the end of the season.

cool the jets lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

:D i understand he always scores goals, my comment was half tongue in cheek. he is one of those players that never impresses when i watch though but always has great stats at the end of the season.

ha clearly back-tracking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think he's pretty average too, as it Totti

And i know i know they have great records i know

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Trilla wrote: »

I'd agree that while Trez's records have always been excellent I've mostly been underwhelmed when watching him.

But Totti is another kettle of ballparks altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Trezeguet is 31.
    Would be a weird signing if it was alot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Trilla wrote: »

You're just wrong. Totti is starting to get worse now but he was excellent for years and carried Roma to a title and champion's League places for a while. Trez is one of those players like Beirhoff who always looks unimpressive until he scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He's just one of those Italian league strikers - does nothing until the ball is at his feet in the box. Look at the likes of Gilardino, Inzaghi, Rocchi, Lucarelli in the last few years and you see what type of strikers thrive over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Always remember Trezeguet for that rocket he scored against United when he was with Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Smegball wrote: »
    Always remember Trezeguet for that rocket he scored against United when he was with Monaco.

I remember at that time they had a nice little team. Trezeguet and Henry, Sagnol at the back, Barthez (he was decent at one point!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

poindexter wrote: »
    would you be happy for strachan to shell out £4m+ for him?? i'm surprised that he never buried his one on one with boruc a couple of weeks ago? it would be easy to be narrow minded on this one, and maybe as he does the vast majority of his goals against the so called smaller teams,(of his 20 goals so far, 11 have been agains the bottom two teams, hamilton and ICT) maybe birmingham while in the championship are his level.

not a hope would i like to see my team pay anywhere near that price for him though
    I would certainly pay £4m for Boyd. He had a good chance saved against Boruc. Gerrard missed a similar one against Given last week.

He's an outstanding finisher and the other players to score 20+ SPL goals proved themselves top scorers at a higher level (Larsson, Hartson, van Hooijdonk, Viduka, Cadete and Negri). It's a tough league to score in. As I said, certainly tougher than Holland where Vennegoor was a regular amongst the top scorers. Arveladzer was top scorer in Holland when he left Rangers, ahead of Kuyt, Farfan and Huntelaar.

The reason I keep mentioning Holland is because if a player had Boyd's goalscoring record in Holland he'd be worth an 8 figure sum. Fair enough, Boyd doesn't offer much more other than goals but the same went for van Nistelrooy at United.

ha clearly back-tracking there.

not at all.

i am very familiar with his goalscoring records, he was linked with us on numerous occassions so i checked em out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you are any sort of football fan, you would want to have lived quite the secluded life to not be aware of Trezequet's goal scoring record..

Despite his record, I also don't rate him particularly highly either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Best finisher in Europe imo. Doesn't offer much other than goals but it's always nice for a midfielder to have someone to set up at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

so defoe has moved to spurs..no surprise there of course. just wondering do people think he will be a success there.

quick question, if 'arry got a job at a top four side do you think he would bring jermaine along for the ride there...and you guys know what i mean when i say top four, so dont be pedantic.

michael owen is the only example i can think of a player who has played for a top 4 team and kept up a similar strike rate for a weaker side....of course lots of players have done it the other way round..think if defoe came to the pool instead of keane i wouldnt have been too dissappointed, maybe we missed an opportunity there, he would have been much cheaper too...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/11/manchester-city-to-hijack-arsenal-deal-for-andrei-arshavin-115875-21032771/
    Manchester City to hijack Arsenal deal for Andrei Arshavin

Manchester City are closing in on Andrei Arshavin after agreeing an £18million deal with Zenit St Petersburg.

The 27-year-old striker flew into London last week amid speculation he was poised to join Arsenal.

But City have stormed into pole position and Arshavin isoncourse to boost manager Mark Hughes’s strike options at the struggling club.

Dennis Lachter, Arshavin’s agent, has claimed a move to the Emirates was unlikely because of Zenit’s massive financial demands.

Arsenal’s valuation of the player was closer to £15m - and there was also an issue about the wages that Arshavin wants to seal a move to England.

He sees himself in the £85,000-a-week bracket and at Arsenal only Cesc Fabregas earns anything like that.

Manager Arsene Wenger refuses to undermine the salary structure within the squad and that has opened the way for City’s move.

City officials, backed by the wealth of owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, met Arshavin and have agreed to meet his club’s demands of full payment up front to clinch the deal.

Arshavin had been linked with a host of club’s following his impressive form for Russian during Euro 2008.

But the vast majority of them baulked at the asking price that initially stood at £24m.

Arshavin’s agent claimed the player’s departure was inevitable once the transfer window opened for business in January.

“That is what is going to happen,” he said. “There are 10, 15, 20 teams who are interested in him. The question is, can they afford him?”

City can and, following the arrival of Wayne Bridge for £13.5 million from Chelsea last week, Arshavin looks likely to follow him into Eastlands this week.

Not a necessary signing if true as there are more important positions that need sorting out.

Elano mark II. Meh

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/11/manchester-city-to-hijack-arsenal-deal-for-andrei-arshavin-115875-21032771/

Not a necessary signing if true as there are more important positions that need sorting out.

Elano mark II. Meh

meh maybe, but I'm sure you agree yourself that if you had a fit, happy, firing on all cylinders Elano then you would be happy? And with Elano so clearly out of the picture a replacement with far better temperment and work ethic is nothing to be scoffed at.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    meh maybe, but I'm sure you agree yourself that if you had a fit, happy, firing on all cylinders Elano then you would be happy? And with Elano so clearly out of the picture a replacement with far better temperment and work ethic is nothing to be scoffed at.

Can that be guaranteed though? I would be sceptical given the constant stories about Arshavin and his behaviour at Zenit, i.e strike threats, wanting more money, wanting to leave etc.

Hardly good for an oul character reference.

Can that be guaranteed though? I would be sceptical given the constant stories about Arshavin and his behaviour at Zenit, i.e strike threats, wanting more money, wanting to leave etc.

Hardly good for an oul character reference.

No it can't be guaranteed, but I think the baggage that was attached to Elano throughout his career was always more of hinderence to his clubs, and while Arshavin sometimes acts a little selfish off the pitch he still mostly does the talking on the pitch.

At least he won't be wanting for money at city anyway :pac:

Yeah I'm sure the wages will shut him up for a few months anyway.

The main problem I have, even more so than a player being a mercenary, is the settling in period that players go through when they hit the Premiership. We can't afford to wait three months for him to get used to the pace of the game, the heavier tackling etc, and that's why I can see the reasoning behind getting the likes of Parker in.

(Yes I realise that sounds like I would rather Parker over Arshavin, but there's method to that madness for now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

west ham have turned down an improve bid by city for Bellamy

ssn

“There are 10, 15, 20 teams who are interested in him. The question is, can they afford him?”

It's stuff like this that annoys me.
    As according to Arshavin's agent last week Arsenal were the only team interested.
    However I couldn't care less if Citeh get him, might get Arsene to buy a decent Defensive Midfielder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well Arshavin would be a far better choice than Bellamy to partner RSC up front should they sign him imo. They could cost around the same from stories going round and although Arshavin has a bad rep(although a lot of it seems to be his agent) he surely cant be as big a tool as Bellamy! and along with Robinho could form a great AM link from RSC upfront and S.Ireland and co in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's stuff like this that annoys me.
    As according to Arshavin's agent last week Arsenal were the only team interested.

His agent would say mass. Complete mouthpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

His agent would say mass. Complete mouthpiece.

Could explain why he's trying to molest Arsenal :o

*I'll get my coat!!

17.13 Sources close to Sporting Lisbon have told skysports.com that midfielder Miguel Veloso, who has been linked with Manchester City and Arsenal, will not be leaving the club in the January transfer window.

17.56 Sporting Lisbon have no intention of selling Miguel Veloso during the January transfer window.

:(:(:(

Beattie to Stoke

He'll do a good job there I think.

• Advertisement

Benjani heading back to Pompey apparently.

With Defoe back at Spurs it's like the last year never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just got this one Xavi, I hear we might be hearing of an accepted offer for RSC tomorrow with Caicedo coming our way till the end of the season on loan.

Really? That's very interesting.

Is it from a good source? We were hearing that you wanted Sturridge.

Pretty good I'd say, not my usual Ewood man but a good man nonetheless. Yeah I would have hoped for someone a better option but why it wouldn't have come out today is the question I have, maybe there is more to it as well. We badly need somebody for the right side of midfield and I'd have thought with all the talent you guys have for that side of the pitch that it would have been a more sensible option than a striker.

Although I have to admit I know very little about the man that we are supposedely getting.

I can only guess that the reason it hasn't come out is because it's true. I tend to find that the stuff that is actually happening only gets made public at the very last minute.

With regard to Caicedo, it's safe to say we were not impressed by him last season. He is young though, and has scored a few this season. Also looks really good for his country and is young. I guess it could be a good move for both him and Blackburn as a short term thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

eagle eye wrote: »
    Pretty good I'd say, not my usual Ewood man but a good man nonetheless. Yeah I would have hoped for someone a better option but why it wouldn't have come out today is the question I have, maybe there is more to it as well. We badly need somebody for the right side of midfield and I'd have thought with all the talent you guys have for that side of the pitch that it would have been a more sensible option than a striker.

Although I have to admit I know very little about the man that we are supposedely getting.

Think of him as the new Agustín Delgado

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/79660/City-launch-sensational-Kaka-swoop
    CITY LAUNCH SENSATIONAL KAKA SWOOP

Tuesday January 13,2009

MANCHESTER CITY have sent a high-powered delegation to Milan to try to secure a stunning deal for Brazilian superstar Kaka.

Chief executive Gary Cook and chief operating officer Paul Aldridge have been dispatched to Italy to open negotiations with AC Milan over what would be a world-record swoop for the attacking midfielder.

It is understood City are prepared to wait until the summer to land Kaka if they can get Milan to part with him, but want to do business now.

City’s money-flushed Abu Dhabi owners are determined to land a showpiece signing. So far they have recruited only Wayne Bridge from Chelsea in the transfer window.

Kaka could command wages of about £200,000 a week at Eastlands – making him the highest-paid player on the planet – and close friend Robinho is trying to persuade him to join City.

Another day, another pile of shite.

lmfao, so what player valued at over 25m has not been linked with Man City at this stage. Wayne Rooney is the only one I can think of.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Frisbee wrote: »
    Beattie to Stoke

He'll do a good job there I think.

Hopefully he'll be doing a job for them in the Championship.

• Advertisement

Benjani heading back to Pompey apparently.

With Defoe back at Spurs it's like the last year never happened.

It's like a 90's american soap where they right off the whole last series as a "bad dream"

Advertisement