Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams for President?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

Time for procrastination, in the course of my studying of the Irish Presidency (otherwise known as "101 on how to rot your shite") one of the reforms proposed was that the nomination process require only 10 Members of the houses of the Oireachtas to go forward (rather than the current 20).

This is seemingly a reason why Sinn Fein haven't been able to nominate Gerry Adams despite attempting to (afaik). Bringing the nomination process down to 10 members would put this right in sights of SF, who currently have 4 TDs but in the current political maelstorm could possibly tip the 10 come 2012. Wich would allow them to nominate Adams for President of Ireland.

Now this is all hypothethicals and is extremely unlikely to occur given the fact I don't think the Irish people would vote for a Sinn Fein leader even if he was nominated.

Still though, its a very intriguing possibility.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

cson wrote: »
    Time for procrastination, in the course of my studying of the Irish Presidency (otherwise known as "101 on how to rot your shite") one of the reforms proposed was that the nomination process require only 10 Members of the houses of the Oireachtas to go forward (rather than the current 20).

This is seemingly a reason why Sinn Fein haven't been able to nominate Gerry Adams despite attempting to (afaik). Bringing the nomination process down to 10 members would put this right in sights of SF, who currently have 4 TDs but in the current political maelstorm could possibly tip the 10 come 2012. Wich would allow them to nominate Adams for President of Ireland.

Now this is all hypothethicals and is extremely unlikely to occur given the fact I don't think the Irish people would vote for a Sinn Fein leader even if he was nominated.

Still though, its a very intriguing possibility.

scrap the presidency entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

If I had a gun, I'd shoot you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Tiocfaidh ár lá

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

irish_bob wrote: »
    scrap the presidency entirely

I take your point but I wouldn't be for that, however I'd love to see a cost-benefit anaylsis of the position. However scrapping it will never happen, due in the main to the need for a "Head of State" figure along with the history associated with the postion and thats not even to mention the fact that it is the foundation for 2 articles of the constitution. Also, I don't believe the Irish people would ever vote to scrap it if it did go to referendum.
    Cpaw wrote: »

Excellent input.

If the reforms suggested by the All Party Oireachtas Committee Report on the President were followed its quite credible that Gerry Adams could be nominated to run for President. Now again I don't think he'd be elected in a million years but he still could run for the post.

Basically the point I'm making, and what struck me while I was sifting through all the ****e, is how easy in theory it could be for someone like Adams to run for President.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Seriously, is this the Politics forum or After Hours?

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

sink wrote: »
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

A valuable valuable contribution. Were you sporting a 'Sniper at Work' t-shirt while typing that post?

I don't believe Adams will ever be elected President. His past as part of the IRA would put most people off voting for him for that position I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Paisley has a better chance of getting into the park than Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

cson wrote: »
    Seriously, is this the Politics forum or After Hours?

Grow up.

It was an answer to a direct question. "How can you propose appointing a former IRA terrorist as an international ambassador and supreme commander of the Defence Forces?" My point being that the political significance of electing a former terrorist to head of state is of minor consideration to those who are still campaigning for a united Ireland. Tiocfaidh ár lá (Our day will come).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Over my dead body.

Wait...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd like to see him run for President, if he did I'd imagine he'd give the main parties and Dana a run for their money. I can't see anyone in Fianna Fail/ Fine Gael with such a high profile. Unless Bertie runs of course.

On the IRA slander that people are throwing, it is true he led the IRA for many years but he along with Charlie Haughey are the two people who deserve the most credit for the peace process. So credit where credit is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Cpaw wrote: »

Is that you Gerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Frankie Lee, are you honestly saying that the terrorist should be praised and rewarded for no longer killing people, as the man who convinces him to stop?

Really?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If I didn't know it was 2008, I'd swear you were referring to Eamon De Valera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have any of the many allegations against Gerry Adams ever been proved in a court of law? If not they are unfounded and probably slanderous. IMHO most of these accusations are made by Pseudo-Republican Fiann Failures who fear meeting real Republicans at the polls.

Anyway our current President was born in Belfast so a precendent of including our seperated brethern has already been set, who knows where it will lead. We could end up with a Unionist President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hagar wrote: »
    Have any of the many allegations against Gerry Adams ever been proved in a court of law?

The relevant "allegation" in this thread was....
    On the IRA slander that people are throwing, it is true he led the IRA for many years

I don't know if that's true (and even his own story has varied depending on whether or not it suits him to be a member) but if he WAS a member (or worse still, a leading figure) of an illegal terrorist/criminal organisation, then that should rule him out.

Plus he'd have a MAJOR source of confusion - isn't the President the head of OUR "Oglaigh na hEireann" ?

Having said all that, plus the fact that I'd probably emigrate if we were ever to be "represented" by someone who always claimed to represent us even when we hated his actions, I have to say that - on "mature recollection" - Fianna Fail have proposed shady characters for lots of things over the years, and succeeded in getting them elected.

So a dodgy scumbag being elected would be nothing new. True, being fairly directly involved in killings and/or sectarianism, and visiting criminal scum and murderers in jail would be a new level, but nothing would surprise me when it comes to the electorate in this country.....nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Have any of the many allegations against Gerry Adams ever been proved in a court of law? If not they are unfounded and probably slanderous. IMHO most of these accusations are made by Pseudo-Republican Fiann Failures who fear meeting real Republicans at the polls.

Anyway our current President was born in Belfast so a precendent of including our seperated brethern has already been set, who knows where it will lead. We could end up with a Unionist President.

So you have to take someone to court just prove they were a terrorist? By the way, I struggle to see how Gerry Adams is even close to a "Real Republican".

If Gerry Adams was to ever become President and in turn Supreme Commander of The Defence Forces, I would very much be thinking twice about staying in my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I love that the question is never "Was Gerry Adams in the IRA?".

It's only ever "Was it proven that Gerry Adams was in the IRA?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If Gerry Adams was President what guard of honour would he like? 2 rows of paramilitaries, dark glasses optional but balaclavas obligatory.

I love that the question is never "Was Gerry Adams in the IRA?".

Please define "never". I said as much just 2 posts ago.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't know if that's true

I view him as scum ever since he got photos taken with, and campaigned for the release of, murderers, but if you read my post I've given him the benefit of the doubt on actual "membership" of that illegal organisation. I'd ask the question directly, but like I said, even the man himself seems to vary his answer.

Some might say that's naieve, but, as I said, there's plenty of facts and reasons to not want him representing us even without the actual membership.

And we've almost forgotten the obvious; he's never run, been voted for, or campaigned for election in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Report posts if you have problems with them.

Comments in thread will lead to infractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So if a person doesn't resort to legal action to protect his good name then he must be guilty of the accusation? What legal system are you working under?
    I don't know if that's true (and even his own story has varied depending on whether or not it suits him to be a member) but if he WAS a member (or worse still, a leading figure) of an illegal terrorist/criminal organisation, then that should rule him out.
    Most of the early politicians who ran this country following it's foundation were members of the self-same illegal organisations.
    Plus he'd have a MAJOR source of confusion - isn't the President the head of OUR "Oglaigh na hEireann" ?
    "Our" Oglaigh na hÉireann is a direct decendant, albeit a split, from "their" original Oglaigh na hEireann. If memory serves me "their" OnE won the freedom for us that we enjoy today.
    Having said all that, plus the fact that I'd probably emigrate if we were ever to be "represented" by someone who always claimed to represent us even when we hated his actions, I have to say that - on "mature recollection" - Fianna Fail have proposed shady characters for lots of things over the years, and succeeded in getting them elected.
    Never a truer word written.

So a dodgy scumbag being elected would be nothing new. True, being fairly directly involved in killings and/or sectarianism, and visiting criminal scum and murderers in jail would be a new level, but nothing would surprise me when it comes to the electorate in this country.....nothing!
    Criminals is it? Have we all forgotten the Tribunals and who was involved in them? How many of them involved SF?
    Poccington wrote: »
    So you have to take someone to court just prove they were a terrorist?
    Not a question of GA proving he wasn't a terrorist. Under Irish libel laws you have to prove he was.
    By the way, I struggle to see how Gerry Adams is even close to a "Real Republican".
    Why?
    If Gerry Adams was to ever become President and in turn Supreme Commander of The Defence Forces, I would very much be thinking twice about staying in my job.
    In this economic climate I would not advise anyone to give up a State job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The same way we appointed a former IRA "terrorist" Minister for Foriegn and let him trot off to the UN the odd time, where he became one our most influential politicians abroad?

The same way we elected a fair few to the dail as FF tds?

Criminals is it? Have we all forgotten the Tribunals and who was involved in them? How many of them involved SF?

No argument here. But if you read my post you would see that I'd said that Adams would take things to a whole new level.

Tribunals deal with corruption and white-collar crime.

Courts deal with bank robberies and murder.

Saying that there've been no links to tribunals from SF is spin in the extreme; if Bertie or Ray Burke or Charlie Haughey or Liam Lawlor or whoever had been quizzed over murder, Gerry would have been in there getting his photo taken and campaigning for their release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Frankie Lee, are you honestly saying that the terrorist should be praised and rewarded for no longer killing people, as the man who convinces him to stop?
    Really?
    Really?

And sure why not. Nobody blinks at eye at Nelson Mandela, yet I remember when he and the ANC were listed as terrorists by the Yanks. And I'm only 39.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement