Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Mido, he's got a bomb,"

• 03-12-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

What the hell is this all about ? A bit of banter is ok but this is gonna start something I fear. The religion thing is a big no no in my opinion. The way the climate is in the UK at the moment as regards muslims this is gonna raise tensions if not acted upon and stamped out. The last thing we need is some fanatic bringing a bloody suicide bomb into a match.

03/12/2008 16:30
    English FA Support Racist Islamic Hatred - Mido

Mido has blasted the Football Association, accusing them of condoning hatred towards Islam...

177_thumb.jpggalleria zoom
    "Mido, he's got a bomb," chanted some Newcastle United supporters at the Riverside during the Tees-Tyne derby at the weekend.

It wasn't the first time the Toon Army had targeted Middlesbrough's Egyptian forward, either; the same chant was heard last year and the FA failed to take any action against the Magpies.

Now, hurt Mido insists that racism will continue in the English game unless the FA take a stand and start protecting players.

Livid Mido is quoted as saying by egyptianplayers.com: "They kept chanting disgusting words - racist words about Islam - and, unfortunately, this is the second time that the same fans have done this.

"It happened again because, after the first time, the English FA did nothing. I considered this as an invitation from the English FA to the Newcastle supporters to repeat such shameful acts.

Abandoning hope, the player continued: "I can assure you that nothing is going to happen this time again. The English FA said that they will be investigating the issue and will make use of the latest technology to stop such racist abuse of players, but I feel that nothing will happen.

"I am asking the English FA to take serious action to stop such things. These chants are not directed at me as a person but it is directed at Islam."

Mido has been linked with a January switch to Wigan Athletic, but may feel the need to go further afield if the FA don't punish United.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Somebody may have to point out to Mido that - while the chants are in bad taste - the football authorities of a secular country are under no particular obligation to prioritize his complaints on the basis of them causing religious offense.

And it's not just the fans that are making it an issue. He is. As is the media.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pure disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tough one-arguably worse in a Old Firm or Merseyside Derby but the players just get on with it.

I'm not convinced completely ignoring it is the way to go.

Banter and vile, personal abuse are different things.

stovelid wrote: »
    Somebody may have to point out to Mido that - while the chants are in bad taste - the football authorities of a secular country are under no particular obligation to prioritize his complaints on the basis of them causing religious offense.

And it's not just the fans that are making it an issue. He is. As is the media.

what?
    it's not just religious offense, it's plain racism.

and he's dead right to take this to the media and get as much pressure on the FA and on the pricks who act like that.

No place in football. none. not even a little. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Pretty shameful reading that. Wouldn't surprise me, but that's absolutely horrible.

Given the complaints made in England about racism directed to their players it's a real shame.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    what?
    it's not just religious offense, it's plain racism.

and he's dead right to take this to the media and get as much pressure on the FA and on the pricks who act like that.

No place in football. none. not even a little. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Not saying it's right. It's pretty tasteless. But like somebody said, you hear worse at some derbies. The F.A are not going to prioritize it on Mido's say-so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm not saying these chants are acceptable, but things are being blown out of proportion.

The reason why Mido receives those chants has nothing to do with his religion, or even his race. It's simply because he looks like Richard Reid, the British shoe bomber.

RichardReid_374x450.jpg

Now, like I said, I am not saying that such chants are right or wrong, but many players receive chants based on who they look like. IMO, this is no worse than all those fans who chanted 'You're just a fat Eddie Murphy' at Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, or all the Pics of Rooney made to look like Shrek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

There's no place for this in football, but theres sweet FA the... FA can do about it. The more attention these 'fans' chanting it get, the more they will do it

Even light hearted ones sometimes don't go down well... Vidic wasn't happy about the 'he's from Serbia. he'll f***ing murder ya' line in his chant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

'up north' casual racism against Asians is a fact of life, no surprise they abuse Mido. Whover is singing that nonsense deserves whatever they get, but tis a symptom of deeper problems.

'up north' casual racism against Asians is a fact of life, no surprise they abuse Mido. Whover is singing that nonsense deserves whatever they get, but tis a symptom of deeper problems.

Sweeping generalizations are your forte?

• Advertisement

Sweeping generalizations are your forte?

Not really, direct experiences mainly, but seeing as your public defender no.1 of Joey 'cant do no wrong' Barton i would cast dispersions on your ability to identify racism?. after all apparently just because Mido 'looks like' Richard Reid its ok to to sing he's got a bomb?

Oh BTW mido looks like this

mido.jpg

Wow hes the spitting image of reid alright:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Once again the FA are made to look like a bunch of muppets. Those Magpie scumbags who were chanting those sick remarks should be banned from ever attending a football match again at the very least.

To go off topic a bit I don't know if any of you heard that a 75yo man was set upon by a bunch of Geordie fans after the match in front of his grandchildren. These 2 combined are the reasons why football is given such a bad name at times.

Not really, direct experiences mainly, but seeing as your public defender no.1 of Joey 'cant do no wrong' Barton i would cast dispersions on your ability to identify racism?. after all apparently just because Mido 'looks like' Richard Reid its ok to to sing he's got a bomb?

Oh BTW mido looks like this

mido.jpg

Wow hes the spitting image of reid alright:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ROFL

Joey Barton has nothing to do with this, but if you do want to bring him up, at least get it right. I have always condemned Barton's actions, and said that I fully understood people's revulsion at him being kept at my club. My only defence of him has come against the witchunt, the tabloid media has waged, in scrutinizing every single sec of his life, and concocting libelous stories.

But getting back to your original post, basically you think all Northern English folk are racisits? :rolleyes: I'm sure there is someone equally ignorant sitting in England right now who believes all Irish people are IRA loving terrorists.

FFS, I didn't say that the chants we're acceptable, just that they weren't based on racism, and any claims that they are, are tabloid fodder. Since when have football fans been PC with their chants. Yes, Mido and Reid aren't identical twins, but it's clear to see what gag is.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Once again the FA are made to look like a bunch of muppets. Those Magpie scumbags who were chanting those sick remarks should be banned from ever attending a football match again at the very least.

The Daily Mail must love you.

If you say that at the very least they should be banned from football for life, what do you propose should actually happen to them. I assume you are referring to some sort of criminal sentence? Ever hear of freedom of speech.
    glenjamin wrote: »
    To go off topic a bit I don't know if any of you heard that a 75yo man was set upon by a bunch of Geordie fans after the match in front of his grandchildren. These 2 combined are the reasons why football is given such a bad name at times.

Source please?

And you do realise that every set of fans has a few bad apples. FFS, is there a reason you love laying into Geordies?

But getting back to your original post, basically you think all Northern English folk are racisits? :rolleyes: I'm sure there is someone equally ignorant sitting in England right now who believes all Irish people are IRA loving terrorists.

FFS, I didn't say that the chants we're acceptable, just that they weren't based on racism, and any claims that they are, are tabloid fodder. Since when have football fans been PC with their chants. Yes, Mido and Reid aren't identical twins, but it's clear to see what gag is.

Did i say all people up north are racists? no i did not. What i said is there is casual racism against British Asians, predominantly by white working class types throughout the UK but specially up north (BNP are pretty big in the N/E by way of reference point). Are they in the majority? of course not, but if you want to deny there is no racism up north then by my guest.

As for the chants being directed at Mido because he looks like Richard Reid, wtf? why would anyone make such a spurious connection other then based on race? Richard Reid(FROM LONDON) is a household name in the N/E is he? the only connection between the two is Midos ethnicity/religion. Its a racist chant simple as, theres non PC and then there's blatant prejudice, but i'm sure you'll think differently Mr. McHugh?.

Did i say all people up north are racists? no i did not. What i said is there is casual racism against British Asians, predominantly by white working class types throughout the UK but specially up north (BNP are pretty big in the N/E by way of reference point). Are they in the majority? of course not, but if you want to deny there is no racism up north then by my guest.

As for the chants being directed at Mido because he looks like Richard Reid, wtf? why would anyone make such a spurious connection other then based on race? Richard Reid(FROM LONDON) is a household name in the N/E is he? the only connection between the two is Midos ethnicity/religion. Its a racist chant simple as, theres non PC and then there's blatant prejudice, but i'm sure you'll think differently Mr. McHugh?.

TBH, I don't want to go down this road, in a soccer forum.

Safe to say, I disagree with the way you have painted things. But we are all entitled to our own interpretations and opinions.

I'll leave my contribution to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Did i say all people up north are racists? no i did not. What i said is there is casual racism against British Asians, predominantly by white working class types throughout the UK but specially up north (BNP are pretty big in the N/E by way of reference point).

Actually BNP vote went down in May elections including the N/E. Again I think you are Generalising a bit, would be very easy to say that their is casual racism throughout Ireland based on a few experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The Daily Mail must love you.

If you say that at the very least they should be banned from football for life, what do you propose should actually happen to them. I assume you are referring to some sort of criminal sentence? Ever hear of freedom of speech.

So are you saying that the fans who chanted those remarks should be allowed to because they have the right to free speech?

Source please?

And you do realise that every set of fans has a few bad apples. FFS, is there a reason you love laying into Geordies?

Middlesbrough Gazette. The thread is about Newcastle, not for the first time, making Anti Islamic remarks about Mido. If it was Fulham or Villa or any other team I'd be saying the exact same things. I'm not condemning all Newcastle fans, just those who made the remarks.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Actually BNP vote went down in May elections including the N/E. Again I think you are Generalising a bit, would be very easy to say that their is casual racism throughout Ireland based on a few experiences.

BNP vote went down as there was a large split in the organisation as well as media infiltrations etc., the splinter group in particular being concentrated in the N/E. But the British Far Right hasn't gone away you know!.

And there is casual racism in Ireland! lots of it! 'Poles'/'Nigerians'/'Travellers' all get a fierce doing from many a respectable Irishman. Again im not suggesting the opinion is in the majority but there is definitey an element of prejudice (specially amongst taxi drivers!)

The FA, Everyone from the the North of any country, everyone in this thread and especially Mido are complete racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

mayordenis wrote: »
    The FA, Everyone from the the North of any country, everyone in this thread and especially Mido are complete racists.

What about Reid? I'm confused.

Can someone post the full lyrics and the tune that they were singing it to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

but may feel the need to go further afield if the FA don't punish United.

to where? Italy? Spain? no racism in sport there... ohhhh no :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It is a sad fact that there is alot of racism still in football, and this is in my opinion just another example of it. The Spanish are particularly bad, but I think it's a little naive to see this as not a racist chant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm sure there is someone equally ignorant sitting in England right now who believes all Irish people are IRA loving terrorists.

Interesting you mention the IRA tbh. Sinn Feinn used to issue statements strikingly similar in tone to your second paragraph above in the aftermath of IRA bombs. 'I do not condone, but will not condemn'.

imo:

campaignart(kickitoutlogo).jpg

Just because you are at a football game is never an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm struggling to see the racism in this. He's of middle eastern origin and opposing fans are winding him up about carrying a bomb...that it?

It's not like they're chanting about Allah or Islam ffs.

There's a few chants going around about Liverpool fans 'scouse rob your house' or something, does that imply some kind of ethnic cleansing t'ward our moustache laden brethren?

Total overreaction, perpetuated (unsurprisingly) by the player himself who has a bit of a reputation for being a wanker difficult character.

Anyone know what the tune was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and thats why hes the best poster! bam! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

There's not racist or anti-Islamic or whatever about it. He looks like the shoe-bomber, that's it. Newcastle fans voted Habib Beye, wait for it..... a Muslim (!), as their player of the year last season.

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    There's not racist or anti-Islamic or whatever about it. He looks like the shoe-bomber, that's it. Newcastle fans voted Habib Beye, wait for it..... a Muslim (!), as their player of the year last season.

?

Richard 'the bomber' Reid

richard_reid_1.jpg
    amd_reid1.jpg

Mido:

077mido_468x595.jpgmido_300x300.jpg
    mido30_468x555.jpg

Make your own mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

roryc wrote: »
    Even light hearted ones sometimes don't go down well... Vidic wasn't happy about the 'he's from Serbia. he'll f***ing murder ya' line in his chant

anyone got this month's FourFourTwo?

in it is the one hundred best players of the year.

Vidic is in it, and the opening line of the paragraph is something like "Alex Ferguson laughed out loud when he heard the chant 'he comes from Serbia. he'll f***ing murder ya' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To be honest, I'd laugh this off if I were him. Big deal, he's getting stick but I fail to see just how it's an insult to the muslim faith.

Thats like saying that if an Irish player during the 70's or 80's got the same thing shouted at them then they'd say it's an insult to Catholicism? Err. No.

Now if they were singing 'Allah, Allah, Mido's got a bomb' or along those lines, then I think then most definitely it's out of order and an insult to his beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

redout wrote: »
    03/12/2008 16:30
    English FA Support Racist Islamic Hatred - Mido

Mido has blasted the Football Association, accusing them of condoning hatred towards Islam...

Such a poor choice of words... :p

Can I just ask, how do these chants come about? Are these pre arranged somewhere? Or does one person start singing it then 50,000 join in? Bizzare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

[Jackass] wrote: »

PMSL great spot

Can I just ask, how do these chants come about? Are these pre arranged somewhere? Or does one person start singing it then 50,000 join in? Bizzare

Spoken like a true bar-stooler.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Do you go to ANY live football?

Anyway.

Sometimes someone in the crowd might just say something funny, or maybe not so funny, it'll be picked up by the lads around him, usually his mates, and this usually happens in the main singing section (the kop, the stretford end, the jodi, etc etc). It may just catch on at one game, spreading through the crowd, until everyone in the crowd picks up the words, then it becomes a chant.

Jesus, some of the funniest moments at football are when a new chant is "invented".
    podge018 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true bar-stooler.

You can't say bar-stooler anymore, it offends the sensibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Feckin hell relax the cacks!! I go to the odd LOI game but that's it! (only a couple of times a season). Never flown to Engerland for a game cause while I follow the league I don't feel connected to anyone team enough to splash the cash on them to support them. Never understood non-local support - picking a random team or your mates team and being die hard about them - but that's a whhhoooolllle other issue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So Mido was so devestated he went to egyptianplayers.com to tell them all about it.

Racist abuse/chants in a football ground are a criminal offence in england, why did he not go to the Police if he felt that strongly?

Des wrote: »
    anyone got this month's FourFourTwo?

in it is the one hundred best players of the year.

Vidic is in it, and the opening line of the paragraph is something like "Alex Ferguson laughed out loud when he heard the chant 'he comes from Serbia. he'll f***ing murder ya' "

Made me laugh as myself and mates have always jokingly referred to him as The War Criminal. Not that we'd chant it at a match or anything, though.

I find, most chants these days are made up in the pub post-match or the odd time on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

It's clearly racist as far as I'm concerned.

By the way it's not just Newcastle fans. When Mido was at Spurs he got abuse from West Ham fans too. As far as I remember the chants were saying his mother was a shoe bomber there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Looks like the FA are going to look into it.

FA vow to take action over Mido abuse

Thursday, 4 December 2008 16:06

The Football Association have vowed to 'take the strongest possible action' against anyone found guilty of Islamophobic or racist chanting against Middlesbrough striker Mido.

The Egyptian striker was targeted by Newcastle fans as he warmed up in the Tees-Tyne derby at the Riverside Stadium last weekend, and has called on the game's governing body to take stern measures.

Mido suffered similar abuse during Newcastle's last visit to Boro a year ago - but an FA investigation then did not result in any banning orders due to difficulties in identifying culprits, which the player feels contributed to a repeat this season.

However, the FA insist that, with the help of both clubs, everything is being done to single out any guilty supporters and sanctions will be imposed where possible.

'We condemn any racist or Islamophobic behaviour and are committed to working with our clubs and the police to stamp it out,' a spokesman for the FA said.

'We have an on-going investigation into the incidents on Saturday and are awaiting reports from Middlesbrough and Newcastle United.

'As always, the priority is to identify the individuals involved and take the strongest possible action against them. We fully support banning orders for anyone convicted of racist chanting.'

The incident has been condemned by the anti-racist 'Kick it Out' campaign, and Mido maintains "serious action" must now be taken, but feels nothing at all could happen.

ssn reporting two arrests have been made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

but what about me- though

Des wrote: »
    ssn reporting two arrests have been made

That's laughable to say the least. Surely if these two lads are charged, the couple of hundred Spurs fans who threw all sorts of racist/homophobic abuse at Sol in Fratton Park should also be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    It's clearly racist as far as I'm concerned.

By the way it's not just Newcastle fans. When Mido was at Spurs he got abuse from West Ham fans too. As far as I remember the chants were saying his mother was a shoe bomber there.

IIRC the Bingo Club called him a shoe bomber, and his mother a terrorist.

On that occasion I have no doubt the chants were because of his religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Still waiting for someone to confirm the tune that this goes to, I can't think of the name of it but can certainly whistle it. Spent the commute home coming up with lyrics to go with "Mido, he's got a bomb", have some good ones so far but not sure if I should post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I'd imagine it goes to the tune of Keano, theres only one Keano....

I'm not saying these chants are acceptable, but things are being blown out of proportion.

The reason why Mido receives those chants has nothing to do with his religion, or even his race. It's simply because he looks like Richard Reid, the British shoe bomber.

RichardReid_374x450.jpg

Now, like I said, I am not saying that such chants are right or wrong, but many players receive chants based on who they look like. IMO, this is no worse than all those fans who chanted 'You're just a fat Eddie Murphy' at Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, or all the Pics of Rooney made to look like Shrek.

Is that Boro's new training top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

and then the FA and police can go after the chelsea and spurs fans who sang along to the Adebayor song ( apparently his father has an unusual cleaning position and his mum's on the game).

tbh, i don't really believe the (overwhelmingly vast majority of) people who sing these songs are in any way racist, the media and mido are reading more into this than any terrace sinatra is capable of doing, it takes the mick, flouts the rules and hopefully upsets the opposition. Personally this season I've joined in plenty of abusive chanting at , thus far, wenger, gerrard, adebayor, rooney, ronaldo, all bordeaux players, rooney, gerrard, ronaldo, gomes and so on, nothing to see here, mountain out of molehill, get over it, sensationalist bull.

• Advertisement
Advertisement