Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help for competitive analysis

Options
  • 03-12-2008 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Im doing an assignment,and in it I have to do a competitive analysis of an own label seafood brand and three branded competitors,and their market share.To be honest,im stumped.I really have no idea where to look.the googles been hit and all that comes up are market reports that you have to pay for.I went onto the Bord Iascaigh Mhara site with no luck.any tips or sites where I could find this information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CallieO

Have you been to your institution's library?

The librarian should be able to assist you in your searching online.....accessing the various databases and subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

pinder wrote: »
    Im doing an assignment,and in it I have to do a competitive analysis of an own label seafood brand and three branded competitors,and their market share.To be honest,im stumped.I really have no idea where to look.the googles been hit and all that comes up are market reports that you have to pay for.I went onto the Bord Iascaigh Mhara site with no luck.any tips or sites where I could find this information?

I am nearly sure that Neilson or likes keeps tabs on the Brand Share. you should start there - also have a look here for a few pointers.
    http://www.shelflife.ie/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

pinder wrote: »

For data , there are several reports which might help, but most tend to involve charges, eg Nielsen, Mintel etc

Have you tried the Market info Centre (Library) at Enterprise Ireland.

But you could also contact some Irish competitiors?

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blogprincess

OK Oinder
    Go into a supermarket and pick up the key seafood brands and get their names and addresses and telphone numbers and call them and ask where you might find the information you need

Nolans Seafood is definitely one.
    They advertise on radio. And they rip off desperate housewives in the ads
    Donegal Catch is a good one too and they advertise alot on TV
    Call Aisling Conlon in Institute of Advertising Practitioners and ask her who spends what on seafood advertising - the biggest ones on advertising spend usually have the biggest market share :O)
    Cant think of a third, but a trip to Tesco will help you out
    GOOD LUCK
    It isnt that tricky and hope you dont stay stumped for long :o)
    Sincerely
    BlogPrincess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jerryob

OP, once you have the names and made the calls as the other guys suggest, try the following:
    • go to the CRO and request annual returns from the competitors. It costs ~€2.50 each, but the down side is that they will be about 2 years old.
    • i'm sure you have the overall market size, but if not go to pp 6-7 in the BIM Annual Report 2007.
    • other more up to date market reports can be found here
    • you'll get import/export/workforce/etc. numbers for Ireland on the Eurostat Fisheries section. You can get the market share breakdown with this...
    • Ring up the Dept. of Fisheries - they might be able to give guidance.
    • I would also do a Freedom of Information (FOI) request into BIM. Ask them for the info - you never know what they might have...
    • the branding on the products that blogprincess suggest will give you the softer sides - how they are positioning themselves, what segment (hi/med/low end?)
    • scan through the trade press and conferences to estimate which competitors are spending on advertising and where. You could infer their target market further, and give a stab at their marketing spend...
    I'm afraid I'm not in the Fisheries industry, but I hope this helps... I hope the links work. G'luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement