Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network woes

Options
  • 03-12-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I have a wee network at home which is fairly straightforward and consists of four devices -

1. A router connected to the Internet
    2. A PC cabled to the router
    3. Laptop connecting to the router by wireless
    4. Laptop connecting to the router by wireless

My problem is that everything is working well except that 3 cannot see 4 and vice versa.

If I ping one laptop from the other, I get a message "Destination host unreachable".

All the IP addresses are in the range 192.168.0.1 to 5
    The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on all.
    All are set to the same workgroup.

This is driving me demented.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

richardo wrote: »
    I have a wee network at home which is fairly straightforward and consists of four devices -

1. A router connected to the Internet
    2. A PC cabled to the router
    3. Laptop connecting to the router by wireless
    4. Laptop connecting to the router by wireless

My problem is that everything is working well except that 3 cannot see 4 and vice versa.

If I ping one laptop from the other, I get a message "Destination host unreachable".

All the IP addresses are in the range 192.168.0.1 to 5
    The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on all.
    All are set to the same workgroup.

This is driving me demented.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Is AP isolation turned on on the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit dense, but ..... AP Isolation?

Woa! I just found it. It was enabled [the default setting] and I disabled it.

It is now working!

Spear - You are a star. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Firewall on the laptops blocking ICMP between them? Can you ping the laptops from your PC or the PC from the laptops? Also as Spear said check to see if AP Isolation is turned on on your router.

Arse. Beaten to it :P

All sorted now, thanks Rmacm.

AP Isolation [whatever the hell that is] was the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

AP Isolation isolates the clients from each other, it's mostly useful for things like a publicly accessible AP where the clients would normally have no reason to communicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

It's a way of isolating wireless clients from each other so as in your case with AP Isolation enabled your two wirelessly connected laptops could not communicate with each other. Client Isolation would probably be a more apt name for it.

It certainly seems to work!

Thanks again.

Advertisement