Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Growing Trees

Options
  • 03-12-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi can anyone advise me what would be the best trees to plant to provide shelter/timber in years to come

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Try Eucalyptus gunni or Eucalyptus niphofhilia.
    There’s also another three that are planted along motorways I don’t know the name but I took cuttings about ten years ago theirs trees are now about thirty feet tall they give shade during the summer and allow light true in the winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Willow & Popular would do the trick, specially if you go fo some of the monster Hybrid varieties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Poplar is a bad idea if you have foundations near the tree. They grow quickly, but they inundate underground water pipes, foundations, sewers and so on. They're also very difficult to get rid of - if you chop a poplar down, you'll find a bunch of poplar suckers in its place within the year. You have to ring them and poison them - bad news all round.

Advertisement