Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst sections of courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Fringe wrote: »
    It's just learning so many random processes and bores me so much.

Theres nothing random about the human body boi! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

So what topics are making you want to scream,throw your book out the window burn it and then jump on the ashes?

History: Parnell and anything to do with that evil irritating fecker!
    Irish:leamthuiscints.
    French: opinion pieces
    English:Adreienne rich.theres a special place in hell reserved for people that irritating.
    Biology:respiration and photosynthasis.most confusing parts
    Chemistry:any sort of equation throws me miles off

so what about you?

Irish- Everything bar the oral, so many tenses, so many rules... The pros and poetry are especially bad

Biology- Think resperation and photosynthesis are the easiest parts!! Prob be all the stuff about glands and that kind of thing but apart from that nothing!!

French- Do pass so it's piss easy

Maths- Triganometry, jus not goin to do it

English- poetry, love ppr 1 tho

Economics- where to begin... it's pretty easy jus extreeeeeemely BORING

LCVP- Same as Economics, but work exp. was worst part (don't ask)

Bus.- don't know cause didn't listen to a thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Irish- Everything bar the oral, so many tenses, so many rules... The pros and poetry are especially bad

While the literature section is sooooo vast, I love bullshítting on about poems in exams..............no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fad wrote: »
    While the literature section is sooooo vast, I love bullshítting on about poems in exams..............no idea why.

Yeah you can jus learn off answers... I jus find it so boring and painful... and theres so many poems aswell

Know what your sayin tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah you can jus learn off answers... I jus find it so boring and painful... and theres so many poems aswell

Know what your sayin tho

I have never/will never learn off a poetry answer.........

Theres not THAT many we have 12, 6 Pass, 6 Dánta Duailgise Breise. You're meant to do 36 in English.

I didnt like any of them last year, but I dont really mind the poems this year.

I mean theres poems like An Mhathair which lack all concepts of coherency.

That said on the Irish course the worst is An Bhean Óg, NOTHING happen whatsoever in that story. (Still managed to get a 2 page essay out of it though :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Maths: Logs, Further Calculus (Maclaurin Series WTF)
    Irish: ...absolutely everything
    Music: The theory
    English: Essay
    Accounting: Any question with alot of theory, Published Accounts, Company Assesment. And the lack of time in the exam
    French: Doing pass, loving it :D Comprehensions can be quite tough though
    Art: Irish history.... wtf this isnt even art!!!!
    Biology: Like most of it but I missed respiration in class so its always been patchy :(

The Irish course seriously needs to be revised. Its so funny that its the Irish course thats so slow to change and dated :p:p:p Poetry from the 17th Century though, what are they thinking! They need to make it more like the French course

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Accounting - basically every thing - any long account, club, or tabs - ratio questions are handy tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

Art: Everything apart from the history. And I hate the teacher
    Music: Harmonies
    Geog: Regional Geog
    Maths: Meh...
    English: The Curious Incident of the autistic gob ****e
    Chemistry: ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

History: France. Normally I hate any form of racist jokes, but since this course I've made exceptions for these f*ckers.
    Music: DEANE!! WHY OH WHY do we have to listen to that high pitched shíte??
    English: Bishop. Just don't like her poetry. And any question that asks you to describe how someone's poetry made you feel. Wtf kind of stupid question is that?
    Irish: Comprehensions
    French: the document for the oral
    RE: the transcendent, divine revelation in Islam/Christianity/Judaism, ethical vision of Jesus, right relationship, proofs for the existence of God, atheism... the list goes on!

Why does everyone hate the melody writing? It's basically formulas- learn the solfa, write out your cadences/ good progressions, couple of inversions here, passing notes there, a modulation, a sequence and you're done! I'm really lucky 'cause I'm not very melodic, but I have a really good teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

English: Comparative because its pointless, and the texts can be a pain.

Maths: Not too mush wrong with it imo, but the teaching methods should lean far more towoards understanding what you are doing, then far more people might be able to do part cs correctly rather than just staring blankly at the page because all they have learnt is how to do a particular type of question and not in what context they are using it.

Irish: I'm struggling with pass (after 14 years it must be the systems fault that I can't string a scentence together correctly, not mine:P) but I wouldnt be eligible to comment really.

Physics: Optics is easy but soul-destroyingly boring. The latter stuff with the photoelectric effect and Induction is quality though.

Chemisty: Water, if I wanted to memorise lists I would have done biology.

German: Angewantte Grammatik. How many different meanings can 'die' have?!:confused:

DCG: ugh, the project. I love technical drawing, but you seem to spend three quarters of the time avaidable learning solidworks, sketching etc. then you have to turn round and draw. It feels like 2 subjects forced together.

Applied Maths: Linear accelerated motion, simply because its very bitty and theres a few questions where the only way to get an answer is to differentiate, which just shows how anything can be thrown at you so you really have to be on your game. On the whole though it's a lovely subject.

my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

To the people saying they hate Adrienne Rich... for all her weirdly militant lesbian feminist ways, she's really easy to talk about because there's so much in her poetry... They're just all about society. Commence intelligent-sounding waffle.

Her appearance on last year's paper is probably why I got an A in English. She's SO easy to write about! You can work in so many things when you're discussing her, like how her form and experimentation develop, and about her father, and if I don't stop here I'll probably regurgitate my whole LC essay about her.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Metamorphisis

phasers wrote: »
    Maths:ALGEBRA. Am I the only person in the world that can do everything on the HL Maths course except Algebra? My teacher is completely mystified by it.

nopers! i find everything else in the exam pretty easy but my mind just locks up for those two questions! i don't know why..

aside from that:
    German: roleplays! argh!!!
    English: the essay (i mean the paper 1 one...)
    DCG: geologic geometry
    Physics: nuclear stuff... how can be something that dangerous be that boring at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

English: Comprehensions.Sometimes journalists just write waffle. There is no explanation needed.

Irish: This entire course is crap. The language itself kicks tóin though, I think.

Maths: I cannot for the life of me understand proof by induction.

French: If all French people spoke with Irish accents, the tape would be grand. No problems with French really.

Accounting: The lack of time. Incomplete Records where you start with the balance sheet. The ten mark questions at the end that no one learns the answers to.

Physics: Electricity is crap.

Chemistry: History of the atom and periodic table and all that. Don't see the point of examining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

English: The Comparative section. Our teacher chose 3 crappy texts so finding it hard to get a good answer strung together.
    Irish: stair.... come on!
    Maths: Probability, absolutely hate it. Luckily our teacher does too so spending loads of time with other p.2 Qs
    Chemistry: The Water chapter....literally SHTINK
    Physics: particle physics.... bosons, masons, leptons...martians?!
    History: teacher never bothered doin the french bit, had a quick look at it, she was rite!
    German: Bildergeschichten.... were they drawn 30 years ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

French: all

Physics: Electricity, circular motion

Chemistry: um...

Biology: plants...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Peig

Hands down, just peig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Des23 wrote: »
    English: Comparative because its pointless, and the texts can be a pain.
    I'd say that the comparative is the most worthwhile part of the English course, and the most enjoyable. It's just a pity they don't give you enough time in the exam to write the answer.

Ordinary Irish - The whole cirriculum
    Higher Irish - I'll go by what a friend of mine says. He is the best speaker of Irish in the school but he's not going to get an A because he doesn't spend hours learning off pages and pages of crap.

Ordinary Maths - = JC Higher Level Maths. Why must I sit through this class for hours every week. Why must I sit an exam in it when I did the course a few years ago. When am I ever going to use linear programming or probability again considering I have no intention of doing anything maths related in my future career. Mind boggling.

English - The essay writing - the title should be broader. It's not as if the people who get good results in it make the essay up on the day anyway. There's no way in hell that the stories that got As we are shown were thought up and written on the day of the exam in less than an hour and a half.

History, Business and English - An extra 20 minutes in each would do fine.

Irish - An hour less would do fine. I could go on another ordinary irish rant but I think everybody knows at this stage how flawed the whole thing is, except of course the SEB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

biology.... plants
    french.... its all ****
    business...... whole thing makes ye go to sleep
    accounting.... final accounts & published accounts
    english..... poetry
    maths.... probability
    irish..... everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Funnily enough I was looking through the past papers and a lot of the time you can do almost the whole section B knowing just those two sections.

History-The American book. Not really to do with the content I just hate answering the document question.

Maths-Trigonometry. I absolutely hate this section. Though for some reason I'm okay on the part Cs. It's the as and bs that I can't get a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

K4t wrote: »

English - The essay writing - the title should be broader. It's not as if the people who get good results in it make the essay up on the day anyway. There's no way in hell that the stories that got As we are shown were thought up and written on the day of the exam in less than an hour and a half.

I made my essay up on the day of the exam last year, got an A.
    I also made it up on the day of the Pre this year, got an A.

Just saying. *shrugs*
    Not everyone has one memorised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Irish:stair na gaeilge

French:those stupid literary texts

Physics:waves

English:macbeth

Maths:vectors

DCG:the project

Chemistry:nothing I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

French: all

Chemistry: um...

Biology: plants...

Strangely enough when you come to do physics at a college level electromagnetism is pretty much universally agreed to be far more interesting than any of the classical mechanics that make up alot of the LC course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

English: Comparative...eugh!
    Irish: Comprehensions :mad:
    Accounting: Interpretation
    Chemistry: Just about everything, especially acids/bases, equilibrium, that mechanisms bit of organic ...
    Biology: plant stuff :rolleyes:

Chemistry: Just about everything

I could be mistaken, but don't you want to do Medicine next year? Wouldn't a love, or at least a like, of chemistry be a good thing to have?

I'll admit there are bits of chemistry I detest too though- those tests for anions in particular. AAAAAHHHHHH!

Overall, apart from that, the things I hate most are as follows:

French- everything. Really, just everything.

Irish- Essay writing. Bah! Also, I'm not a massive fan of the prós

English- The Part Bs on Paper 1. Yeah, they're meant to be the easiest part of the course, but they're where I tend to lose most marks.

Biology- Ecology. Yawn.

Geography- Drawing sketch maps of Aerial Photographs/ OS Maps, or the outlines of countries. I'm not very artistically inclined.

Maths- Probability. Hands down the worst thing in the world, ever. Followed by that Maclaurian series stuff.. but I'm starting to get the hang of that. Probability, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I find probability is one of those things that is really simple but phenomenally easy to get wrong just because you didn't think of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

business,
    The Eu section, and communitydevelopment.n that social n environmental responsibility section :rolleyes:

Maths: Liner transformation, its lyk wth -_- algebra!!!!!!(sometimes, i know) vectors(sometimes) trig (sometimes)

French : everything

App maths: almost everything

Accounting: control and suspense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Maths: probability just because it can give you that false sense of security and then.. bam! nothing.
    English: Adrienne Rich... but you can avoid her.
    Irish: Paper 2.
    Spanish: The listening.. especially that weather section.
    Accounting: Management accounting always seemed to be that little bit tagged on to the end to annoy you. It's not hard... just.. boring.
    Chemistry: Tests for anions, IR & UV spectroscopy.
    Economics: The *only* thing is that little bit in the question on trade about the Law of Comparative Advantage. Other than it's a really interesting course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

bythewoods wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but don't you want to do Medicine next year? Wouldn't a love, or at least a like, of chemistry be a good thing to have?

Yup thats me...im getting to like the stuff weve done this year, and as were finished the course and now revising its getting better...my dislike of chemistry is from last year when i had the worlds worst teacher...im one of only 2 girls in the class and he seemed to believe chemistry is not a subject for girls :mad: im fairly sure ive had a big long rant about this already in the "teachers you dislike" thread or something like that...but ya i think thats the reason why i dont like most of the course!! :P

Yup thats me...im getting to like the stuff weve done this year, and as were finished the course and now revising its getting better...my dislike of chemistry is from last year when i had the worlds worst teacher...im one of only 2 girls in the class and he seemed to believe chemistry is not a subject for girls :mad: im fairly sure ive had a big long rant about this already in the "teachers you dislike" thread or something like that...but ya i think thats the reason why i dont like most of the course!! :P

Ah, fair enough.
    I wasn't mad about my Chemistry teacher last year, but my one this year's brilliant! So I do get where you're coming from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Hm the entire pass irish course. Fourteen years learning the language and i have a vocab of about 100 words, i hate being bad at stuff:(

Advertisement