Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AotM4 Nominations Thread!

• 03-12-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

So who will it be this month?

I'm going to suggest this:

albumcoverLarryYoung-Unity.jpg

Because it is one of the best Blue Notes ever. In my opinion. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I met Woody Shaw (kind of) at the Cork Jazz Festival in 1986. It was late Sunday evening in the Imperial Hotel bar which was jammed with drunk "jazz fans". He came in with a helper (he was blind) which must have been unnerving for him as the bar was gaga. It was 10.30-11.00pm with a bar extension on until 12.00. He sat down beside us and we tried to be welcoming but we were legless at that stage. His helper said he had had a long trip, having changed plane 4 times to which a smart voice asked:
    "all in the same airport?"
    and the place fell about laughing at this tremendous wit. They left soon afterwards and it was only next day I realised how famous he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Woody Shaw's trumpet playing is phenomenal on this album, firecracker stuff. For anyone who doesn't have it, go out and get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Don't think i've heard a single one of these albums of the month bar A Love Supreme, bit of a disgrace (disgrace myself that is - i'm happy to see stuff i don't know) really. Though I did get the Neelson one and its fantastic - thanks a lot for that recommendation btw. Will definitely have to get this one too but i've so much damn music to be listening to - damn acquisition of all these discographies!

Just as a thought how about a different person simply puts forward a favorite album each month as the poll thing doesn't seem to be getting too much activity (hypocritical of me to say considering my poorly contribution but heck I'll live with it!)

Anyways this thread needs some competition so I'm going for the modern classic

9041015.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

*punches the air*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ok, I will allow Metheny to have his album of the month slot on the condition that you get yourself a copy of Unity, Shatners. Is that a deal? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Huzah!

But don't forget that its not just Metheny that composes this mad masterpiece.
    His hippy blood brother Lyle Mays is also involved in the PMG!

metheny.gif

Advertisement