Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I'm 10 months in with my heat pump with my new build. I'm quite happy with it but I'm definitely no expert on it so I said I'd post some figures and see if someone can give me some feedback. House is 2650 sq ft and has upstairs and downstairs UFH with MHRV

Operating Data:
    Control Operating Hours 7579
    Add. heater power input 256kwh
    Op. hours for comp. heat 2616h
    Op. hours for DHW 275h

Compressor:
    Total 3351kwh
    Heating 2656kwh
    DHW 691kWh

Output Produced:
    Total output produced 13594kWh
    Heating output produced 11605kWh
    DHW output produced 1985kWh

I have got 5 ESB bills so far since I moved in with the average being E193 over the course of the 10 months so it seems I'm on target for all heat, power etc etc to be E1,200 for a year which I suppose is ok. According to bonkers.ie if I switch to Bord Gais for my 2nd year in the house (going on current usage) I can get this down to E1,050 which would average at E175 per bill which I would find reasonable.

I was paying E1,600 annually in my previous house that I was renting which was half the size of my own house and I was freezing in it because it had storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So you've about half for space heating and hot water and the other half for lighting, services and cooking mainly? You've a very low bill.
    I would spend all that on oil alone in my 30 year old house!!! Way to go.

I actually don't know the split between heat/hot water and lights, washers etc is. That's what I'm aiming to find out.

Water John wrote: »
    So you've about half for space heating and hot water and the other half for lighting, services and cooking mainly? You've a very low bill.
    I would spend all that on oil alone in my 30 year old house!!! Way to go.

You wouldn't spend nearly as much on oil though if you had such an efficient house a heat pump requires.

We went through a tank in 2 months ! :eek:

Though off topic, I must install cameras because the morning we had the bit of snow I saw foot prints coming up from the back gate in the garden from the field behind me and up the side of the house and out the front gate , they passed the oil tank, spooky it was indeed but I'm not bothered if someone was looking for a short cut and not looking for trouble, people walk their dogs and the land behind/beside me is used for hunting.

Anyway, I hope the oil was not nicked.

I'd love to live in a more efficient house but it would cost the guts of 100K or more to renovate, including extension.

Until the house is sealed, the difficult part, and upgrade insulation, easy part, change to A2W is a non runner.
    Tank of oil is about 10 weeks.

• Advertisement

How much is in a tank of oil and how much is a fill?

1,000 litres about €700. That's the cost of medium insulation and poor sealing on a good build, 30 years ago. Easily €1K/per year extra cost.

Tank of oil is about 10 weeks.

I don't get this bit ?

1,000 litres about €700. That's the cost of medium insulation and poor sealing on a good build, 30 years ago. Easily €1K/per year extra cost.

Cost us 630 Euros.

I don't get the rest of your post ?

Or maybe it's the Rioja :confused:;):D

I presume yours.

We use about 90/100 litres heating oil per week.
    If I was building now, the same house would be done to a higher spec.
    To retrofit to up the spec is difficult.
    This country doesn't have a cold climate and had we moved of building regs earlier many of us would not have high heating bills. Never mind the environment.
    Enjoy the rest of the bottle.

• Advertisement

Oh I sip it slowly, I will enjoy it indeed ! ;)

We don't have a cold climate as such but it's a very windy climate and it makes a big difference.

Houses need to be very air tight to compensate for the wind here so while it's not that cold it's windy and that causes draughts and a lot of heat loss.

It's hard to find a quality window manufacturer in Ireland that offers a decent warranty . There are so many windows and doors poorly constructed here in Ireland that are practically useless after 10 years.

I see how much draught the Chimney causes in the sitting room which I much block up, it's incredible !

BTW this house is about 30-35 years old, it had the walls pumped and attic insulated. But external insulation would be a lot better but costly and I would not do this unless we intend to renovate because I'd gut the whole house and do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Averaging €100 a month 'all-in' is impressive. January has been a particularly cold month to date so it will be interesting to see if the bills increase. How much in euro is the exact split between heat and the rest?

The key though is the efficiency and insulation of the house and it is fair to assume that there will be less required from any heat source, oil, wood pellets, solid fuel and back boiler etc.

Therefore the true saving is based on the payback from the A2W vs the other sources.

I'm 10 months in with my heat pump with my new build. I'm quite happy with it but I'm definitely no expert on it so I said I'd post some figures and see if someone can give me some feedback. House is 2650 sq ft and has upstairs and downstairs UFH with MHRV

Operating Data:
    Control Operating Hours 7579
    Add. heater power input 256kwh
    Op. hours for comp. heat 2616h
    Op. hours for DHW 275h

Compressor:
    Total 3351kwh
    Heating 2656kwh
    DHW 691kWh

Output Produced:
    Total output produced 13594kWh
    Heating output produced 11605kWh
    DHW output produced 1985kWh

I have got 5 ESB bills so far since I moved in with the average being E193 over the course of the 10 months so it seems I'm on target for all heat, power etc etc to be E1,200 for a year which I suppose is ok. According to bonkers.ie if I switch to Bord Gais for my 2nd year in the house (going on current usage) I can get this down to E1,050 which would average at E175 per bill which I would find reasonable.

I was paying E1,600 annually in my previous house that I was renting which was half the size of my own house and I was freezing in it because it had storage heaters.

100 a months is good we used about 1000 liters of oil in about 2 months or slightly more, that's about 640 Euros.

I keep meaning to block up the chimney, the heat getting sucked out is amazing the cold it pulls in the sitting room for instance from other parts of the house it's like there's a window open.

I'd love to bring it to passive standards but would need 100+ K as we would need to renovate the entire house and we'd extend it also. Would be nice though.

But seriously, I don't think most people realise what they'd save if they just blocked up the chimney.

Averaging €100 a month 'all-in' is impressive. January has been a particularly cold month to date so it will be interesting to see if the bills increase. How much in euro is the exact split between heat and the rest?

The key though is the efficiency and insulation of the house and it is fair to assume that there will be less required from any heat source, oil, wood pellets, solid fuel and back boiler etc.

Therefore the true saving is based on the payback from the A2W vs the other sources.

I actually don't know that would you believe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adrianegan3

Hi currently heating house with solid fuel stove and oil heating as back up .
    Would and air to water heat pump work along side the solid fuel stove or would I need to install a buffer tank .

Unless it's a quite recent build, it will need a significant upgrade in insulation and sealing first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you would need to completely rearrange your heating system. The water from the heat pump just won’t be as warm from your other systems. You would probably need extra radiators too.

It’s quite an expensive project and you’d be better off putting it into other measures, like insulating the walls or attic or upgrading windows or something else. You would get a lot more comfort for less trouble I think.

Changing the rads to aluminium would probably be also necessary.

One of the greatest things I did yesterday was to put a balloon up the Chimney, the difference is simply amazing, the sitting room holds hear far longer and it's a lot more comfortable, no more wing being sucked through the door, sometimes it was like having a window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Just reviewed energy use Feb17-Jan 18. 1970s big window 1500 sq/ft bungalow, older PVC D/G, external and attic insulation,. BER B2. 8Kw AWS heat pump, no other heating. Heating set to 21c 24/7. Energy used 8642 Kw/H cost €118 per month. Huge savings over gas heating (saving 2K+ per year) but the real bonus is the permanent snug comfort.

• Advertisement

Is it the external insulation brought it up to a B2?
    Is the A2W connected to the standard rads?
    Really like to know. 30 year old house here. €1500/2000 oil to heat every year.

Is it the external insulation brought it up to a B2?
    Is the A2W connected to the standard rads?
    Really like to know. 30 year old house here. €1500/2000 oil to heat every year.

Just added the size to my post: 1500 sq/ft. Concrete floors with old GB piping that was starting to rot. New bog standard steel rads with plastic piping run up through the drylined walls and attic.

It was a combination of the heat pump and big insulated hot water tank, external/attic insulation, newer draft proof external doors, active room vents, Eco lighting and deleted open fire for a video fire!!

Got a bunch SEAI grants, tax relief ( VAT scheme) and €1200 of free electricity from Electric Ireland under their carbon credit purchase programme.

The new €3500 heat pump grant coming in April will make it even better value!!

When you say, big insulated water tank, are you using night rate to run the A2W and using the big tank as buffer?

When you say, big insulated water tank, are you using night rate to run the A2W and using the big tank as buffer?

no the big insulated system hot water tank with immersion, metal filter etc

Metal filter ?

Metal filter ?

Yes, to protect the heat pump from any swarf etc!! Standard fitment in any proper installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

mrawkward wrote: »

The new €3500 heat pump grant coming in April will make it even better value!!

?

rolion wrote: »
    ?

Google is your friend http://glenergy.ie/heat-pump-grants/

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

mrawkward wrote: »
    Just reviewed energy use Feb17-Jan 18. 1970s big window 1500 sq/ft bungalow, older PVC D/G, external and attic insulation,. BER B2. 8Kw AWS heat pump, no other heating. Heating set to 21c 24/7. Energy used 8642 Kw/H cost €118 per month. Huge savings over gas heating (saving 2K+ per year) but the real bonus is the permanent snug comfort.

Do you mind sharing how much you spent on external/attack insulation and heat pump?

• Advertisement

About 17K nett of grants/incentives

Advertisement