Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mrawkward wrote: »
    The new €3500 heat pump grant coming in April will make it even better value!!

Sadly all it will do is drive up the prices

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Sadly all it will do is drive up the prices

but not for those wise ones who get their price quotes in now and have their homework done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good price, as exsulation isn't cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

but not for those wise ones who get their price quotes in now and have their homework done.

i wonder...if i get my heat pump priced from my trade channels AND find an approved installer...im i going to be qualified for the grant !?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Just reviewed energy use Feb17-Jan 18. 1970s big window 1500 sq/ft bungalow, older PVC D/G, external and attic insulation,. BER B2. 8Kw AWS heat pump, no other heating. Heating set to 21c 24/7. Energy used 8642 Kw/H cost €118 per month. Huge savings over gas heating (saving 2K+ per year) but the real bonus is the permanent snug comfort.

How did you get the 8642 Kw/H = €118 per month figure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

Has anyone come across media coverage of MICRO RENEWABLE ENERGY FEDERATION during the week?
    Google MREF for details.
    Based on the 8642kwh above (I consume something similar myself), some PV panels could finally make sense.
    Might not be the correct forum for this - but just thought I'd mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

How did you get the 8642 Kw/H = €118 per month figure?

simple division!! my unit cost is around 16c per Kwh inc VAT, SC and PS levy!

simple division!! my unit cost is around 16c per Kwh inc VAT, SC and PS levy!

I’ll go with that 16c figure myself so. Im on a standard Electric Ireland Dual Rate (Day / Night Rate) so I’m surely in around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I haven't quite reached a full year with my A2W HP but it looks like my total annual electricity bill will be approximately €900. This covers everything - heating, hot water, cooking, applicances, etc.

House is two storey, 2800 sq feet and UFH throughout. I got a stand alone wood burning stove before Christmas and have used it maybe twice a week, mostly in the colder weather. I work from home so use a fair bit of electricity.

Anyway just wondering how this compares to others in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I haven't quite reached a full year with my A2W HP but it looks like my total annual electricity bill will be approximately €900. This covers everything - heating, hot water, cooking, applicances, etc.

House is two storey, 2800 sq feet and UFH throughout. I got a stand alone wood burning stove before Christmas and have used it maybe twice a week, mostly in the colder weather. I work from home so use a fair bit of electricity.

Anyway just wondering how this compares to others in a similar situation?

Hi Barney we are in our new place just over a year. A2W heat pump with UFH downstairs and alu rads upstairs. House is 2900 sq feet 1.5 story so similar to yours. Total 12 month esb bill was €1300 so yours is looking good! The last month of colder weather has really ticked up the total.

• Advertisement

We used 700 Euro's worth of oil in about 3 months ! probably empty the tank before summer too, without doubt that will be about 1400 excluding electricity. But, since I blocked up the sitting room chimney it made a huge difference to heat retention. Chimneys are giant heat extractors !

Anyway, have you any solar PV ? though I suppose this time of the year there's no point with that, a feed in tariff would allow you to export during the brighter months and buy it back in Winter, such a shame. You'd hardly spend anything on heat and leccy then.

Our leccy bills are about what, 80-90 PM and that included electric car average 13-15 Kwh per day for whole house.

macgabhs wrote: »
    Hi Barney we are in our new place just over a year. A2W heat pump with UFH downstairs and alu rads upstairs. House is 2900 sq feet 1.5 story so similar to yours. Total 12 month esb bill was €1300 so yours is looking good! The last month of colder weather has really ticked up the total.

Feb 22nd will see me reach 1 year in my house and it’s looking like I’ll be €1300 aswell. I have 2700sq ft with A2W & UFH upstairs & downstairs. €900 is a great result.

Entering my details into switcher.ie Energia are forecasting a near €230 saving in my next 12 months so I think I’ll try that.

We used 700 Euro's worth of oil in about 3 months ! probably empty the tank before summer too, without doubt that will be about 1400 excluding electricity. But, since I blocked up the sitting room chimney it made a huge difference to heat retention. Chimneys are giant heat extractors !

Anyway, have you any solar PV ? though I suppose this time of the year there's no point with that, a feed in tariff would allow you to export during the brighter months and buy it back in Winter, such a shame. You'd hardly spend anything on heat and leccy then.

Our leccy bills are about what, 80-90 PM and that included electric car average 13-15 Kwh per day for whole house.

When you say block up the chimney, does that mean you had an open fire place in your sitting room?

When you say block up the chimney, does that mean you had an open fire place in your sitting room?

Yes I have an open fireplace with a horribly inefficient gas fire. Great to look at but might as well throw a match to the money instead. It is quiet warm when on though and warms up fast.

I was thinking of getting an insert gas stove which would bring efficiency from about 25 to 85-90% which would would be fine when I don't need the oil heating on , I don't like heating the whole house when I'm here during the day and only in 1 or two rooms. An electric oil heater would probably be as cheap to run anyway but the Gas stove would be a lot nicer but a lot more expensive to buy. You can get them piped directly from outside too which stops the draughts by sucking in air directly.

But, putting the balloon up the chimney made a massive difference to heat retention particularly in the sitting room + the draught is gone which was worst of all.

macgabhs wrote: »

Ah thanks for that mate! Looks like it's doing ok then which is good!:pac:

Feb 22nd will see me reach 1 year in my house and it’s looking like I’ll be €1300 aswell. I have 2700sq ft with A2W & UFH upstairs & downstairs. €900 is a great result.

Entering my details into switcher.ie Energia are forecasting a near €230 saving in my next 12 months so I think I’ll try that.

Yes I did the same with bonkers.ie and will be switching next month also to energia. I am with Bord Gais and put through a lot of Tesco vouchers against it last night which really helps. Maybe I'll return to them in a year's time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

I would imagine that the bitterly cold January has meant that all systems are working overtime since Christmas meaning that costs are up

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

My Dec-Jan ESB bill was €410

Normally €180-€220

But the indoor temp remained constant(21-22) all day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Heat pumps are working a lot harder therefore using more juice, also depending on how your installer spec'd the size and model it may be using the back up heater in them.

Better installers will have allowed for the lower temps meaning this back up won't need to come on but the pump itself will still be running longer but just won't cost as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭caddy16

Does anyone have anyone thoughts on the new Daikan Altherma 3 heat pump, is it a risk going with the newest technology?

• Advertisement

Nope the latest is normally the best and most efficient.

I looked at them before choosing Nibe after a lot of research.

Only downside with Nibe is they charge you €24 a year to use full monitoring capabilities on their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭caddy16

Nope the latest is normally the best and most efficient.

I looked at them before choosing Nibe after a lot of research.

Only downside with Nibe is they charge you €24 a year to use full monitoring capabilities on their app.
    Do you mind me asking why you chose the Nibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What does the app do for you?

Heat Pumps are pretty much a setup and let run system. Its not like you login and turn the heating on/off depending on when you think you will get home etc(like oil heating).

I can't see what remote capabilities you'd need other than novelty factor of being able to see what its doing.

Can you let us know what the app actually lets you do?

I'd be weary of anything that's a function of the house connected to the internet, it makes that device connected vulnerable.I would not do it, I wouldn't care if it was just a light bulb.

That would be a fairly extreme view, since Internet of Things is the way a lot of tech is going.
    Being on here, could lead to your laptop or phone being hijacked.

Oh by all means connect everything you own to the internet, I just wouldn't and won't, I can set timers and turn on and off lights myself. I have plenty connected to the internet already.

If everything works via the internet in 20 years what happens if it for some reason no longer works ? or is severely impaired for months or longer ?

The more connected to the internet the more risk of getting hacked, yes that goes for cars too.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why you chose the Nibe?

Mr Google. About a year of online research and a chat with my installer who can't recommend them enough sealed the deal.(same reason I chose Zehnder for MHRV)

KCross wrote: »
    What does the app do for you?

Can you let us know what the app actually lets you do?

Monitoring is the main use. Indoor/outdoor temps. Compressor starts and kw/h usage. Temp of heating flow and return.Temp of hot water, set time for top up before shower in the morning. Holiday settings. Schedule blocking of compressor starts. I have it a year now and still don't understand it all. It is fully automatic and works from a pre-set curve that you can adjust to suit your comfort level.

Here is current service info..

status
    avg. outdoor temp BT1 6.9°C
    hot water charging BT6 42.3°C
    hot water top BT7 42.3°C
    outdoor temp. BT1 6.3°C
    current BE1 0.1A
    current BE2 0.1A
    current BE3 0.1A
    degree minutes -33DM
    climate system 1
    external adjustment S1 no
    floor drying function off
    calculated flow temp. S1 25.5°C
    external flow temp. BT25 23.6°C
    heat medium flow BT2 24.1°C
    return temp. BT3 24.4°C
    room temperature BT50 22.7°C
    addition
    blocked yes
    fuse size 16A
    time factor 1.7h
    electrical addition power 0.0kW
    set max electrical add. 7.0kW
    addition temperature BT63 24.1ºC
    heat meter
    cooling, compr. only. 192.1kWh
    heating, compr. only. 8599.6kWh
    heating, int. add. incl. 8599.6kWh
    hotwater, compr. only. 4077.0kWh
    hw, incl. int. add 4091.9kWh
    pool, compr. only. 0.0kWh
    flow BF1 9.1l/m

Outdoor unit
    defrosting EB101 no
    pump speed heating medium GP1 85%
    outdoor temp. EB101-BT28 6.0°C
    compressor module
    blocked no
    compressor starts EB101 3938
    cpr. protection mode EB101 no
    condenser out EB101-BT12 46.8°C
    evaporator EB101-BT16 -4.6°C
    hot gas EB101-BT14 74.6°C
    liquid line EB101-BT15 44.4°C
    return temp. EB101-BT3 42.5°C
    suction gas EB101-BT17 6.4°C
    high pressure sensor EB101 27.6bar
    low pressure sensor EB101 5.3bar
    compressor operating time EB101 2105h
    compressor operating time hot water EB101 671h
    compressor run time cooling EB101 34h
    current compr. frequency EB101 63Hz
    requested compressor freq EB101 63Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Monitoring is the main use. Indoor/outdoor temps. Compressor starts and kw/h usage. Temp of heating flow and return.Temp of hot water, set time for top up before shower in the morning. Holiday settings. Schedule blocking of compressor starts. I have it a year now and still don't understand it all. It is fully automatic and works from a pre-set curve that you can adjust to suit your comfort level.

Here is current service info..

status
    avg. outdoor temp BT1 6.9°C
    hot water charging BT6 42.3°C
    hot water top BT7 42.3°C
    outdoor temp. BT1 6.3°C
    current BE1 0.1A
    current BE2 0.1A
    current BE3 0.1A
    degree minutes -33DM<snip>

OK, I'm familiar with all those metrics. They are available on the main screen of the system as well. There isn't a great deal of benefit to being able to see them from the app to be honest.

Once the system is running and stable the way you want it it is fully automatic and there is no real requirement to remotely access it.

Even if you changed some of the settings it takes time for the system to "rebalance" so doing it from the app doesn't buy you anything really.

It should be free, tbh.

If I have to be up earlier than normal I can re-set hot water from bed because I can.

We were recently on holidays and weather got colder than we expected so we monitored the house and ended holiday mode a day earlier because we could and came home to a lovely warm house.

It's interesting to see how the house preforms in extreme weather from the comfort of my couch or any couch in the word.

I wanted full control of the HP remotely so i paid up, basic settings are free. True, they should be free same all all other tech.

Most settings are instant, the only thing that takes time is UFH. They recommend increments of 1 per day until desired temperature is reached.

• Advertisement

I think increment increase of UFH is only required when its first started, in a new floor. Allowing the concrete to dry out and not crack.

Advertisement