Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

I'm not sure, my Mothers dryer is the condenser sensor dryer, so has humidity sensor and she says the clothes out of our heat pump dryer come out far better, in the sense not creased nearly as much and I think she mentioned something like outdoor feel or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

avg. outdoor temp BT1 0.6°C
    hot water charging BT6 40.8°C
    hot water top BT7 40.9°C
    outdoor temp. BT1 -1.4°C
    current BE1 0.1A
    current BE2 0.1A
    current BE3 0.1A
    degree minutes -34DM
    climate system 1
    external adjustment S1 no
    floor drying function off
    calculated flow temp. S1 27.4°C
    external flow temp. BT25 25.9°C
    heat medium flow BT2 28.2°C
    return temp. BT3 25.1°C
    room temperature BT50 21.9°C
    addition
    blocked no
    fuse size 16A
    time factor 1.7h
    electrical addition power 0.0kW
    set max electrical add. 7.0kW
    addition temperature BT63 28.9ºC
    heat meter
    cooling, compr. only. 192.1kWh
    heating, compr. only. 9121.3kWh
    heating, int. add. incl. 9121.3kWh
    hotwater, compr. only. 4132.6kWh
    hw, incl. int. add 4147.5kWh
    pool, compr. only. 0.0kWh
    flow BF1 20.1l/m
    country ireland
    product VVM 320 R
    Outdoor Unit
    defrosting EB101 no
    pump speed heating medium GP1 83%
    outdoor temp. EB101-BT28 -1.9°C
    compressor module
    blocked no
    compressor starts EB101 4095
    cpr. protection mode EB101 no
    condenser out EB101-BT12 33.6°C
    evaporator EB101-BT16 -10.2°C
    hot gas EB101-BT14 71.2°C
    liquid line EB101-BT15 25.7°C
    return temp. EB101-BT3 24.9°C
    suction gas EB101-BT17 -4.9°C
    high pressure sensor EB101 19.2bar
    low pressure sensor EB101 4.8bar
    compressor operating time EB101 2183h
    compressor operating time hot water EB101 678h
    compressor run time cooling EB101 34h
    current compr. frequency EB101 102Hz
    requested compressor freq EB101 102Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

heating, compr. only. 9121.3kWh
    compressor starts EB101 4095
    compressor operating time EB101 2183h

These ones are the important ones to compare over time.

Compressor starts are important for longevity of your system. If the compressor is cycling on/off/on alot it will burn out sooner.

Compressor operating time is useful too and will obviously be ticking up quickly this week. Someone told me before that 30,000 hours is a good estimate of how long a compressor lasts... it is of course a guess to some degree. Its like saying your car will last 10 years.... some will, some won't.

Looking back at your post from 22 Feb it looks like you are using about 90kWh per day since then so assuming 7c/kWh about €6/day. Actually more than that because it will have run during the day as well on day rate electricity.

That sounds like a lot no ?

90 Kwh ?

The kwh on the HP readings does not correlate with the kwh reading on ESB metre for some reason.

The HP kwh could go up 100/day when in reality it's only using 15-20/day.

Anyone know why this is?

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the HP output, not what it has used.

Mine doesn't give that figure so I presumed it was input.

The running hours went up 80hrs in the 6 days so that would suggest more that 20 units per day. What HP do you have? What kW rating is it?

Nibe vvm320 16kw

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is that output of 16kw? Input would be between 4 to 5kw.

16kW would be output. Probably rated with a COP of about 5 so maybe 3kW input or thereabouts including pumps etc.

So every hour it runs is about 3 units.

COP of 5 would be good. Won't be got, in this weather.

• Advertisement

If that is the case, total compressor hours minus compressor hot water heating equals total year for heating alone.

2183-687=1496 X 3 units =4488units

I only have 8665 on my meter so half and that is definitely not heating alone.

My average bill with no heating is €200 for 6-7 months of the year.

Spec for HP compressor. Yes COP around 2 in -2 conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Water John wrote: »
    COP of 5 would be good. Won't be got, in this weather.

COP of 2 or less in this weather would be more like it

That's pretty good considering we're on our 2nd tank and a tank of oil has about 10,300 Kwh worth. But having said that in a much more efficient house we would probably us a lot less than a tank anyway.

Yes a lot of the HP savings can be attributed to modern house build, to which they are matched. On second tank of oil here too.

If the sealing envelope and insulation was upgraded to a higher BER, then one oil fill would probably do, for the year.

More roof insulation would help but walls, and floors are a big contributes to heat loss also as I recently discovered sealing up open fire chimneys makes a massive difference to heat loss and draughts.

External insulation would make a big difference but it's not cheap.

Windows are another problem, high U value are expensive and then getting the properly installed is another issue. I've had to seal up some gaps in windows in my house due to woeful installation.

The other issue is poor manufacturing quality, I've seen some horrid PVC window and doors including in my old house after 5-7 years some of them are no longer fit for purpose.

I also don't know why we don't have some kind of shutter system for the outside of the window like they do in for instance Germany, it makes a big difference and would greatly help here due to the amount of wind we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I also don't know why we don't have some kind of shutter system for the outside of the window like they do in for instance Germany, it makes a big difference and would greatly help here due to the amount of wind we have.

Ive been looking at those rollers /shutters /blinds for years !
    Been told that due to planing permission rules related to exterior aspect and taste and fcukign colour...i may have to remove them if someone sees them and complains.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Our A2W heat pump really struggling to heat the house in this weather, and costing about 10 Euro a day in electricity.

rolion wrote: »
    Been told that due to planing permission rules related to exterior aspect and taste and fcukign colour...i may have to remove them if someone sees them and complains.

And in Ireland I'd very well believe it too !

Ha, off topic, but I see on RTE News a Dublin 24 hour shop. It has no door. Just an air curtain. Hope the leccie keeps running or the food will have a lovely, white coat.

A lot of cold bridging around windows and doors. That's hard to solve in retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

COP of 2 or less in this weather would be more like it

Not a bother if you have a ground source unit. Same COP year round give or take a few %.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

threeball wrote: »
    Not a bother if you have a ground source unit. Same COP year round give or take a few %.

Correct...and lovely to have one on these cold air days/nights.

I'm "dreaming" designing a ground heat pump but with the second advantage of been able to run a pipe or two (along side the sondes for HP) that will act as a pre-heat stage for a heat recovery system. The intact rather than been on the roof exposed to cold temps to be running inside the mother Earth and stealing the warmer temperatures, hoping to have a steady 15ish rather than a cold 0,as it is now with hrv unit powered off.

Anyone have this kind of system !?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

A former neighbour of mine has actually made up an insert that he fastens in front of each of his windows during cold snaps.

Basically he got hold of double glazing panes from old windows off done deal and cut frames to size using 4" solid insulation.

He just pushes them in and has fasteners in place and they work exceptionally well and they are easy to take in and take out. Obviously light is compromised but they can be taken off very easily on milder days and put back on

No planning permission to worry about. I actually have photographs of them somewhere, a very simple setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

Correct...and lovely to have one on these cold air days/nights.

I'm "dreaming" designing a ground heat pump but with the second advantage of been able to run a pipe or two (along side the sondes for HP) that will act as a pre-heat stage for a heat recovery system. The intact rather than been on the roof exposed to cold temps to be running inside the mother Earth and stealing the warmer temperatures, hoping to have a steady 15ish rather than a cold 0,as it is now with hrv unit powered off.

Anyone have this kind of system !?
    Thanks.

I don't have it .. but there are systems that pre-heat .. surprised you have the HRV off.. mine ran the entire cold spell .. no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before but I searched and couldn't find an exact match. I am currently looking to buy a new build in a development with ~100 houses. The houses are fantastic but they come with 1 thing I am unsure of, the heat pumps. I am worried about these as I am afraid I won't be able to make the house warm enough. We are viewing the house for the first time on Friday and I would like to be able to ask questions around this but I know basically nothing (apart from my own reading about how they work). The spiel from the builder is as follows; Heating:
    - Dimplex Heat Pump
    - High Energy Efficient Thermostatic Controlled Radiators throughout the House
    - Each Room can be Individually Controlled
    - Dual Coil Water cylinder including Zoned Heating

Basically what does the above mean exactly?

Houses are roughly 1400 square ft and no UFH. Obviously new builds are A3 and designed to retain heat but am I making a mistake? The radiators worry me as I have read they work best with larger radiators and the temp never reaches "toasty"!

Are they standard steel rads or oversized aluminium rads?

Its unusual to have a new build using rads with a heat pump. UFH would have been the better choice.

As to whether it will work or not is down to the airtightness and general efficiency of the house and the fact it is A3 is largely irrelevant. The BER rating is a theoretical figure based on whats in the house. It could be leaking heat all over the place for all you know. Will you get an airtightness cert? If yes, that should alleviate your fears somewhat.

Is anyone living in any of the houses? Knock on their door and get electricity bills. Thats really the only way you will know.

And just to clarify, the rads will never be toasty with a HP. They should only be at about 30C. If they are much warmer than that you will have high bills and a burned out HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

I'm not sure about the size, I will be sure to ask her when I go on Friday (viewing an incomplete house). Thanks for the tip about the airtightness cert. I will be sure to ask her about that too. I'll definitely harass any current occupants while I am there too.

There is a stove in the house also, I am hoping that the combination of this and the heat pump will be enough.

A friend told me he heard multi fuel stoves cannot be put in new builds anymore (something to do with engineers signing off), that doesn't sound right to me - do you know if thats true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I haven't quite reached a full year with my A2W HP but it looks like my total annual electricity bill will be approximately €900. This covers everything - heating, hot water, cooking, applicances, etc.

House is two storey, 2800 sq feet and UFH throughout. I got a stand alone wood burning stove before Christmas and have used it maybe twice a week, mostly in the colder weather. I work from home so use a fair bit of electricity.

Anyway just wondering how this compares to others in a similar situation?

Following that cold snap I'll be ramping up this figure a bit. My electricity contract runs out very soon so I'll post the final figure in the next week hopefully.

I got a request from my HP provider for first service. I'm in the house 15 months. Here's the service charges:

Heat Pump €115
    Heat Recovery Ventilation €100
    Underfloor or Radiators €42

Total €257 inc. VAT. Does this sound reasonable? Seems like a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Following that cold snap I'll be ramping up this figure a bit. My electricity contract runs out very soon so I'll post the final figure in the next week hopefully.

I got a request from my HP provider for first service. I'm in the house 15 months. Here's the service charges:

Heat Pump €115
    Heat Recovery Ventilation €100
    Underfloor or Radiators €42

Total €257 inc. VAT. Does this sound reasonable? Seems like a lot.

Hi , that's steep .. I got my pump checked out after three years and the hrv was cleaned at the same time. There is very little to adjust or service on a heat pump..I would prefer it to later . I replace my filters every 6 to 8 months.

that is all , common sense prevails..

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are these heat pumps "all the go" now? Is everyone turfing out the old offchuh and gas and converting to heat pumps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Hi all,
    Sorry to digress and maybe this has been asked before but would it be of benefit to put an A2W unit in a shed/garage that has good air circulation? It would be protected from snow and the worst of any frost.

Advertisement