Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANother n95 8gb question

• 03-12-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Been having a lot of fun with this phone , this is the second time i've had it and im bemused too why i sold it the first time now :)

So is there a way of preloading all Irish and Uk maps on the phone ???

Is there any other good apps for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I've never been able to get the gps working on that phone. What the hell was I doing wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

afaik there's a program called nokia map loader that lets you download them onto your pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

you can get tomtom for it on some sites and it works like a charm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Here's an alternative link to the Nokia Maps. I don't run Windows so can't use Loader.

http://nokiamaps.site666.info/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Couple of apps here - http://www.powermyphone.com/applications.php

My UK / IE maps came preloaded with my O2 one, but map loader is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Get google maps form the google mobile website. Works much better than Nokia maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Oh yeah, apps for navigation..

Nokia Maps - great maps and detail, but you've to pay for routing and guides and no matter what I tried, car routing took forever to calculate if it worked at all. The rest of the time it insisted I was offroad and showed me ten yards away in a field. I've tried various versions and maps, reinstalling maps, cleaning the data cache, etc etc, everything, but nothing worked. I now just use it as a paper type map at which it's superb, if that makes any sense, ie not for gps type car routing navigation. The advantage over Google Maps is you can download all the data on a pc or whatever, bang it over and not have to pay for data charges. I've currently got all of Europe copied over, something like 1.6gb and it's well worth it.
    I'm looking forward to trying Version 3 once it comes out on the N95, soon hopefully.

Sygic McGuider - This looked ok, the maps seemed reasonable but I found the routing to be awful, it led me completely astray lots of times so I got rid of it.

Garmin - The driving view just looked weird and it was incredibly slow so I dumped it, more money gone, sigh.

Navigon MN7 - This has worked pretty well. Good maps and routing. The UI is simpler than others but this is just a matter of personal preference as it still has most, if not all the of features you'll probably need.

CoPilot Live 7 - A close call between this and Navigon but the UI clinches it for me. Great maps and fast as hell recalculating routes, I love it.

Tom Tom used to have a Symbian client but I think it's discontinued now. I think Route66 is also available but I haven't tried it.
    There are also some freeware type apps, there's one in particular which I tried and which was good, but it depended on downloading maps as you go which isn't all that feasible here, let alone bearing the cost of data roaming charges if you're travelling outside of Ireland :eek:

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Get google maps form the google mobile website. Works much better than Nokia maps
    With Google Maps you're constantly downloading though. This probably makes it more accurate and more often updated but it also can cost a lot in terms of data and battery life. Also not ideal when roaming, again due to data costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I got Garmin XT now installed :D , great app.

Random wrote: »
    Couple of apps here - http://www.powermyphone.com/applications.php

My UK / IE maps came preloaded with my O2 one, but map loader is the way to go.

How do you install the cinema one and also the wep application ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Sarge wrote: »

+1

How do you install the cinema one and also the wep application ?
    Load page on your phone, Download & run/install.

Are you having problems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i have that meself alright, not installed at the moment though. Anyone want it lol. I put TomTom onto my phone just because you can get funny voices with it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Where did you find Gramin XT?

Random wrote: »
    Load page on your phone, Download & run/install.

Are you having problems ?

Sorted cheers thanks :D

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Where did you find Gramin XT?

Cant say :D

Hmmmm.... you want to keep all the good stuff to yourself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Hmmmm.... you want to keep all the good stuff to yourself :D

i think some of the links on this page might help you:
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=download+garmin+xt&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

not the garmin.com links though

^^ thanks a lot Sam :)

Will have a look in the evening to find a working one.

I couldn't say , Been the moderator and all couldn't possibly be linking to site where you can download the application for free :D , Enjoy when you find it. Im still have a great fun with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement