Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of 3Mb to 6Mb upgrade from BT is a week downtime

Options
  • 03-12-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭

I'm subscribing to BT Broadband Option 2 which costs 46 p.m. for a voiceline with no call package and 3Mb BB. I discovered recently that my local exchange had been upgraded to 24Mb capability and since that meant that I could now get 6Mb as part of my package, I dropped them an e-mail asking for it, I got this reply:

You are currently connected to Bitstream Option 2 which is an up to 3Mb product.
    If you would like to connect to LLU Option 2 which is up to 6Mb you will need to call customer care and request an upgrade.

So I phoned them and they said it was no problem and they'd organise it. Unfortunately they omitted to mention that it can involve a loss of Internet service (voiceline is ok) for over a week. Yesterday I came home from work and switched on the modem, the DSL light came on solid but the Internet light stayed firmly off. When I rang them today (Wed 3rd), they said that I could be waiting up to Thu 11th to be connected to the 6Mb service! Seems that the notion of being disconnected from one service and connected to the replacement service in one day isn't part of the agenda.

Luckily I have a Vodafone 3G dongle from my employer, otherwise I'd be seriously p**ed off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

coylemj wrote: »
    the notion of being disconnected from one service and connected to the replacement service in one day isn't part of the agenda.

Luckily I have a Vodafone 3G dongle from my employer, otherwise I'd be seriously p**ed off.

The delay is likely due to the fact they are switching you over to LLU ADSL2 service. I know if you switch from one provider to another ( Eircom to Smart ) you dont get downtime or at most it might be a couple of hours but they would both be providing Bitstream service ADSL1.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doesn't address the issue of why I have to be disconnected for over a week. It smacks of old-fashioned demarcation where the guys who disconnect people visit my exchange on Tuesdays and the lads who connect you go there on Thursdays.

I don't see how the specifics of the technology matters, the plain fact is that I have no service for potentially over a week.

Advertisement