Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yerba Mate in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've searched the board, but no joy. Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin that might sell yerba mate? Failing that, anyone know an online supplier? There's a recession on, you know, so I can't keep drinking all these cappuchinos...

Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Health shops sell Yerba Mate tea bags.
    I used to get it in the Health shop in Grafton St (the one close to Boots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jimkennedy

Yerba Mate tea bags? How does that work? I'll go in there and ask them if they know anything about getting the loose leaf stuff. Thanks otnomart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jimkennedy

Found it myself down at the IFSC Christmas market (running until December 23) at the Steamy Tea stall.

It's good, my head is spinning.

It's also on their website - http://steamytea.ie/acatalog/Herbal_Tea.html

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Isn't coca tea illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Down to Earth on George St sells the loose leaf in 200g yellow boxes.
    Alternatively, there is an arab shop near Harcourt St that does it too and sometimes you can find it in the Clonskeagh Mosque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I found this site selling yerba . Seeing as its difficult enough to find the loose tea in Ireland this might come in handy for yerba lovers .

www.almacenargentino.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dutch_Gold

There are 2 shops on Camden St, one of them may sell it , I've to try it out when I get the chance. I get mine sent from Chile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niamh_ireland

I heard from a gaucho hat wearing Argentinian I met in Kildare that you can get loose-leaf yerba mate in some butcher's on Parnell St. The same butcher's apparently sell the cuts of meat that are popular in Argentina but not quite so popular among ourselves here in Ireland. (If you've been to Argentina you'll know what I mean. In theory I'm all for using all of the cow, but in practise, I can't really stomach some of what they serve up over there!)

I haven't gone looking for this place myself as I am still working my way through the 4kg of mate I brought home from Argentina :)

Thanks for the steamytea link Jim by the way. Altho 2euro per 100g seems dear considering how much actual mate you will get out of that. It would be interesting to see if these mysterious butcher does it cheaper. Can anyone confirm or deny rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Bumping this thread because I also would like to find out about the mysterious butcher. Heading back from argentina in a few days so would be good to know if i need to stock up before I leave. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lauriele

You can get Mate in a Brazilian shop in Moore St Mall for €4.75 for 500g. There's also another Brazilian shop on Clarendon Street.

My favourite Mate is Canarias which I've yet to find in Ireland, so if anyone can shed some light on how to buy it please let me know! I recently found a website called http://www.almacenargentino.com/ - is it legit? Has anyone bought anything from them?

I recently bought Barao in Moore St Mall which is very powdery and keeps getting clogged in the bombilla so if anyone can tell me how to stop that happening please let me know too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement